What's new

I need a new grinder

My inexpensive Melitta Burr is burning out. I'd like to get a better grinder this time around.

My brew method is a Technivorm Moccamaster

Thanks all for any help, suggestions!

Tim

Probably the baratza encore would fit your needs, for $139 on amazon, baratza refurb didnt have any listed.
If you dont have a need for espresso, then it should last you many years with great support from them.

For auto drip, any burr should do.

I've been a Baratza "fan boy" for decades and have owned every one they have made except for their newer Sette model.

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My inexpensive Melitta Burr is burning out. I'd like to get a better grinder this time around.

My brew method is a Technivorm Moccamaster

Thanks all for any help, suggestions!

Tim

Tim, consider the Hario.

It's a hand-grinder from Japan. I have one and really enjoy it. Of course, it takes a bit longer than the electric push-button-BZZZZT-done but still good unless you need a lot at once. You can adjust the grind fine-ness.

Tim, consider the Hario.

It's a hand-grinder from Japan. I have one and really enjoy it. Of course, it takes a bit longer than the electric push-button-BZZZZT-done but still good unless you need a lot at once. You can adjust the grind fine-ness.

That is my travel (pour over) grinder. I did the OE bottom bearing mod on it. Vast improvement in grind consistency.

my DiLonghi burr grinder has died.
Totally unresponsive.
Guess the motor is toast.

looking at the Baratza.

Any others?? Space and height is an issue.

One of the nicer points of Baratza is their ease of user repair. I have rebuilt several. Parts are VERY reasonable.

What kind of grind do you use?
Baratza low end grinders will do it except espresso,
Check their site for refurbs, they do a great job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Baratza Vario (For Home Use) and a Hario Skerton (Travel). IMHO both are excellent for their intended purposes. Ra

Breville Smart Grinder Pro is the best sub $200 Grinder IMO. Grind into the container or directly into a filter basket.
It also comes with 2 sizes of portafilter holders should you get an espresso machine in the future.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Well, you could try something from these guys. I ordered Bodum Bistro personally, just liked the design, but all models look fine, as for me. I am not an expert

I just ordered the Bodum Bistro grinder (bodum.com/us/en/10903-294us-bistro), though I brew exclusively French Press at home, which it is supposed to be better at. Hopefully receiving on Monday.

Have been using an older Cuisinart DBM-8, but the plastic threads on the hopper / grind selector are worn out, so the hopper doesn't stay down at the coarser grinds unless I actively push it down while grinding.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I just went through the grinder search myself, and for your uses, a Baratza Encore gets lots of good feedback, especially for a drip.

if I had to do it again, id try the sette. I have a mazzer (I believe mini? which is quite big) that I got second hand that works like a champ though....

Top Bottom