What's new

I need a small lathe...Help?

Guys and gal (I've only noticed one woman on this site so far),
I need your help. I'm hooked on making brush handles. I made one a few weeks ago and it's incredibly good looking, feels great, and was a blast to make. The problem is, I had to drive an hour into the Santa Cruz mountains to work at a "friends" house (he answered my plea for help on Craigslist), and although he turned out to be a really great guy, I need my own lathe so I can work at night after my two little babes are asleep. I've been looking around for a lathe, I think I need a midi or mini, I couldn't tell the difference, but I can't find a decent looking tool for what I can afford to pay.
Does anyone have a lathe and some tools they want to sell for cheap (like 50 bucks). I'll pay shipping. Or If you want to trade me the lathe I'll make you two bitchin brush handles. I have access to some koa wood that I used to make mine.

Here's the handle I made next to my practice run on walnut. The ring is made of brass shavings.

P.S. My wife just saw that I was posting this and rolled her eyes and growled. Classic! Now she's going to sit down and watch the bachelor. Poor gal, she's already stuck with me. :biggrin1:

I need help so I can continue with my new addiction.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My brother, you do realize that AD's exist in all things that holds the male human's interest? As a carpenter who has purchased examples of every known hand and power tool known to man I had to warn you. Home depot, Woodcraft, Lee Valley tools and their ilk will deprive you of every other dollar not already spent on shaving stuff.

That being said, I have not yet delved into the woodcrafting world, but a lathe does seems nice. From what I have heard from other pen turners, get the largest, most powerful one you can afford.

I use a woodfast midi lathe (M305 i think) for pens and peppermills etc. It would be a good choice for what you are after. There are smaller and cheaper lathes out there, however the advice I received when looking for mine was to buy the biggest you can afford. I didnt do that, and now want to make bigger stuff and will have to upgrade at some later point. Just something to bear in mind I guess.

Also, if you are getting a midi lathe, spend at least as much on your chisels as you do on your lathe - there is nothing worse than having a nice new lathe but crap tools that dont let you create things as easily/nicely as you could otherwise do.

Be careful, this is a real AD trap. I think I have spent about $5000 in tools and stuff since I got into this!! ;)

Legion

Staff member
Acquisition Disorder.

It's when you can't help hoarding a bunch of stuff that you only need one of. This place is a hotbed for it.

(Kind of on-topic because you mentioned it, but there's more than one woman on the forum--we have a whole group.:001_cool:)

My dad's lathe was expensive, and given all the mishaps he's told me about from cabinetry school and such, cheap equipment just makes me nervous.

Thanks to all who answered. I've decided to make another trip to the mountains and use my friend's lathe a few more times. Maybe I'll run across a good deal on a used lathe in the future, but it sounds like I won't find a good one cheap on this website. I'll try estate sales. I'll leave the thread up until the end of the day, just in case some kind soul wants to pay forward some equipment. Thanks again guys. Good advice from all.
Moai

My brother, you do realize that AD's exist in all things that holds the male human's interest? As a carpenter who has purchased examples of every known hand and power tool known to man I had to warn you. Home depot, Woodcraft, Lee Valley tools and their ilk will deprive you of every other dollar not already spent on shaving stuff.

That being said, I have not yet delved into the woodcrafting world, but a lathe does seems nice. From what I have heard from other pen turners, get the largest, most powerful one you can afford.

Hah try teaching at Lee Valley and see who owes who money at the end of a 6 week seminar.... :tongue_sm

Well, I just got back from Woodwork where I enrolled in a 1-hour class for beginning bowl turning.

I wandered around the store and it looks like a minimum of $500.00 to get started. I'm gonna let the class tell me if I should proceed.
Looking at the Jet JML-1014I but could be persuaded by other recommendations.

This might be a little tough to hide from SWMBO. :001_smile

Take the class then decide. I think you will want a variable speed lathe.

I bought a Jet 1228VS and it is very good. It is not cheap to get started but don't buy a cheap lathe to start only to have to replace it soon.

The class will definately help you sort out your basic needs.

What? No spring pole lathe? :001_rolle
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8wKZ2WyQmQ[/youtube]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN82EEvkaFg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Buy american,buy older iron,you can get a rockwell 45-650 for 400 bux,rebuild the headstock for 50 bux,buy 3 carbide lathe tools for about a hun,you will be set for life.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Buy american,buy older iron,you can get a rockwell 45-650 for 400 bux,rebuild the headstock for 50 bux,buy 3 carbide lathe tools for about a hun,you will be set for life.

Yeah right: "get a SS on eBay for 5 bux, VDH soap for 2 bux, 100 Derbies for 10 bux, 10 dollar tweezerman and soup mug and you're set for under 30 bucks!!" Heard that, done that, never happens.:lol: I think I'm down about 500 clams already.

Yeah right: "get a SS on eBay for 5 bux, VDH soap for 2 bux, 100 Derbies for 10 bux, 10 dollar tweezerman and soup mug and you're set for under 30 bucks!!" Heard that, done that, never happens.:lol: I think I'm down about 500 clams already.

I think I am a ways from 500 clams, but getting there.

There are some decent import wood lathes for about $200. I don't have personal experience with them. They are short bed, 8 inch swing, so they are capable of quite a bit, maybe not pool cues or baseball bats, or giant salad/mixing bowels though.

Phil

Dont forget to budget a couple hundred $ for sharpening stones.:001_rolle

Have a good time, keep your eye on Craigslist.

Top Bottom