What's new

I need some advice

I am coming to the experts. I possess a body built by bad decisions and the problems that go with it. Plus I’m fat.

I need to get out and move. I have a recumbent stationary and I try to use it 3 times a week. Started a few weeks ago. I want to get outside though. That’s the problem. I walked hard for a mile. Rested for about five minutes (cuz I was about to die) and walked back as hard as I went. I was on sidewalks. The tendons in the tops of both feet right above the arch put me out of commission for three days. I couldn’t even pedal without real bad pain.

I have flatfeet that pronate. I have 6 month old Merrill’s with 3/4 inserts for plantar fasciitis which I just got over.

Any ideas how to avoid this pain or should I just stick to pedaling And watching TV?

anything helps.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I used to get really bad shin splints. Started slowly. Slow walks. Short walks. Walk one day rest the next. If I got sore I took a few days off. Then slowly again. It took a while before I could walk a few miles daily. Now no issues. That’s the only advice this old man can give.
Good luck. Just don’t give up.

Visit a "run on" store. They fit you, assess your feet, and make sure you get the absolute best shoe for your foot type.

Visit a "run on" store. They fit you, assess your feet, and make sure you get the absolute best shoe for your foot type.
Yeah
Try to find a place to fit you with proper footwear. Excellent start.
I’d also say visit your dr. Get a physical and just start. Slow at first and make it a habit to move more. You can build on success and when you do the momentum of your different lifestyle/life will help who you are now become who you want to be.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Fix your diet ... that opens a can of worms. No, don’t eat the worms ... it’s a metaphor.

Ride a bike outside ... get whatever proper shoes and/or inserts you need to walk in comfort ... and don’t overdo it all at once.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
As mentioned by others, just start out small and build up from there. I have the tendency to go out too hard and finish up in pain. You could start with just walking around the block for a week and then trying two blocks and building up from there. Or alternatively you could go to a park or sports oval and just walk a lap to two everyday and build up from there. I was always told when I was trying to lose weight was that “the more that you move the more that you lose“.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
There’s some good advice on this thread.

Everyone deserves a positive ‘reaction score’.

I would try swimming. This would be the best way to take pressure off of the body and any trouble spots. You can make it as hard or as easy as you like. It will get you out of the house and in front of some scantly clad females (and males). An added bonus if that is your thing.

I can also strongly recommend the 5:2 fasting diet from personal experience. I have been doing this for just over a year due to high cholesterol. The cholesterol was believed to be genetic and I was recommended medication. Well the 5:2 regime has fixed the cholesterol right up and the weight has fallen off as an added bonus. It takes some getting used to but if you can stick with it the results are worth it. Google search Michael Mosely 5:2 and he will show you how it’s done.

If you are in pain, you are over-exercising. Continuing at this level can quickly lead to chronic injury. Even 50 feet is enough if that's all you can do.

Don't use any medication to stop pain unless needed to sleep. Killing the pain makes it easy to go out and injure the area some more.

Exercise is important, but it's hard to burn enough calories to put a serious dent in weight control.

I suggest reading "The Starch Solution" by Dr. McDougall.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
#1 is to change your diet. Eat smaller amounts more often, that speeds up your metabolism. Eat fresh foods. Eat more fish and green salads. No junk food. No junk food. No kidding, no junk food! Potato chips, Doritos, fast foods will kill you. Dont eat any. I havent had a single potato chip since Sept. 2015.

Dont push yourself too hard. Walk at an easy pace and think distance, not time or exertion level. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Before you know it you'll be walking 5 miles without breaking a sweat. Well, seeing as your in Arizona, that might be a stretch haha.

If you like dogs, get one. Walk it. I used to take mine for walks of between 3 and 5 miles a night, every night.

Doing what I outlined above, I lost 35lbs in 6 months and its stayed off. Once the weight starts to go everything becomes easier.

The hardest part of it all is having the will to see it through. You can do it, you just need to want too. Given, in my case, the alternative was death, I found the motivation lol.

While it's great that you're getting more active, a change in diet is in order and will mean far more in the long run. You don't have to cut out everything at once, but I'd start with avoiding as much extra sugar as you can. If you drink soda, switch to diet or sugar free drink mix. Juices are typically sugar laden and defeat the whole purpose.

A good rule of thumb I like to tell people is the 90/10 rule, 90% of your calories should come from relatively clean, whole foods; let the other 10% more or less be what you want, but still try to be a little more cognizant of calories and excess sugar. Make that time a meal that you get to enjoy with your family or friends, don't try to be overly restrictive. When you tell people they can't have a certain food, that's all they're going to want. Gradually make better and better choices. Instead of getting a bunch of greasy burgers from a fast food joint, make your own with fresh ingredients and have, say, some baked steak fries or sweet potato fries on the side.

Same thing goes for exercise, start gradually. I'll mention, however, to not expect miraculous fat loss from it. Exercise burns far fewer calories than most people realize, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't still try to be more active. Diet is the key, here, and will do a lot more for you from a weight loss perspective than walking or pedaling a bike. As your diet improves, so will the way you feel and you'll eventually be able to do more and more.

First, CONGRATULATIONS! It is tough to admit you have a problem. :punk: :punk:

Some great advice in this thread!

I suggest you set small goals that you can achieve! It took a good while to get where you are now. It will take a good bit of effort to improve.

Thanks. I thought I was starting slow. Guess not. It took a little while to figure out what a Run-On store was. There is nothing like that near me. 2.5 hour drive to the nearest one.

Anyone ever use those mail order custom inserts where you mold your feet they make the inserts and send them to you? I checked and I won't be able to get in to see the foot doctor until April and even then it is a 5 hour drive away. I hate my new insurance.

I am coming to the experts. I possess a body built by bad decisions and the problems that go with it. Plus I’m fat.

I need to get out and move. I have a recumbent stationary and I try to use it 3 times a week. Started a few weeks ago. I want to get outside though. That’s the problem. I walked hard for a mile. Rested for about five minutes (cuz I was about to die) and walked back as hard as I went. I was on sidewalks. The tendons in the tops of both feet right above the arch put me out of commission for three days. I couldn’t even pedal without real bad pain.

I have flatfeet that pronate. I have 6 month old Merrill’s with 3/4 inserts for plantar fasciitis which I just got over.

Any ideas how to avoid this pain or should I just stick to pedaling And watching TV?

anything helps.
I had used MyFitnessPal app in 2015, I blew the dust off it and I’m journaling my meals again and hopefully will start to exercise again. It was because of mention on this wonderful forum. I intend to be answerable to this site and the app. All the advice on here is helpful I would second the opinion to start with a doctor’s visit. Set reasonable goals. Do not try to over achieve in the early going, pay attention to your body, drink water stay hydrated. No body is perfect slips and failures are ok providing they become less and less frequent. You will succeed. Please revisit and let us know how you are doing. We want you to be successful and clean shaved.

Diet is a constant problem. One I fight with on a daily basis. I feel like I am making small progress with. Still fat though.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Anyone ever use those mail order custom inserts where you mold your feet they make the inserts and send them to you? I checked and I won't be able to get in to see the foot doctor until April and even then it is a 5 hour drive away. I hate my new insurance.

There is help for your feet.

When I was doing snow removal on city contracts, sidewalks and such with 100% concrete surfaces, I was getting sore feet. Through a friend I learned about industrial supply stores. The kind that supply auto manufacturer assembly line workers. I went to one and asked for advice. They said try these and handed me a pair of $50 insoles. The instructions for them stated that they needed to be put in the oven at, if I remember right, 150°F for 5 minutes, then quickly put into the footwear and stood on until they cooled.

Doing that molded them to my feet and my sore foot problem was solved.

Look for an industrial supply store and talk to someone in there.

Industry Suppliers — Pedorthics Canada - https://pedorthicscanada.ca/industry-suppliers/

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Diet is a constant problem. One I fight with on a daily basis. I feel like I am making small progress with. Still fat though.

It takes time to lose weight. It also takes the perseverance to see it through. Results dont happen overnight, be patient and stick with it. You're not alone. I crave chocolate often. Its a curse lol.

DIET! it can be a loaded word. Think in terms of food choices with the choices being healthy and nutritious you have now made a lifestyle change. Your lifestyle change will now propel you to achieve your goals. Everybody needs junk. Pick one day a week where you can indulge in a little junk. When your success starts too kick in cut back on junk days. Journal, Journal, Journal. I’ve been in and out of weight watchers four times over the decades. Journaling helps you to examine and accept what you are doing on a daily basis. If you are not happy with what you did today, do better tomorrow.

Top Bottom