What's new

I need a "manly" cologne, apparently....

Late 70s and 80s powerhouse frags should fit the bill

Azzaro Pour Homme
Polo Green
Aramis
Drakkar
VC&A Pour Homme
Caron Yatagan
Beene Grey Flannel
Georgio for Men
Creed Bois du Portugal
YSL Kouros
Halston Z-14

Just to name a few. Stay away from modern aquatic scents that can be construed as girly.

Nice list, Tim! I'm a fan of all of these that I have tried.

+1 on the Varvatos. He has a new one out I tried last night at Macy's. Its called USA. Pretty much anything by him is a winner. Also try Gaultier. You cant go wrong with that.

+2. I got my Varvatos from from Dave, so he knows his stuff:wink2:

My wife, who is quick to say I smell too feminine with a bunch of male frags I have worn - including JPG Le Male even - commented that the Varvatos smelled like a "real man" fragrance.

Howdy. My first entry into the forum has to be applause for The Nid Hog's comment. I am involved at The Art of Manliness community, and guys are asking, "Is this manly? Is that manly?" I've been trying to tell them that you make it manly if you choose to do so. Being tentative and fearful, and asking permission, is not manly. Thank you for adding fuel to my fire. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
(Extra bold emphasis added to the quote by DamnFineBob).

Darn right! I've worn lavender, rose water, and Lilac Vegetal without feeling girly in the least. However, I have a wife who likes those scents on me, and understands that I don't give a hoot what some insecure man may think if he were to smell me as I walk by. If I was trying to meet the expectations of a female who thought that men should smell a certain way, maybe I'd adjust my thinking... Then again, probably not.

Interestingly, I've met many a female who were hung up on the gender/scents issue while out shopping. I've had soap vendors just about refuse to let me smell their rose and patchouli offerings, directing me to the manly, unscented soaps, instead... as well as a Bath & Bodyworks manager who practically drug me away from their cherry blossom line by the arm and directed me to a handful of men's offerings with half naked metrosexual guys on the labels... as if THAT is going to appeal to a straight guy. (Incidentally, I got turned on to the Cherry Blossom stuff by a girl at work who gave me a bottle of the highly-scented hand sanitizer, after the girlfriends told her it smelled too manly :001_rolle).

Take her to the men's cologne counter at a good nearby department store and try out fragrances together until you both find something you like. Throw in lunch and make an afternoon out of it. I have done this with my wife and it was great fun, plus I got a new fragrance out of it.

If you like leather, you could try Vintage Tabarome by Creed, although it is very difficult to find; you might have to get a decant. It will probably be expensive, so if money is an issue, try Or Black by Pascal Moribito. To me this one is a spicy dry leather and tobacco scent. If she likes bay rum but thinks it is too sweet, try Vetiver and Rum by Helan (Italian), which has a pepperiness to it.

So, pretty much any cologne that I like, my wife disses are being too "girly."

This morning I put on Castile. She says "You smell like a girl."

I like 1805. Her comment: "It's girly."

So, guys, help me out. The only colognes we kind of agree on at this point are EndymioH Spanish Leather. Unfortunately, I think I'm allergic to something in Spanish Leather. Any ideas for a "manly" cologne for me?

Gasoline.

Barring that, Old Spice or Pinaud Special Reserve.

Lastly, (and I don'r recommend it), the smell of another woman...

Boy does this thread have some life to it!

My wife likes Jovan Musk for men

I'm not so sure about it... on me it has a half-life equating to carbon and I get tired of it, I still use it, when I want her.... Physical attention...

Old spice or Aqua Velva are always manly

After reading this thread (14pgs and 3yrs or so) I've come to the conclusion it's time to try some other aftershaves...

Both Castile and 1805 were both launched during the nineties. Look for some colognes launched much earlier, "when men were men" ;-)

As for manly basic cologne notes, as someone has pointed out already, sandalwood and vetyver come to mind.

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
proxy.php

:001_tt2:

Top Bottom