What's new

I need a new mug/bowl/scuttle(?)Tha

After my morning shave I was putting everything away, and my antique ceramic shave bowl slipped out of my and fell in the sink. It happened in the blink of an eye, and immediately cracked completely in half. I don't really feel like trying to glue it back together and worrying about leakage or depressing aesthetics, so I think it might be time for a new situation.

I haven't really been perusing the shaving wares much lately, so I'm hoping some of you guys can point me in the right direction for a nice bowl or scuttle. I've seen a few of the artisanal shave mugs, and I'm not really into them. I'm a face lather guy mostly. The bowl would mostly be for soaking my brush and rinsing my razor throughout the shave, however I used to bowl lather and would still be open to it.

I had been interested in scuttles for a while, but was gifted that nice bowl so I stopped looking. A bowl would still be nice if I found a good one.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

After my morning shave I was putting everything away, and my antique ceramic shave bowl slipped out of my and fell in the sink. It happened in the blink of an eye, and immediately cracked completely in half. I don't really feel like trying to glue it back together and worrying about leakage or depressing aesthetics, so I think it might be time for a new situation.

I haven't really been perusing the shaving wares much lately, so I'm hoping some of you guys can point me in the right direction for a nice bowl or scuttle. I've seen a few of the artisanal shave mugs, and I'm not really into them. I'm a face lather guy mostly. The bowl would mostly be for soaking my brush and rinsing my razor throughout the shave, however I used to bowl lather and would still be open to it.

I had been interested in scuttles for a while, but was gifted that nice bowl so I stopped looking. A bowl would still be nice if I found a good one.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
I'm looking at getting me a copper turkish shave bowl from flea bay. They're about 10 bucks. Hand hammered. Nice. Classic. Just thought I'd toss that idea out.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

I'm looking at getting me a copper turkish shave bowl from flea bay. They're about 10 bucks. Hand hammered. Nice. Classic. Just thought I'd toss that idea out.

Thanks a million, impulse buy now lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My favorite bowl is from Captain's Choice. The raised logo on the side makes a nice spot to put your thumb and hold the bowl in one place (cupped in your hand). I also really love my scuttle from Dirty Bird Pottery. Col. Conk has an inexpensive and serviceable ceramic bowl that I use too.

I'm not as into mugs, although I have a vintage aluminum Bicentennial mug that I won on the Sue Moore auction. I think it just looks cool. I keep a puck of Williams in it and use it from time to time.

df73c0464132053ec38ff12f2df67b08.jpg

Mohawk mug looks like something from Old Spice. Found on ebay and etsy.

+2 on the hammered copper bowl from Turkey

proxy.php

+3? I also have one, and love the way it lathers. And time I use a cream it makes a grand appearance, and now is my dedicated cream/sample bowl.

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

Try your local Goodwill/SA/Flea market. Sometimes, you can score a really cool piece of pottery/cookware/mug that can be used.

Also, as noted above, the Captains Choice shave bowl gets a lot of love.

Crown King scuttle has worked well for me. Keeps lather warn for all passes, ridged bowl seems to help with lather. I rotate a small Paul Revere bowl that was my mother's bowling trophy in 1963. Fits my hand well, won't break, but lather gets cool.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really like the ceramic stuff because I think it retains the heat nicely.
The Dirty Bird scuttles are real nice.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really like the ceramic stuff because I think it retains the heat nicely.
The Dirty Bird scuttles are real nice.
Well blitzkrieg, if you like ceramic, then a ceramic soup mug would be perfect for you. I got mine from the dollar tree. They have em in a variety of colors. I got fire truck red, black, and royal blue. The extra wide mouth gives you plenty of room to move around, the high walls keeps your lather contained to the mug, and the finger ring gives you a sure grip. For a buck you can't beat the price or value. You can pick em up at your local dollar tree, or order them online at the dollar tree website. I think you'd have to order a case of twelve. I use em as coffee mugs, soup mugs, chilli mugs, ice cream bowls. Plus they're great pif items for newbies.
proxy.php

@sky pilot 83
Those mugs look almost identical to my broken shave bowl, except for the little handle. My bowl did not have a handle. Also, I suspect the walls of my bowl may have been slightly thicker than those bowls. It was pretty solid. I really liked it, and I'm afraid I won't be able to find a suitable replacement.

@sky pilot 83
Those mugs look almost identical to my broken shave bowl, except for the little handle. My bowl did not have a handle. Also, I suspect the walls of my bowl may have been slightly thicker than those bowls. It was pretty solid. I really liked it, and I'm afraid I won't be able to find a suitable replacement.

Well these are super heavy and very thick. Thicker than a coffee mug or my regular soup mug. That's why i like em.

+4....got one of these not too long ago...great inexpensive bowl.

+5 on this. I have one as well. It's light, won't break if you drop it and whips up lather in no time. And it looks cool. I also have ceramic bowls and I rotate based upon my mood of the day. The turkish bowl is nice and cheap to boot.

I use a small metal cat food bowl, $.97 from Walmart. I have small hands, and it's the perfect size. I poor man scuttle by filling the bowl that comes with the $10 Van Der Hagen kit with really hot water nearly to the brim and setting the cat food bowl on top. Works well enough for a quick shave. I really want one of those Turkish copper jobs, though. They look really cool, and have a handle.

I shave with a 7$ wooden bowl. It won't break and it lathers well from the texture. You could probably just go to a local goodwill and get any number of them there for less.

Top Bottom