What's new

I need an easy upto 3 hour smoker recipe

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Really, unless I need to cook more than two chickens at a time, I cook them on my Weber Kettle. Light a chimney full, pile it up on one side, toss a chunk or two of wood on top, place the chicken as indirectly as you can (drumsticks toward the fire; breasts further away), cover, and let it go until the largest breast hits 163F. Check the thighs, but they've always been done (170+F) when the breasts are.

Again, I quarter the chickens, removing the backbone. Brining does wonders, and I often pull off the skin when I brine. I usually just put the chicken quarters and brine in a gallon ziploc bag and let them hang out in the fridge overnight.

If I need to cook more than two chickens, they go on the pit with a hot, wood fire. To be totally honest, I don't pick up a difference between cooking then on the Kettle or the pit. That's probably because they're on the fire for so little time.

Some long sprigs of rosemary work well on top of that fire, too, the fresher the better.

Last edited:
If you have an upper and lower rack, try a small (3-4 lb) pork rib roast on the upper rack with a bone-in turkey breast on the lower. The pork fat bastes the turkey..

Top Bottom