What's new

I need a vacuum that really sucks! .... in a good way, of course.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I want to get SWMBO a vacuum cleaner. Now, the ladies on the fourm don't need to lecture me about "that's not a real Christmas present" because, the time of year notwithstanding, this is a "replacing the broken one" purchase rather than "put a bow on it" purchase.

Honest.

:001_rolle

Anyhow, ... I want to get her something that really sucks ... you know, in a good way. Durable, lightweight, and upright.

Any thoughts on the best brand & model? I know my B&B bretheren know the answer. :thumbup1:

I have a Dyson and it is expensive but well worth it. I'm a guy and I'm very happy with the power it delivers and the five year bumper to bumper factory warranty is a pretty good also.

SEBO makes the best uprights. Ugly but awesome. The Automatic X4 is the only upright that tempted us.

Miele makes the best canisters. I bought one for my family this year and, even though it cost a fortune, it is worth every nickel. The S5 Callisto is what we have, IIRC.

The Dysons aren't even in a class with those two but seemed like the best of the >$600 class.

Of course, YMMV and you didn't specify a price range so accurate advice will be more difficult to come by.

We looked at the Dyson, ended up buying a Riccar instead. The wife loves the way it performs. It's not light, however...

first of all, just think of the hours she will spend bent over double thinking of you trying to get to those hard to reach places. A perfect choice of gift for the festive occasion, dont let anyone esle tell you otherwise. I would recommend either a Dyson for it's state of the art suction power or a Nilfisk, which can hoover up a lot of junk and is generally speaking, very quiet.

The best vacuum I ever owned was a Kirby ... the kind that are sold door-to-door. In fact, I used to sell them (or at least tried to) for close to a year.

They are solid as a tank, have plenty of suction, are heavy but well-balanced and easy to maneuver. They are still made out of metal, instead of plastic. They are still made in America. They have lots of accessories that extend its use to do things other than just vacuuming, like a carpet-shampooer, leaf-blower, inflate the kid's swimming pool, etc.

Even though they went for close to $1000 when I was (trying to) selling them, you can pick up a used one for under $50, get a few replacement parts (brush, bags, belt, cord) from a vacuum repair place, and they work as good as new. The design has changed little down through the years, and Parts are pretty inter-changeable, so pieces from a 2000 model will fit a machine made in the 1960s.

I have always found that the best vacuum cleaner is a canister. You get the best suction from that. I have always bought Kenmores, and have been satisfied. The canisters can be a PITA to drag around though. My mother and sister have been very happy with their Oreck models. I've used them and they have good suction, and are REALLY light. Give them a look.

Do you want a cannister or an upright? We have one of each. After 10 years with the upright, SWMBO, who is also she who does most of the vacuuming (SWDMOTV?), decided she wanted a cannister. We have a Riccar upright and a Miele cannister. Neither one was cheap, but they are great.

The best vacuum I ever owned was a Kirby ... the kind that are sold door-to-door. In fact, I used to sell them (or at least tried to) for close to a year.

They are solid as a tank, have plenty of suction, are heavy but well-balanced and easy to maneuver. They are still made out of metal, instead of plastic. They are still made in America. They have lots of accessories that extend its use to do things other than just vacuuming, like a carpet-shampooer, leaf-blower, inflate the kid's swimming pool, etc.

Even though they went for close to $1000 when I was (trying to) selling them, you can pick up a used one for under $50, get a few replacement parts (brush, bags, belt, cord) from a vacuum repair place, and they work as good as new. The design has changed little down through the years, and Parts are pretty inter-changeable, so pieces from a 2000 model will fit a machine made in the 1960s.

my parents have had the same kirby since before i was born... i think they got it in '82 or '83. it has never stopped chugging, and it's probably the best vacuum i've used to date.

Miele canisters do have great suction - I would not buy another canister brand. However, their attachments and bags are expensive. You can get off-brand bags for a lot less - same with the attachments (except for the powered carpet head, but I would stick with an upright if you have a substantial amount of carpeting in any event.).

In terms of uprights, price for performance goes to Panasonic vacuums IMO. Bags are cheap and available at most Wal Marts. Smart motor-behind-the-bag design with no frilly extras plus the attachments and hose are made of much tougher plastic than most other brands.

Also, a basic Eureka commercial upright is available at Sam's Club for about $100. Tough and easy to maintain but it's floor only (no attachments) and noisy as jet taking off .

If you really want to spend the money for better durability, I would recommend Simplicity over most other high end brands (Kirby, Dyson, Sebo, etc). Same basic design as the Panasonic, but with metal rollers, bottom plates, motor fans, etc., plus much more substantial case construction. These vacuums don't break period - you'll pass it on to your grand kids.

I repaired vacuums as a teenager, FWIW.

Last edited:
I do 99% of the vacuuming in our house so I'm the one that usually buys it. I first check CR, pick a couple that get decent ratings, then check reviews on amazon, especially the negative ones. Currently have a Dyson I think I got at Costco about 5-6 years ago. My only complaint is the chore of getting my wife's long hair out of the roller. The belt is really tight which makes the roller hard to maneuver.

I've had a Dyson for 5 years or so, and I really am happy with it. It picks up everything including Jack Russell hair. I feel like it was a good buy.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Kirby, Kirby, Kirby...

Ive had one for over 5 years and picked it up used on Amazon. It still came with a warranty, and was refurbished so to speak. I took it over to a friends house that had a Dyson, and well they ended up getting a Kirby after.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A perfect choice of gift for the festive occasion, dont let anyone esle tell you otherwise.
Spoken like a man ... and a true gentleman. :thumbup1:
I have always found that the best vacuum cleaner is a canister. The canisters can be a PITA to drag around though.

SWMBO has nixed the cannister idea. We had one, and she hated it. She has been very specific about "upright".

If Momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy, so ... :surrender:

My only complaint is the chore of getting my wife's long hair out of the roller. The belt is really tight which makes the roller hard to maneuver.

A stitch remover (aka seam puller) from the sewing department of a store can make quick work of that by cutting the hair and threads wrapped around the roller.

Top Bottom