What's new

I need help identifying a cast iron pan.

I picked this pan up at a thrift store the other day and thought I would try to find out a little more about it. I know it will probable be impossible to find out for sure who and when it was made because it doesn't have a name on it. What I do know is that it has an unusual handle and a gate mark on the bottom. I am also wondering if it's a re-cast or not.

$2017-01-17 17.00.25.jpg

$2017-01-17 17.00.34.jpg

$2017-01-17 17.01.07.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I have no idea on the maker. That line across the bottom is called a gate mark. That is a sign the cast iron from mid the late 1800's. When that old they usually had no manufactures name on them. IMHO it is not a recast, it is to clean. It's a nice piece he been well over 100 years old. Use it and have fun.

Last edited:
Pre-1900, likely pre-1890. I'm guessing early-mid 1880s. It's original.

If you do a Google image search on this you'll get a lot of similar results but not a lot of additional info re the maker.

The top of the handle is ornate for the time. The handle connection to the skillet is plain for the time. The pouring spouts are unusual.

The "H" is a moulder's mark. Employees were sometimes paid by the number of pieces per shift and management used it as a quality control indicator. (As in, "Hey, H, your skillets have quality issues, you're fired." lol)

Interesting, for the age of it, that it doesn't have the usual sulfur damage to the bottom of the pan. Coal, and, later, early natural gas did cast iron no favors. Maybe it was a truly campfire/wood stove piece. Which is pretty cool. Finding older pans without sulfur damage is difficult.

Good luck on a manufacturer search, not that it really matters. It's a VERY VERY VERY nice piece given it's age. I have an early ERIE 8 and an early Orr and Painter 9 from the mid, and early, 1880s that I love.

Your's has a lot of character and almost 140 years later....will still work perfectly. (What else can you cook with, from that era, that can do that?)

Clean it, season it and you have a skillet you can use for your lifetime.

Last edited:
Thanks [MENTION=27468]simon1[/MENTION]. Yes, B&B is a great place, I've been over at the DE forum for about a year and a half now.

Good luck with the ID. Very cool details on that one.

Thanks BSAGuy. I think my RAD is slowing down, but I think I may be catching PAD. If I bring over 100 pans in the house like I have razors, I don't think my wife will be happy. lol

Awesome score on the pan!

I have no idea on the maker. That line across the bottom is called a gate mark. That is a sign the cast iron from mid the late 1800's.

This alone is great info to know when out at the flea markets and antique shops.

Forgot to add that gate marks were a thing of the past by 1890+/-. Further proof that your's is older.

Again, really impressed at the lack of pitting and sulfur damage. Not common by any means.

Clean it up and post pics. This is a really nice find.

Last edited:
Thanks [MENTION=73661]timwcic[/MENTION] and [MENTION=109015]Jack19[/MENTION], I was hoping someone would say that. Today I stopped at an antique shop and saw a griddle with the same handle but they wanted $28.00 for it. I think I will have to go back and get it.

Forgot to add that gate marks were a thing of the past by 1890+/-. Further proof that your's is older.

Again, really impressed at the lack of pitting and sulfur damage. Not common by any means.

Clean it up and post pics. This is a really nice find.

Thanks again. I will, but it might be a couple of weeks before I get to it. I'm going to Tulsa this weekend for my dads 83rd and my moms 80th birthdays, also to see my new grandson.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks for putting this post up, [MENTION=105913]Mlee[/MENTION]. I had no idea what a gate mark was, or sulfur damage, before now. This is great to know if/when I run across another unmarked one. The only thing I have besides newer Lodge ones are a Griswald from the '40s and a Birmingham Stove and Range one from the '50s.

What part of Tulsa are you going to? I grew up in Sand Springs and have lived all over Tulsa.

Great information, Jack. I learned a lot from reading your post.

Pre-1900, likely pre-1890. I'm guessing early-mid 1880s. It's original.

If you do a Google image search on this you'll get a lot of similar results but not a lot of additional info re the maker.

The top of the handle is ornate for the time. The handle connection to the skillet is plain for the time. The pouring spouts are unusual.

The "H" is a moulder's mark. Employees were sometimes paid by the number of pieces per shift and management used it as a quality control indicator. (As in, "Hey, H, your skillets have quality issues, you're fired." lol)

Interesting, for the age of it, that it doesn't have the usual sulfur damage to the bottom of the pan. Coal, and, later, early natural gas did cast iron no favors. Maybe it was a truly campfire/wood stove piece. Which is pretty cool. Finding older pans without sulfur damage is difficult.

Good luck on a manufacturer search, not that it really matters. It's a VERY VERY VERY nice piece given it's age. I have an early ERIE 8 and an early Orr and Painter 9 from the mid, and early, 1880s that I love.

Your's has a lot of character and almost 140 years later....will still work perfectly. (What else can you cook with, from that era, that can do that?)

Clean it, season it and you have a skillet you can use for your lifetime.

Thanks for putting this post up, @Mlee. I had no idea what a gate mark was, or sulfur damage, before now. This is great to know if/when I run across another unmarked one. The only thing I have besides newer Lodge ones are a Griswald from the '40s and a Birmingham Stove and Range one from the '50s.

What part of Tulsa are you going to? I grew up in Sand Springs and have lived all over Tulsa.

Actually, Sand Springs is where I'm going. I also grew up in there, graduated from Charles Page, then moved to Sapulpa.

There having a big antique sale at the fair grounds this Saturday.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I went to Charles Page also! College was A&M though.

Grew up in Prattville before it was in the city limits, but it was always called Sand Springs on the address. Spent a lot of time on the sandbars of the river. Lived in Sap-a-loopa for a bit also after I left home.

I hope you get some more info. on that skillet...that thing looks great.

Can I have it?

Mlee, did you ever get this pan cleaned up? Would love to see more pics.

Jack, I just got my lye tank set up and I have it in. Hopefully I'll have it out and start the seasoning in a a few days. It's hard to believe it's been 2 months already.

Mlee, did you ever get this pan cleaned up? Would love to see more pics.

Here's after pics as promised, sorry I took so long. It seems that I've picked up a cast iron bug, now I have a lot of cleaning to do.

It really cleaned up well, no pits, cracks, or warping, and the cooking surface is very smooth. These pics are with just a coat of oil. I haven't started seasoning it yet.

2017-03-15 20.20.00.jpg

2017-03-15 20.20.31.jpg

Top Bottom