What's new

I need some support - 1st straight shave..

Have decided to jump..

Here in Oz we have a whole week of days off (Easter and ANZAC Day plus a 3 sickies!). Doesn't matter cos I won't turn up to work looking like an extra from an Elm Street movie on the 2nd May.

First straight shave 2 days ago, using a Feather Artist, I have a couple of straghts but thought the Feather would be sharper than anything I could hone at the moment.. Anyway

First shave, nothing fancy, just straight down from sideburn to chin, both sides.
I have to admit the result was far from amazing, I reckon I took off more skin than whiskers!! I am amazed that you can shave off the top layer of skin and still leave the hair behind!!

Anyway Day 4, Shave no2, needed 2 days to recover from the first shave, managed to get through both cheeks with less blood, the styptic is getting lots of use.

Day 6, Shave 3 is tomorrow, this straight shave thing is really good once you get it figured out.. ???

Here where I need the support, I am running out of blood!!! Any tips that I could try right now.

Cheers

Last edited:
switch to a real straight. its nott about the sharpest edge its about the smoothest. If they are recently honed I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

Legion

Staff member
Practice, practice, practice, my friend.

And don't think you have to do your whole face right off. Personally, after trying what you did, I took the advice of others, and just started on my cheeks, then finished with a safety razor. The next time I did a bit more. It takes a while, but creep up on it. Not many people can get a passable straight shave right off the bat.

Nobodies testing you. Take as long as is needed.

+1 on both comments.

Practice is key. It's important not to try to do too much at first. Getting through the pass (or limited one) properly is goal 1. IME, you don't notice good quality shaves until you get your tech down. As far as being worth it, many will agree that once you are proficent in straight shaving you will be very pleased with the results.

Thank you Gentlemen..

Looks like I need more that 6 days to master this art!

But I'll keep trying..

Cheers

The advice above is good. Relax, if you are taking skin you likely are using too much pressure or angle. The one thing about a good straight shave that seems to be consistent for most of us is that there is less irritation than a DE shave. Just enough to keep the blade under control, no more pressure than that.

There is a steep learning curve, but, yes, it is well worth it once you are there.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Thank you Gentlemen..

But I'll keep trying..

Cheers

Yes indeed more than 6 days.

Prep is a huge factor. If you have not already seen it . . . look up Kyle's prep. Also, any pressure tends to make for a sad shave. Keep in mind you are shaving your beard rather than your face. Imagine the blade skimming lightly over your face just catching the hairs not taking off the first three layers of skin.

another pointer to keep in mind (and you may already be able to file this under obvious) is keeping your hand, and where it meets the razor, dry. It will help with control which of course is key. The slightest moisture can be dangerous and also will tend to make you able more pressure to avoid slippage.

It took me 2-3 months before I started getting consistently good shaves all around with a straight. The learning curve is steep and long, but hang in there and it will come together for you. I would also recommend a real straight. They are much more forgiving to learn with. Good luck.

Thank you Gentlemen..

But I'll keep trying..

Cheers

Like you, I recently made the jump into straight shaving via the Feather AC (I'd been a longtime electric user before that). And like you, my first few attempts were a complete bloodbath.

However, three weeks in and I am shaving daily with no irritation and only a couple of weepers on my chin and neck area (still trying to figure those out). I'm also starting to get shaves that are, at worst, presentable, and at best are approaching BBS in many areas.

The Feather is quite an unforgiving implement, but that has some advantages too; it won't let you get away with sloppy technique, and the extreme sharpness will start to produce awesome shaves almost the second that you get the hand of it.

The trick is, as everyone else has pointed out, pressure and angle. I find that the traditional advice of a 30 degree angle is too steep for the Feather. Keeping the head of the razor nearly or even totally flush with your face, and using no pressure on your skin, you will get an almost tickling sensation, and beard hair will start to disappear as if by magic. If you can feel the sharp edge of the blade on your skin, no matter how lightly, you are using too much angle or too much pressure, and it is likely that blood (if too much pressure) or razor burn (if too much angle) will be following.

I can't offer any advice RE switching to one of your other straights, but I can say that the Feather is by no means too difficult for a rookie to learn, if you're willing to put in the time.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Those franken-razors will not deliver the quality of shave that you get from a true shave-ready straight. However, if you are faced with honing your own razors as a beginner, then the Feather is the lesser of two weevils.

If your pressure is light and your prep and lather are spot on, then it is probably your angle being too high or not stretching the skin properly or not following the growth direction properly. All these factors will give you an uncomfortable shave.

Start out with the razor flat against your face. Now rotate the spine outward just slightly. Pull it away from your face a bit, start your stroke and touch it to your face. It should shave. It doesn't take much angle to get cutting action. Make sure you are stretching the skin. Loose skin is an invitation to cuts and abrasion. And don't worry about getting totally smooth on the first pass. It won't happen anyway, so don't force it. REDUCE your beard on the first all-over pass, then relather and do another pass. The light touch combined with low angle, skin stretching, following the grain, and a second WTG pass should give you a decent enough shave and zero irritation.

I don't believe in touchups with the DE. I think it best to learn to rely on the straight right off the bat. A little rough spot here or there is a good incentive to work on your technique. You will get great shaves sooner if you leave the DE crutch in the medicine cabinet.

Those franken-razors will not deliver the quality of shave that you get from a true shave-ready straight. However, if you are faced with honing your own razors as a beginner, then the Feather is the lesser of two weevils.

If your pressure is light and your prep and lather are spot on, then it is probably your angle being too high or not stretching the skin properly or not following the growth direction properly. All these factors will give you an uncomfortable shave.

Start out with the razor flat against your face. Now rotate the spine outward just slightly. Pull it away from your face a bit, start your stroke and touch it to your face. It should shave. It doesn't take much angle to get cutting action. Make sure you are stretching the skin. Loose skin is an invitation to cuts and abrasion. And don't worry about getting totally smooth on the first pass. It won't happen anyway, so don't force it. REDUCE your beard on the first all-over pass, then relather and do another pass. The light touch combined with low angle, skin stretching, following the grain, and a second WTG pass should give you a decent enough shave and zero irritation.

I don't believe in touchups with the DE. I think it best to learn to rely on the straight right off the bat. A little rough spot here or there is a good incentive to work on your technique. You will get great shaves sooner if you leave the DE crutch in the medicine cabinet.

This is all great advise and I couldn't agree more:thumbup1:

Remember to stretch the skin from behind the direction of growth - this will raise the whiskers.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Clive, go easy with that straight. You will get there but you need practice. Keep in mind that pressure should be mild to none. You are probably applying a bit of pressure on the tip of the blade or the heel. You got cat scratch-like cuts?

I would recommend to use a honed straight (real straight), much easier with the angle.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Clive, go easy with that straight. You will get there but you need practice. Keep in mind that pressure should be mild to none. You are probably applying a bit of pressure on the tip of the blade or the heel. You got cat scratch-like cuts?

I would recommend to use a honed straight (real straight), much easier with the angle.

Oh yeah... with one of "those" razors, the edge is shorter than a regular straight. It would be easier to dig heel or point into the skin. I bet that is the cause of a lot of the irritation that beginners get from using those things. Good call.

Top Bottom