What's new

I need help on how should i trim my moustache.

Hey guys,i'll hit 5th month in 2 days of growing a moustache but i decided to trim them since i can't control the hairs,and it leaves me with no other option than trim them and start over,wher i'd train them properly this time....So i've been looking into trimming them to Pierce Brosnan stache style or David Beckham,but i'm not quite sure how should i trim them and which direction (to have those tiny edge tails)....Should i comb the whole moustache down and then do a scissor cut at an angle all the way thru,while following lip line,cutting thru the "tails/ends" of my stache as well...Or should i first take the "tails",seperate them from the middle,twirl them and cut them at desired length,and then cut the middle part.
What i'd want is to trim them,especially the tails but again...to have some of that edge tail so it'd still give me just a tiny bit of that edge so it'd look pointy at the edges.
So any help and advice you could give me,i'd appreciate it :).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 38
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 61
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210603_094721.jpg
    IMG_20210603_094721.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 67
Here's a bit more pics if it's needed....

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_094721.jpg
    IMG_20210603_094721.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210603_094824.jpg
    IMG_20210603_094824.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210605_203918.jpg
    IMG_20210605_203918.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210605_203947.jpg
    IMG_20210605_203947.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20210607_190749.jpg
    IMG_20210607_190749.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 44

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Have you ever tried mustache wax?

Looks good as is to me.

I'd never seen any of those pics of one of the best 007's before! I think you could rock those.

That is an awesome stache. If you are interested in the Pierce Brosnan, congratulations! You are there! No need to start over. MINIMAL trimming is needed. Just combing and some product (wax, Got2Be) to keep it in place ("training"). Just comb from the center to sweep the hair to the sides. The longer hair gives volume to the "end tails" or "handlebars." The wax keeps it out of your mouth.

Some general guidelines:

Always cut less than you think you should; very little at a time.

Use small scissors, not electric clippers.

Trimming tips to neaten things up:

You can cut a small triangle at the center as those tiny hairs at the top center of the lip will not grow long or in the right direction. You can also trim with the tips of the scissors up the center to give a little definition to the center, separating the sides.

To even out the end tips, comb out to the sides, and even use wax if you want. Snip the straggling hairs at the very tips (but NOT TOO MUCH). Do it once on each side, but DO NOT go back and forth side to side; you will chop off the tips. Check again the next day to see if you need to trim the tips a little more.

To give a neater appearance, you can use a razor to straighten the top line to a nice angle. Not too much, just a nice edged line.

If the constant hair in the mouth is driving you crazy and you want to trim (with scissors) along a small portion of the lip line, comb straight down, then smile broadly as you cut across the straight line. When you relax, the moustache will have a very natural looking line (tip from Sultan of Silver on YouTube). I suggest taking off very little at a time, going no more than 1 to 1.5 cm. from the center on each side (just shy of nose width).

Last edited:
Those last five pics your moustache looks fantastic. Very little wax goes a long way try it and see how it works out, good luck!

Reactions: ewk
Have you ever tried mustache wax?

Looks good as is to me.

I'd never seen any of those pics of one of the best 007's before! I think you could rock those.
Hehe thanks,but i think it's time for a trim.Yes i've tried mustache wax but it just didn't work.
That is an awesome stache. If you are interested in the Pierce Brosnan, congratulations! You are there! No need to start over. MINIMAL trimming is needed. Just combing and some product (wax, Got2Be) to keep it in place ("training"). Just comb from the center to sweep the hair to the sides. The longer hair gives volume to the "end tails" or "handlebars." The wax keeps it out of your mouth.

Some general guidelines:

Always cut less than you think you should; very little at a time.

Use small scissors, not electric clippers.

Trimming tips to neaten things up:

You can cut a small triangle at the center as those tiny hairs at the top center of the lip will not grow long or in the right direction. You can also trim with the tips of the scissors up the center to give a little definition to the center, separating the sides.

To even out the end tips, comb out to the sides, and even use wax if you want. Snip the straggling hairs at the very tips (but NOT TOO MUCH). Do it once on each side, but DO NOT go back and forth side to side; you will chop off the tips. Check again the next day to see if you need to trim the tips a little more.

To give a neater appearance, you can use a razor to straighten the top line to a nice angle. Not too much, just a nice edged line.

If the constant hair in the mouth is driving you crazy and you want to trim (with scissors) along a small portion of the lip line, comb straight down, then smile broadly as you cut across the straight line. When you relax, the moustache will have a very natural looking line (tip from Sultan of Silver on YouTube). I suggest taking off very little at a time, going no more than 1 to 1.5 cm. from the center on each side (just shy of nose width).
I tried 2 types of waxes but it didn't help tame the hairs,and as for scissors i only have those longer ones for head hair (i couldn't find small stache scissors at my place),11cm but i think i can work with them too,better than a kitchen scissors heh.
Yeah those long hairs are kinda frustrating when they get in the mouth that's why i wanna trim them too,because hair on the both sides of my moustache tend to grow indwards and curl right in the mouth and almost under the lips from inside mouth lol,and i can't keep them tamed even with wax,and i wasn't training the hairs properly.
And as for the ends,i just have to cut them off....there's just no way to train them for a curl at this stage.During the growth,i was playing with various moustache styles,and i think that's what messed the ends so much so they look so frizzy and growing in all sort of directions,especially when i tried to train the hairs for a handlebar (when they were shorter),i was twisting/twirling ends instead of just pulling,and wasn't using wax at that time nor any product,right side could kinda pass i think,but the left side definitely needs to be trimmed down (maybe even to the very edge of my the lip) because it's much more messier and uncontrollable then right side.
I'll definitely take one (small) snip at a time,for both middle hairs and the ends and see how it'll go_One problem that's bothering me as well is that my left side isn't so full as the other one,i might try those derma rollers,see if they actually work to fill in those missing hairs lol,but i doubt.

I found THIS video,Berzinsky of course lol.He doesn't say it in this one,but in some other one he mentioned Bruno on that "smile and cut" technique and he said it doesn't works as good as his,so can't tell who's right on that one hehe.....
Thanks a lot for the great advices :).

Those last five pics your moustache looks fantastic. Very little wax goes a long way try it and see how it works out, good luck!
Thank you :),i tried it already but doesn't work for me.

You do have a great stache. If my wife didn't complain, I would let mine grow all the way out and just wax. As it is, I smile a closed lip smile when I trim. It gives me a good, natural line on the stache. And the center divot is a must for proper styling.

Id agree to using wax, trimming with scissors and trimming less than you think you need. I let my moustache grow out a bit, not quite like a handlbar but I do try to middle part it and I trim it so that its just as my lip line.
I also only trim it at my lip line. Ive seen some people use a comb as a guide to thin it and IMO it looks so much thicker and fulled if you only cut at your lip and let the rest grow.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Like other I would recommend using wax rather than trimming. It is a good looking moustache that has great potential to be a great moustache.

Okay, so to me the best thing to do is go to a good barber that's good with facial hair. Tell them what you want and then pay attention to how they do it. I prefer clippers to scissors. I find that they give me better control. But I really only take care of what's over my lip.

Also, wax will work for you. You just have to find the right mix of wax, how much you use, and how to use it that works for you. Wax has been styling all kinds of mustaches for a long, long time. It can get yours where you want it too.

strop

Now half as wise
I would agree that there is no to trim aggressively. I never trim more than 1/8 in at a time on only one side a day.

You didn’t say what kind of wax you tried. There are infinite degrees of hold, especially if you make your own. Some starches, mine included, do their own thing, no matter how much you try to train them. That may be yours. I would also recommend a brush to shape it to the sides.

Mine will go straight down like yours if left alone, but after getting long enough can be brushed to the sides and will stay, but I still need to use wax on the ends.

Id agree to using wax, trimming with scissors and trimming less than you think you need. I let my moustache grow out a bit, not quite like a handlbar but I do try to middle part it and I trim it so that its just as my lip line.
I also only trim it at my lip line. Ive seen some people use a comb as a guide to thin it and IMO it looks so much thicker and fulled if you only cut at your lip and let the rest grow.
Today is a day hehe,my hand's already shaking even tho i didn't even took scissors in my hand lol.
Like other I would recommend using wax rather than trimming. It is a good looking moustache that has great potential to be a great moustache.
Thanks,but they have to go (not completely :D),the hairs on my left side are too wiry/frizzy and they're doing the opposite kind of curl,they curl downards.The more i wait it's just gonna become messier and i'll be less patient,so i decided to trim them a bit now,so after like maybe 2-3 months they should be back again...
Okay, so to me the best thing to do is go to a good barber that's good with facial hair. Tell them what you want and then pay attention to how they do it. I prefer clippers to scissors. I find that they give me better control. But I really only take care of what's over my lip.

Also, wax will work for you. You just have to find the right mix of wax, how much you use, and how to use it that works for you. Wax has been styling all kinds of mustaches for a long, long time. It can get yours where you want it too.
I was thinking going to a barber,but since i kinda doubt between two styles that i want,i'd like to do it myself and kinda see if i'm able to do it...if not i'll just go to my barber and have him fix it if possible....Also one question,what's the length of your stache and how do you trim them,i mean...with hairs combed down or with hairs swept to side like on THIS video,the technique from the video seems kinda give an imprecise cut to the hairs...
I would agree that there is no to trim aggressively. I never trim more than 1/8 in at a time on only one side a day.

You didn’t say what kind of wax you tried. There are infinite degrees of hold, especially if you make your own. Some starches, mine included, do their own thing, no matter how much you try to train them. That may be yours. I would also recommend a brush to shape it to the sides.

Mine will go straight down like yours if left alone, but after getting long enough can be brushed to the sides and will stay, but I still need to use wax on the ends.
I used proraso wax,but it's more like a cream than actual wax,and some old german one that i found in my home after 4 years,didn't even knew it was wax lol.
Also i don't have that big of a choice when it comes to buying wax,also buying from Ebay/Amazon would be a big shipping cost so...i only can stick with what i have avilable here.

I had the same problem as you: natural curl of the hair wanted to go inward. I got tired of working against nature. Plus, each side filled in differently, so the sides were not symmetrical. If there was natural symmetry, for me the wax and extra effort would be worth it.

How does that translate to how you should trim? I would say let the natural growth determine how you trim.

For over the lips, you will probably notice a point where the ends of the hair start to get out of line from each other. From the root to over the lip the hair will more or less behave and look orderly. Where they stray, somewhere over the fleshy part or below your lip you can determine the line; depends on how far you want the stache to cover your lip. This will keep you sane when eating and drinking.

For the ends, again you will probably notice a point where the hair naturally curls in the opposite direction you want it to lay.

Perhaps you’re not using enough wax, or something that’s just not strong enough?

Edit: I see you used the proraso stuff. There’s your problem. Belongs in the trash IMO. Get rid of it and grab something with some hold.

that said, I agree with pretty much everything everyone’s said already.

strop

Now half as wise
Hair grows like it wants to. Don’t be disappointed if it grows back the same. You have to have some length to be able to shape it. The fullness of the style you are after depends on hair from near the middle growing out to the sides, which is why I only trim the very outer tips.

Wax is easy to make. Get some beeswax and melt it with some kind of “oil”. I’ve used mineral oil, petroleum jelly, and coconut oil with good results. Less so with castor oil or argan oil. Just experiment to get the stiffness you like.

But regardless of wax, length is the key.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Mine will only train to a small degree. Switching to a brush over a comb has made it much softer and more manageable. I have to keep the wild hairs trimmed or I am always chewing on them. I use a balm but don't like the feel of a heavy wax that really holds. I use a scissors to trim my upper lip.

What @strop is not telling y'all above is his avatar is damn good impersonation of his real stache.

I had the same problem as you: natural curl of the hair wanted to go inward. I got tired of working against nature. Plus, each side filled in differently, so the sides were not symmetrical. If there was natural symmetry, for me the wax and extra effort would be worth it.

How does that translate to how you should trim? I would say let the natural growth determine how you trim.

For over the lips, you will probably notice a point where the ends of the hair start to get out of line from each other. From the root to over the lip the hair will more or less behave and look orderly. Where they stray, somewhere over the fleshy part or below your lip you can determine the line; depends on how far you want the stache to cover your lip. This will keep you sane when eating and drinking.

For the ends, again you will probably notice a point where the hair naturally curls in the opposite direction you want it to lay.
Hair grows like it wants to. Don’t be disappointed if it grows back the same. You have to have some length to be able to shape it. The fullness of the style you are after depends on hair from near the middle growing out to the sides, which is why I only trim the very outer tips.

Wax is easy to make. Get some beeswax and melt it with some kind of “oil”. I’ve used mineral oil, petroleum jelly, and coconut oil with good results. Less so with castor oil or argan oil. Just experiment to get the stiffness you like.

But regardless of wax, length is the key.
I'll try to experiment with wax making one day but not for now.So....i underestimated difficulty of mustache trimming hah 😅,i picked a wrong trimming technique from one video and first cut made it clear i'd have to cut them to 0 lol,i should've just make a straight cut (to kinda get almost like a brush stache)...but i'm not upset that much,knowing they'll grow back again.And i think i won't let them grow this long again,1-2 months (max 3 months)and i'll trim them to "dallas" style i think it's called (like ryan gosling had in other guys),i rocked them before this as my first stache and i found they suit my look nicely for my taste...
IMG_20210104_184507.jpg
But thanks a lot for advices and directions though,i appreciate it really much.
Mine will only train to a small degree. Switching to a brush over a comb has made it much softer and more manageable. I have to keep the wild hairs trimmed or I am always chewing on them. I use a balm but don't like the feel of a heavy wax that really holds. I use a scissors to trim my upper lip.
Boar bristle brush right,what kind do you have...i mean what's the softness of it,i assume there are maybe soft,medium and hard "texture/stifness"??

Last edited:
Reactions: ewk
Top Bottom