What's new

I need a small lathe...Help?

will serve you well,if the one you get has a 1-8 spindle and you want a 4 jaw chuck,let me know,have a new jet chuck I never use for cheap.

Well, I concluded that lathe turning is not for me.

Instead I am going to try my hand at carving. I think that a carving skill along with an inexpensive drill press will suite me for some time.

Thank y'all very much for the suggestions and offers.

Funny that you mentioned that shaving got you into turning cause turning got me into shaving.

From your work, it is clear that you are mechanically inclined, so your best bang-for-the-buck would be to go for used American made lathes.

Lathes are just about the easiest machines to restore... often just a quick change of belts and bearings is all that is needed.

To get a good idea of what is out there, visit the Old Wood Working Machinery site at www.vintagemachinery.com (for pictures, historical data, wikis and how-to's) and their sister forum site at www.owwm.org.

BTW, the lathe will be the cheapest part of your equipment...which is why it is common to say to new turners "welcome to the vortex":laugh:

So true about the tooling,my old american made rockwell 45-450 cost me 200 bux at auction,new bearings (3) belt and paint ran maybe 75 bucks.
My oneway chuck,extra set of jaws,centers,spurs,bowl plates,steady rest,set of carbide lathe tools about a grand more.
Now my metal lathe is another story,Rivett 918 1st op lathe,I have no less than 4K tied up in tooling,the lathe built in 1953 cost me 600 at auction,NOS in the orig crate.

I'm not a wood turner but have a number of friends that are pretty well top shelf. Their advice was to buy the Jet 1220 variable speed, not the pulley version. See page 16 of this http://content.jettools.com/promotions/1t11/jet-2011-1t-wood-promo-web.pdf. They claim this is the best bang for the buck and they are also on sale. As far as they were concerned this is all you would ever need. It also uses some standard configurations, so you can buy other makers quality components that will fit.

The top of the line lathe would be the Oneway lathe www.oneway.ca

You have me now interested in buying one

Top Bottom