What's new

I need a good pad.something different

Believe it or not, I'm actually running out of paper (if only ink disappeared this fast :001_rolle). I'm looking for a good pad of paper to use. I've used the Levenger pads and like them, Rhodia and like them, Leuchtturm 1917 and like them, Clairefontaine not so much (stock is too heavy), Moleskine has too much bleed through, Mnemosyne is functional but unimpressive. I'd like to try something different in the A6 size.

Any suggestions?

You've hit most of the Big Names. Maybe Apica? Good Japanese paper; tried it a while back and liked it with my pens and inks (mainly iron galls) -- though I don't see any A6 size in the Premium line on Gouletpens.

Franklin-Christoph has both notepads and journals in A6 filled with their sugar cane paper. They offer a few different rulings depending on your needs.

Tomoe river is cool paper. Only 52 GSM but doesn't bleed or frather. Not sure about a6. Goulet only sells A4 sheets and that's where I got mine.

I don't really like Tomoe -- too much show-through (not bleed through). Makes it a one-side only paper. Nice feel under the nib though!

You could try Apica. I've got a Midori A5 stitched notebook that I haven't cracked open yet. I like the paper in my Traveler's Notebook a lot, so I got the A5 stitched one as well. I'm not sure if they make it in an A6 size but it's worth looking into. I think the Midori paper overall is excellent. If you want really good paper that's different than the usual European fair, then I think Midori is a great choice. Tomoe River paper is great, but it's not easy to find lined notebooks.

If you like laid paper (textured) G. Lalo is good. Matching envelopes too. It is a bit odd to write on, but it looks really cool.

I have recently been using Tomoe River paper, I have been very impressed. I purchased three pads from Paper for Fountain Pens.

Other choices that are also good are Life and Midori papers from Nanami.

I placed an order for the Franklin-Christoph sugar cane pad, and will order pads of Apica and Tomoe River from Goulet next week.

Thanks, Gents.

Apica Premium CD (the other apica stuff is no where near as good)
Life
Midori MD

three of my favourites right there

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm sitting here with an Ampad Gold Fibre pad. Doc4 (Ian) put me onto these. I've used canary yellow pads for decades and these work with fountain pens very well.

Ever thought of trying to find some vintage paper? You have to think that paper made before the switch to BPs handles FP ink better. I've seen old school pads and the like and antique stores on occasion.

i use sustainable earth by staples. its a suger cane based paper, and has responded very well to my noodlers ink with no feathering, though its easy to see the black in from the otherside. plus its going to be more available if you have a staples locally. that being said its not what i use for writing letters or doing more pressured writings. i use the SE paper for practice, jotting notes, designs, and the like.

Top Bottom