What's new

I need your opinions on this prototype

Maybe you should go back to the drawing board and make one that is a straight rack that holds 5 or 6 razors. Skip the cup idea.
Actually, that is a great idea. I am currently using two wooden test tube holders to store my razors. They really are not made for razors. They hold 12 razors each and at one time they were filled. I am currently "down" to 14 razors so two smaller versions holding 6 each would be ideal for me.

1587565715533.png

I personally don't like the looks of it. Even if I did I, like some others, don't have the room for it on my counter so I would not purchase it. Living alone no one else would see it so it would need to serve more of a purpose in order for me to purchase it. Maybe if it were a brush/razor holder of some sort that I could secure to the wall I would be more interested in something like that rather than something that sits on precious space on my counter. Hope this helps.

1. Be candid with us, you aren't going to hurt any feelings - these are prototypes so we can collect info and make them better.

2. How many slots? Four? Five? Six?

I would say four. If I would buy a stand like this it deserves to be out on the counter, so the smaller the better. I also don't need that many razors out at the ready. I usually keep 2 on the counter at the ready and the rest stored in a drawer or cabinet

3. Look closely and you will see the bottom rim is different on these two - which do you prefer?

I prefer the one on the right.

4. Presently the interior is hollow all the way through. Would it be better to have a floor in it or leave it open? Tell us why.

My inclination would be to vote for having a floor in it, namely for extra weight. Keep it bottom heavy for the best stability. Also more conducive to using that center space for storage.

5. Our lather bowls sell for $30.00 and our coffee mug for $24.00. What would you expect these to sell for?

Since it's hand made pottery, I'd expect $30-40.

6. After seeing this picture - would you buy one?

I wonder if the groove should be bigger for a more secure hold. That razor mounted on there looks a bit precarious. I would probably not buy one, but would still consider it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
1. Be candid with us, you aren't going to hurt any feelings - these are prototypes so we can collect info and make them better.

I would say four. If I would buy a stand like this it deserves to be out on the counter, so the smaller the better. I also don't need that many razors out at the ready. I usually keep 2 on the counter at the ready and the rest stored in a drawer or cabinet

3. Look closely and you will see the bottom rim is different on these two - which do you prefer?

I prefer the one on the right.

4. Presently the interior is hollow all the way through. Would it be better to have a floor in it or leave it open? Tell us why.

My inclination would be to vote for having a floor in it, namely for extra weight. Keep it bottom heavy for the best stability. Also more conducive to using that center space for storage.

5. Our lather bowls sell for $30.00 and our coffee mug for $24.00. What would you expect these to sell for?

Since it's hand made pottery, I'd expect $30-40.

I wonder if the groove should be bigger for a more secure hold. That razor mounted on there looks a bit precarious. I would probably not buy one, but would still consider it.

Now that you mention it, I'd like it better if the top part that holds the razors was a little more flat and perpendicular to the ground, so the razors "hung" more secure looking.

Will do my best...

I like four slots. Any more and I think it would look too "busy." If you could fit a brush hanger on it as well, that would be ideal.

I like the one on the left, but I went back and forth for a couple of minutes before deciding.

Definitely a floor, for two reasons. One to add strength and weight so it would be more stable. Two, I'm likely to use it to hold things, such as small samples, toothbrushes, etc.

I'm not the best judge, but I have bought a fair amount of handmade pottery over the years, and probably wouldn't pay more than about $35.00 for a piece like this.

Possibly, maybe even probably, but I would want to see it in living color first.

Thanks for involving us in the proess!

I like the one on the right personally. For how many razors, 4 and a brush. More than that looks kinda cluttered. I wonder why the interior is hollow? Perhaps weight or expense. I'd probably be in the around $35-40 range. And I probably wouldn't buy one. It seems a well made product and worth every penny. But between the few small children I have my wall hung sink, there's no way I could own that for more than 6 hours.

I think they look nice, and prefer the design on the right. 5 razors looks symmetrical. The issue to me is there's no use for the middle section, and I'm all about efficiency. What if you made more of a "bowl" or "mug" shape that had one slot for a razor, one slot for a brush, and the middle could be a textured lather bowl? That way it could store your shave setup for that day, and be used as a lather bowl also. If they're nice and glazed in your blue color, I would pay $45.

1. Very interesting concept. Definitely something I would follow.

2. For me, about 20 would be just right. :001_smile Seriously, I would like six to set up my weekly rotation

3. I like the left side one

4. I prefer it to have a bottom so I could use it for things like shave sticks, blades, straight razors, etc.

5. I would expect the price range to be around $30 - $35

6. After seeing this picture - would you buy one? hmmm....

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Being candid i wouldn't use something like that at all. Assuming its a decorative razor stand. Its too obvious to trick someone as a dribble glass :)
Based on the number of positive reviews im in the minority but thought id weigh in anyway. Good luck cap.

Thanks Guys, so much especially for your candor. That is what helps the most. I have taken your feedback and will have a revised version made for your review. Once we have it in hand I will probably post a picture of it to this thread and solicit feedback again. I do have a helpful way to incorporate a brush holder into it that will work for most any brush. This was one of the suggestions posted, to have a brush holder. So stay tuned, I hope to have something back in a month or so for us to view.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help out on this. It is much appreciated.

~ The Captain

I really don't have any use for it. My extra razors are in a drawer and take up less space than they would be sitting out. Without a bottom, the center is useless. Even if it had a center, I wouldn't store my brush in it, so I guess I like the storage system I currently have.

Pretty cool idea you can store DE razors around the edge and straights on the inside (at least thats what I would do). 30 bucks sounds like a deal to me. Good work.

Seems completely impractical to me. How are you gonna make a lather in it with all those razors hanging off the edge? Also, it is too deep and the brush will bang against the insides of the bowl. You want to make a perfect leather bowl? Look at the Fine Accoutrements leather bowl. It is close to perfect but has a few design problems you could fix.

It looks nice. I cant really comment on which would be better. I have 2 DE razors. I use straights 99 percent of the time, but I understand the functionality. When I had a few DE razors one of those would have been really nice. I would buy one for my brother and nephew if they were around the 25-30 price point.

Seems completely impractical to me. How are you gonna make a lather in it with all those razors hanging off the edge? Also, it is too deep and the brush will bang against the insides of the bowl. You want to make a perfect leather bowl? Look at the Fine Accoutrements leather bowl. It is close to perfect but has a few design problems you could fix.

It's not a lather bowl or a lather mug. He even says it's open all the way through. It is a storage system for razors.

I like the one on the right with the five slots and rolled bottom. Since it basically is a flower pot. It would look cool if there was some sort of center stand in the interior to stand brushes on like a bouquet of flowers. Wives would love that in the bathroom.

I don’t like the look of the bases (sticking out), and I’m a less is more of a person so I would find this would take up unnecessary room especially as i only have 2 razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom