What's new

I must be part of an elite group of the toughest, most courageous men on the planet.....

I hate the name cut throat razor. I really truly do. I am sure the movie Sweeney Todd didn't help at all either. If you are putting enough pressure on the blade to cause a life threatening injury, you are doing it wrong.
The French don't use the term "cut throat". Their nickname for straight razors is "coupe choux". Literally translated as "cabbage cutter". I quite like the term and it's certainly not as intimidating as cutthroat.

cheers
Andrew

I had a DE shave yesterday with my R41 for a change up as I haven’t used a DE for 2 years or so. I didn’t like it, lots of weepers which I never get with a straight. Very rough feeling too.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I had a DE shave yesterday with my R41 for a change up as I haven’t used a DE for 2 years or so. I didn’t like it, lots of weepers which I never get with a straight. Very rough feeling too.
I haven't tried to shave with a "safety" razor for well over a year. Over the past few months I have been trying to pluck up the courage to do so. Then you post ^this^ and bring me straight back to square one!

Most of my shaves are with SR, but i do like to maintain my DE and SE skills. I have had some grate shaves with my R41, and i have had some really bad shaves. I know it might be tough to edmit, but the tool might not be the issue here. In my case it was the man in the mirror that shaved my face:)

In fairness, the blade exposure on the R41 makes it a very “aggressive” razor.

Legion

Staff member
I’m removing hair from my face, not jumping a motorcycle over the Rio Grande.

Some clowns probably shave their nether regions with a straight. Give them the courageous medal.

A bit of practice, this stuff is easy, kids. Don’t buy the hype. Easy.

Most of my shaves are with SR, but i do like to maintain my DE and SE skills. I have had some grate shaves with my R41, and i have had some really bad shaves. I know it might be tough to edmit, but the tool might not be the issue here. In my case it was the man in the mirror that shaved my face:)
Ha there’s definitely something to this.
The R41 was my first and only DE, I used it for over a year and had great daily shaves from it. I remember it did take some getting used to.
But now I’ve seen the light and smoothness of a straight razor I find I can’t go back into the cave.

Reactions: JPO

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The French don't use the term "cut throat". Their nickname for straight razors is "coupe choux". Literally translated as "cabbage cutter". I quite like the term and it's certainly not as intimidating as cutthroat.

cheers
Andrew
I think in vernacular, at one time the "cabbage" was a condemned person's head. So it could also roughly be translated as "head chopper-offer".

I wish we had a National Razor here in England
Boris Johnson wouldn't use it. He doesn't even know what a comb is!
(This is only about his hair, not recent events)

Boris-Johnson-hair-history-920x690.jpg

I don't mind the term cut-throat. It's just a word, means nothing to me really. I've never found it to be a scary or off-putting term. There are way bigger fish to fry. I just call them straight razors. What other people call them is up to them and fine by me.

Playing with words and language, I would say that a straight razor is the first and original "razor".

Saying that, there shouldn't be a reason to add any more descriptive words to it, it's simply a "razor". Everything else that came after, had to be described as something else than a razor, hence the safety razor, cartridge razor, electric razor, etc.

It's only these days, because it's not the standard, that we have to qualify when we talk about a razor.

Whenever I have to mail a razor and they ask what the content is I would simply say "It's a razor", and no-one bats an eye. Because of the paranoia in the UK about knives, and knife crime, it avoids a lot of potential issues, and it is a true statement.

Top Bottom