What's new

I need your help solving my case of SBAD!

Good evening, gents! I find myself in urgent need of your help. It seems I've been struck with my first major flareup of Shaving Brush Acquisition Disorder. I've thought long and hard about the situation, and I've come to the conclusion that the only way to resolve the issue is to give in and buy a new brush. My trusty Simpson Berkeley 46B best badger has served me well for the last year, mind, you, but the allure of something shiny and new is simply too overwhelming. The problem is that I can't seem to decide which direction to go now that I've narrowed it down to a few finalists. I like the basic size and feel of my Berkeley, so I'm not looking to run too far in another direction. I guess you could say that I'm looking for a brush that's one louder. I don't want to lose everything I love in the Simpson, I just want to increase the overall quality of my shaving experience. This is the part where I should probably mention that I'm a face latherer who uses about 75% soaps/25% creams and that I'm looking to keep this purchase under $100. I'm listing the Berkeley's vital stats alongside those of the contending finalists below for the sake of comparison. Please do me the favor of giving them a look and letting me know what you think. Thanks so much for the help, folks!

Simpson Berkeley 46B (Current Brush)
Hair Type: Best Badger
Handle Height: 45mm
Knot Diameter: 20mm
Brush Loft: 45mm
Price: N/A

Simpson Duke 2 (Contender #1)
Hair Type: Best Badger
Handle Height: 41mm
Knot Diameter: 21mm
Brush Loft: 46mm
Price: $92.60 (West Coast Shaving)

Rooney 1/1 (Contender #2)
Hair Type: "Super" Silvertip
Handle Height: 42mm
Knot Diameter: 22mm
Brush Loft: 44mm
Price: $84.99 (Vintage Blades)

Rooney 1/2 (Contender #3)
Hair Type: "Super" Silvertip
Handle Height: 48mm
Knot Diameter: 24mm
Brush Loft: 50mm
Price: $99.99 (Vintage Blades)

Wet Shaving Products Semi-Custom (Contender #4)
Hair Type: Superfine Badger Two Band
Handle Height: 48mm
Knot Diameter: 24mm
Brush Loft: 48mm to 54mm (selectable)
Price $80 (Wet Shaving Products)

I know that's a lot to digest, but I appreciate any input you fine folks might have. Please let me know if you have any questions that might help you point me in the right directions. I'm really looking forward to seeing your feedback! Thanks in advance!

I'm definitely subscribing to this thread, Will. I'm looking for a new brush as well. The choices you've laid out are right up my alley. Are looking for scritch-less? Do you face lather or use a bowl/mug/scuttle?

I'm definitely subscribing to this thread, Will. I'm looking for a new brush as well. The choices you've laid out are right up my alley. Are looking for scritch-less? Do you face lather or use a bowl/mug/scuttle?

Good to know I'm not the only one out there with very specific tastes! To answer your questions, I'm a face latherer who has no idea how much scritch he likes. All of the badgers I've ever used have been Simpson best and I've genuinely loved them. Hope that helps!

How large are your hands? Do you have any quips with the handle of your Berkeley? Are you willing to buy used? I'd take the Duke out of contention as it's incredibly similar to your Berkeley.

What do you want to change about your Berkeley? Denser? More backbone? Scrubbier? Less scritchy?

No point getting a second Simpson in best Badger IMO.
I'd shoot for a silvertip brush or a 2-band.
I like my Da Vinci 293 a lot, I got it last month while the 33% off sale was on (it might still work). The Duke2 has more backbone due to it's shorter loft but the 293 is far from floppy and is more to my liking in every aspect than the duke2. The duke2 is nice and i still use it in my rotation, but i think one representative of Simpson's Best is enough.

Get them all, of course.

But if you must choose, I would select the Rooney 1/2 for its larger knot and super silvertip hair. If it turns out that you do not like it, a 1/2 on the BST will generally move quickly.

Simpson makes a great brush in best. I would try to step up to a Duke 3, pure badger if you must, and don't look back.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the great feedback so far, folks. To answer a few of your questions...

I have pretty large hands, but I've been very pleased with the size of my Berkeley's handle. I could handle a little more width, but the shorter height has been outstanding for face lathering. As for what I'd like to change about the knot, I don't think I'd like to see much more scritch or scrub but I would be interested in trying out a brush that's even denser than the already well packed Berkeley knot. As for backbone, I'd say more would be nice for those times that I use triple milled soaps (a situation that's becoming more and more common).

How does the Rooney super silvertip compare to the Simpson best knot? Are they of similar density? Is backbone going to be a problem with the "softer" hair? What about knot size? The Berkeley has a pretty compact knot, and the 1/2 is notably bigger. How is that going to be perceived when it comes to face lathering?

+1 I think you should try something 2-band and the SOC is a cost effective way to dip your toes in the pool.

I'm keen on the idea of trying a two band brush, but the handle on that SOC is HUGE! I've always been very happy with more compact handles despite having pretty massive hands.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I have a dozen Simpsons, so I can't embrace the "no point in getting another Simpson" advice. But sticking to your list, I don't see the Duke 2 as being a full notch louder than your Berkeley.

I reach for 2-bands more often than 3-bands, but I enjoy having and using both. They're different.

My recommendation from among the brushes on your list would be the Rooney 1/2. 24mm is at least a full notch bigger. The 1/2 has a great handle with a great, medium-sized knot. I'd expect the 3-band to be softer than your Berkeley's Best Badger knot, but also bigger and more luxurious, so louder in those respects. Mine works fine for face lathering. I also think the 1/2 offers terrific value.

Last edited:
I have a dozen Simpsons, so I can't embrace the "no point in getting another Simpson" advice. But sticking to your list, I don't see the Duke 2 as being a full notch louder than your Berkeley.

I reach for 2-bands more often the 3-bands, but I enjoy having and using both. They're different.

My recommendation from among the brushes on your list would be the Rooney 1/2. 24mm is at least a full notch bigger. The 1/2 has a great handle with a great, medium-sized knot. I'd expect the 3-band to be softer than your Berkeley's Best Badger knot, but also bigger and more luxurious, so louder in those respects. Mine works fine for face lathering. I also think the 1/2 offers terrific value.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's completely reasonable to stockpile Simpsons. I'm also glad that you understood what I meant when I said I wanted a brush that's "one louder." Looks like I'm headed to the Rooney bin to see what I can find. Now that we've settled that, I do have one more question. Where's the best place to buy a Rooney. Should I grab the Rooney branded model from Vintage Blades or the Truefitt & Hill branded model from the T&H website? It's my understanding that they're the exact same brush, but I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong. Assuming I'm right, it seems T&H is the way to go, as they offer us a discount and they include a shaving cream and ASB sampler pack with the order. Thoughts?

I'm keen on the idea of trying a two band brush, but the handle on that SOC is HUGE! I've always been very happy with more compact handles despite having pretty massive hands.

The SOC handle design is very ergonimic and I like it much better than the Duke 2's. To be honest, that shape that dominates most of the Simpson's lines leaves something to be desired compared to the SOC or the Da Vinci 293, at least in my opinion.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's completely reasonable to stockpile Simpsons. I'm also glad that you understood what I meant when I said I wanted a brush that's "one louder." Looks like I'm headed to the Rooney bin to see what I can find. Now that we've settled that, I do have one more question. Where's the best place to buy a Rooney. Should I grab the Rooney branded model from Vintage Blades or the Truefitt & Hill branded model from the T&H website? It's my understanding that they're the exact same brush, but I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong. Assuming I'm right, it seems T&H is the way to go, as they offer us a discount and they include a shaving cream and ASB sampler pack with the order. Thoughts?

Others can advise you with regard to Rooney vs. T&H. I don't know the present answer.

I can say I've had great experience with Vintage Blades.

Good luck. Let us know what you finally decide, and be sure to post your impressions along with pics.

The handle on the SOC is fairly large, but it really well designed. I have wide hands but short fingers. One would think I would find the brush unwieldy. The exact opposite is true. The SOC two band is a great brush at a reasonable price. I have the cherry wood model which is really great looking in person and a nice bit of variety from resin/plastic handles.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Kent BK4 (or 8 if you want bigger).
I loved my Berk while I had it and the Kent is a very nice step up, while maintaining many of the attributes which made the Berkeley so nice: soft tips and great flow through (i.e. not a lather hog)

Top Bottom