What's new

I need a new Smoker

My old cheapo smoker finally died on me. I'd like to get a better one. I really don't know anything about them, but I'd like to get a decent one. Though not top of the line. Can't afford one of those.

Any recommendations? Should I go with charcoal or gas? And why?

Thanks all!

Edit: This is probably a stupid question, but I figure I'll ask it anyway. Is a Big Green Egg also a smoker? If so, is it a good one? I've heard such good things about them, I was considering getting of those.

Last edited:
The BGE is a kamado style cooker and kamados are excellent smokers. As they are miserly in their lump consumption, they excel at long cooks. 12-18 hours cooks are not a problem. I have a Kamado Joe and an Akorn....love them both.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's one that is on my list to purchase. It's a Old Country Pecos smoker. You get buy these from Academy. It's going to be mainly used with wood, not lump charcoal or briquettes. Deciding on what type of fuel you want to use may influence your pick.

$10156473.jpg

BFE's are the easiest smoker on the planet to learn and use!
stuff just comes out perfect every time!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 155
The BGE is a kamado style cooker and kamados are excellent smokers. As they are miserly in their lump consumption, they excel at long cooks. 12-18 hours cooks are not a problem. I have a Kamado Joe and an Akorn....love them both.

Thank you for that information on the AKorn and the Kamado Joe, I'm so new to this I thought those were junk knockoffs. I have a LOT to learn! Thank you very much for the message and response, I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the info on that smoker, Doc, looks sick!

Thanks mischief for the BGE info!

From what I've seen the ceramic kamado cookers are the way to go. I have a BGE and would not trade it for anything. The non-ceramic kamado I would avoid. For heavy smoke, big meats, the log smokers, like the Acadamy listed a few posts back are great, just require more tending.

Thank you for that information on the AKorn and the Kamado Joe, I'm so new to this I thought those were junk knockoffs. I have a LOT to learn! Thank you very much for the message and response, I really appreciate it.

I have a so called "knock off" in a Vision Grill Classic and love it. It's worked flawlessly for a few years now and can be used for quick grilling, 14 hour smokes or a pizza oven. Even on the long smokes, I don't have to add any lump. Ours is mainly used as a smoker but I still fire it up when I want a good steak.

BGE is the standard, but it was out of my price range. After investigating and researching, it turns out the Ceramic on the Vision was reportedly thicker then BGE (not sure if that means anything or not, but remember reading it). You can add accessories or use as is. Kamado style cookers are quite versatile and as others have stated, easy learning curve. If I can learn to use one, anyone can. :blush:

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I personally prefer an offset, but I've heard nothing but great things about the BGE type smoker/grills. I'd get one to go with my other (Cough) couple of smokers...well, I think I have two vertical smokers and two horizontal...if I could afford one and had the room for another smoker.

Aaron, you're probably not going to get a much better stick burner than that unless you bump your budget up to about $800-$1,000. Last summer we were at my son-in-laws and he had a brisket flat, ribs, and some sausage going on his Old Country. The temp. dropped a bit and he opened the intake vent up all the way, then went inside for a bit. He wasn't inside for 5 minutes but I noticed the temp. gauge start rising. I went over to look and it had went from under 200 to over 375 in just a couple of minutes. I had to shut the vent down. It went up quick, but it's his first smoker so he'll learn. He was using some split hickory for fuel.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I personally prefer an offset, but I've heard nothing but great things about the BGE type smoker/grills. I'd get one to go with my other (Cough) couple of smokers...well, I think I have two vertical smokers and two horizontal...if I could afford one and had the room for another smoker.

Aaron, you're probably not going to get a much better stick burner than that unless you bump your budget up to about $800-$1,000. Last summer we were at my son-in-laws and he had a brisket flat, ribs, and some sausage going on his Old Country. The temp. dropped a bit and he opened the intake vent up all the way, then went inside for a bit. He wasn't inside for 5 minutes but I noticed the temp. gauge start rising. I went over to look and it had went from under 200 to over 375 in just a couple of minutes. I had to shut the vent down. It went up quick, but it's his first smoker so he'll learn. He was using some split hickory for fuel.

I want that dude so much I can't see straight. It's only $399. Getting it home is going to be tricky. I don't think it will fit in my Ford Explorer. The neighbor and his big truck will have to do it.:laugh:

Tim,

Check out the grate configurations that come standard with the Joe. The "Divide and Conquer" system is pretty dang useful.

Nothing against the BGE but the Joe has been a great addition to the patio. That said, after I win the lottery I am scoring a 32" Komodo Kamado. That thing is a big, bad mother.

Last edited:
BGE's don't require all the fussing with the fire, no reloading and poking the wood.
I have ran an Egg for 20 hours at 195* smoking a pork butt that just fell apart and melted in your mouth.
I smoke briskets over nightstand 225. I use a BBQ Guru to manage the temp.

From this discussion and additional research this afternoon. I'm going to get a Joe or BGE, just not sure which.

I'm in the market. A BBQ place here in town had a welder friend of mine build one for them. I was around for the design discussion just because I was there at the time. They wanted a copy of the one they already had. The fire box is in a weird place but it produces a really good product. The welder built a smaller one for a friend and the guy LOVES it. I'll take a pic of the one he built and post it later. It is on my list of projects to do for myself. I have never seen anything like this for sale.

Another egg type, which I have, is a Grill Dome. It works the same as a BGE and I have smoked a large Pork Butt for 15+ hrs with great results. I'm sad though as I am now in Texas and my Grill Dome is in California. Oh well, punt and re-group is in order. I also have a New Braunfels there and it works great too. All you have to do with those to maintain temp is to open up the firebox and add 10-15 briquets every hour or so. It does make it hard for long smoking though as some one has to stay up to tend the fire.

Mike

Don't discount how well a Weber smokey Mountain runs. Can easy do a 12 to 15 hour smoke using just one load of coals. Makes great Q time and time again. I live in the Chicagoland area and it gets COLD here and I smoke all year round with mine.

Don't discount how well a Weber smokey Mountain runs. Can easy do a 12 to 15 hour smoke using just one load of coals. Makes great Q time and time again. I live in the Chicagoland area and it gets COLD here and I smoke all year round with mine.
I wanted a WSM for years, got a Ceramic and still have my eye on them.

Top Bottom