What's new

I need a good cutlery set

Knives I use daily: 8" chef's knife. 3" paring knife. Everyone should have these two. You can do 95% of what you need a kitchen knife for with these two pieces.

Knives I use occasionally: 8" carving knife. 5" utility. The carver gets used on large poultry and whole hams, mostly. The utility knife is kept wicked-sharp and mostly slices tomatoes. You only need a serrated tomato knife if you have dull knives.

Knives I never use: Boning knife. Vegetable cleaver. Never met a task for the boning knife I couldn't do with another one - YMMV, but probably not. Cleavers are the tools of butchers and Chinese cooks - I was taught to slice, not chop, so straight edges on knives annoy me.

I would recommend spending your dollars on a good full-tang forged 8" chef's knife with an obvious bolster from a reputable manufacturer (Chicago, Wusthof, Henckels, etc.), a paring knife, a honing steel, and a serrated bread knife. Store 'em on a magnetic holder, spend a few bucks on a set of Spyderco Sharpmaker stones, and learn to maintain the edges.

IMO Cutco, while they have their loyal fans, are ridiculously overpriced for what you get. Cutco charges more for a stamped sheet-metal blade than you would pay for a serviceable forged piece elsewhere.

Last edited:
We've had Chicago cutlery for a long time. Don't know if they've changed the steel which went into them. I know they've changed the handles to plastic on some of the newer knives I've seen. Don't get stainless steel. It's too soft. Stay with a high carbon steel and don't let it stay wet. It will rust. Even with a full set, you will end up favoring just a few of them. You just gotta have a good set of knives!

My son while working at a retailer during the summer college break got us a pretty good price on Wusthof Classic but it's pretty far from your price, as suggested you would be better suited to get a few quality pieces and then add as you can afford

I know this is an older thread but for the money, look at the Japanese knives Global or Shun! The steel is better quality and tempered much harder than any of the German made knives. They are harder to sharpen but hold that edge much longer. As said above you really only need three knives in a kitchen and can get away with only one. This is truly a case of quality over quanity

I found the link, this is what I got my mom for Christmas last year. She's been really happy with them and they looked like a nice pair. These two would get you well on your way for $100. After using them for a few weeks, you'll figure out what else you need and snatch them up one by one.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-dp/starter-knife-set-p115790

I don't like the knife block set up. I'm a fan of the wall-mounted magnetic strips instead. They save counter space and, of course, are universal. You can find them pretty cheap and pretty expensive. Mine was a cheap one from Target. You just have to remember to place the knives on spine first to avoid damage.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I found the link, this is what I got my mom for Christmas last year. She's been really happy with them and they looked like a nice pair. These two would get you well on your way for $100. After using them for a few weeks, you'll figure out what else you need and snatch them up one by one.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-dp/starter-knife-set-p115790

Good recommendation.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/55905-Poll-Who-owns-a-Tojiro-knife?highlight=tojiro

The 3 I use daily, thus can recommend, are cutco, shun and opinel. I use the Opine for a cigar cutter, hard Salome and cheese. while the other two brands, I use primarily for food preparation and occasionally cigar cutter. Cutco offers free sharpening, which is a good deal for me. if the bevel can not be hone back to factory specs, they replace it for no cost. their shears are the best I've seen. I started out with a few blades and built my collection over a decade +. Start with a good chefs knife that fits your hand. I am 5'8" & the 6" santuko is my daily blade because it fits my hand better. Matthew, who is 6'3" always reaches for my 9" Cutco French chef. for veggies i go Japanese with shun. I use the nakiri for chopping and the 4" paring. both very sharp. I make sausage, a boning knife is needed. I love my Cutco table knives, which is serrated it can be re sharpen by the factory. Cutco makes the only serrated bladed that can be renewed that I know of. I think that the opine carbon blades are superior to the s.s one. Andrew & Matthew got the ss blade. we all bought the #8 knife and mine is much sharper. I use mine daily, unlike their occasional use. I run it across the steel once a week and add olive oil every couple of days. it does stains very easy. finally, purchase a good steel and use it when ever you use you knife. it makes a huge amount of difference on maintaining the bevel. on you tube, Alton brown plugs shun and in other vids, shows technique and maintenance.

Top Bottom