What's new

I need a new toothpaste. Something unique.

pay attention if you care :001_rolle

View attachment 463410

Myth.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpastemarkings.asp
[The squares are] an artifact of the manufacturing process known as "eye marks" or "color marks," printed marks that can be read by light beam sensors and typically identify where product packaging is to be cut or folded as connected units stream through machinery at high speed: Eye mark: A printed rectangular mark most often found along the edge of webstock that can be identified by an electric eye. The mark identifies a point on the web where an individual package is to be cut.
The colors of eye mark registers are not limited to the ones mentioned above (and may not necessarily be visible on the finished product), and the different colors simply signify different types of packaging or different types of sensors.

The best way to ascertain the composition of a given brand of toothpaste is by reading the ingredients information printed on the toothpaste box and/or tube.

Anyway, I promise you that everything everywhere is made entirely of chemicals, even the most natural things you can think of.

If you believe Pharma industry :laugh:
I am sure that 99% of all stuff is chemistry. The point is that the entry of toxins reduced to a minimum.
Let's help a man to choose a new toothpaste :001_smile

If you want to avoid certain ingredients, the squares will not help you at all. If you want to end up with the unwanted ingredients in your mouth, the best way to do that is to depend on the squares that are put there to tell the machine where to cut the tube. The ingredients list is where you'll find the ingredients listed.

I took the leap and tried Marvis. Very unique and it seems to get hooked into you where you need to have that unique refreshing taste. Well worth trying IMO. Thanks to all posters on recommending it. And thanks to you Jason for starting this thread. Now back to our regular programming.

Been wanting to try this. Would love to wake up with a licorice taste in the morning. Might give it a go!
I actually saw it in Melbourne a few weeks back, but didn't think to pick it up. It was a place in the CBD, but couldn't tell you the name of the place.

Is it more abrasive than regular toothpaste? Regular toothpaste is quite abrasive, and is recommended for polishing scratches out of CDs and removing clouding from plastic headlights.

Any other suggestions for something with mild/no flavor, especially no minty flavor?

Yes it is definitely more abrasive. As for flavours I've never really looked into it but I will when I have some time.

Myth.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpastemarkings.asp
[The squares are] an artifact of the manufacturing process known as "eye marks" or "color marks," printed marks that can be read by light beam sensors and typically identify where product packaging is to be cut or folded as connected units stream through machinery at high speed: Eye mark: A printed rectangular mark most often found along the edge of webstock that can be identified by an electric eye. The mark identifies a point on the web where an individual package is to be cut.
The colors of eye mark registers are not limited to the ones mentioned above (and may not necessarily be visible on the finished product), and the different colors simply signify different types of packaging or different types of sensors.

The best way to ascertain the composition of a given brand of toothpaste is by reading the ingredients information printed on the toothpaste box and/or tube.

Anyway, I promise you that everything everywhere is made entirely of chemicals, even the most natural things you can think of.

Thank-you for the facts.....there are way too many myths taken as truth these days and rapidly spread across social media. I also find "natural" ingredient arguments funny. Last time I checked snake venom, poison ivy, hepatitis C etc were all natural and I don't think they are very good for us either. There are harmful and beneficial chemicals of both the natural and synthetic variety.

Also an option.
Colgate tooth powder is available in metal packing where I live, but the unusual one is the Dabur tooth powder.
It is red in colour, quite astringent, and supposedly herbal. The last is probably true as Dabur is a well known herbal brand.
There is a black tooth powder one as well, by another brand.

If you want something different, try a tooth powder. I grew up with them and still remember dipping my toothbrush into a tin can.
Swing by your local health food store. They probably carry the Eco-Dent brand.

View attachment 462656

Last edited:
Many decades ago I bought a small bottle of a LIQUID herbal tooth-cleaner at Crabtree&Evelyn. It think it came from Switzerland. You put a few drops on your toothbrush and proceeded to brush your teeth as normal. It had a sharp, minty taste, and made my teeth feel squeaky clean just like I had just come from the dentist. It cleaned my teeth much better than any paste has done either before or after.

I've been looking for this product for about 35 years now so I can use it again, but I can't find it anywhere. And I can't remember the name, so its hard to research online.

Another thing you might try is an old folk remedy. Baking soda and a pinch of salt. Mix them up together in a small container, and sprinkle a little in your hand and then dip your wet toothbrush in it. You can try adding essential oils or other flavorings, but I always used it plain. The raw taste is not unpleasant. It does a very good job of cleaning.

Could it be Pearl Drops Tooth Polish?

Could it be Pearl Drops Tooth Polish?
No, this came in a small brown bottle. I'm pretty sure the country of origin was Switzerland, and I'm pretty sure I got it at C&E.

I've asked for it in C&E stores ever since, but they have no idea what I'm talking about. Then again, whenever I ask them if their Sweet Almond Oil Shaving Cream is going to make a come-back, they go "Huh? Never heard of it."

I am currently working on a tube of Pasta del Capitano from Italy. Before that, I used Tom's of Maine Peppermint toothpaste. The ToM doesn't contain fluoride. It just doesn't really have a taste. Pasta del Capitano has a strong mint taste and maybe a licorice note? I bought it at Bull goose.

Euthymol: all natural essential oils, century old formula. Fantastic performance and flavor; tastes like super intense Pepsodent.
proxy.php

Vicco Vajradanti Toothpaste
: Ayurvedic toothpaste. great stuff from India.
Comes in paste and powder, too
http://www.apollopharmacy.in/person...d-toothpaste/vicco-vajradanti-100gms-pow.html
proxy.php

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
OK gents! Thank you all for the replies.

I went with

$Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 11.31.40 AM.png

Ordered today. It was between this or Colgate tooth powder. I went with this because the tooth powder was coming from India and I need it ASAP.
Never seen this in any stores where I live either. I'll probably order the powder eventually.

Thanks!

Top Bottom