What's new

I miss dressing up!

This self isolation and staying at home is difficult enough, but to make it worse I have no reason to get dressed up. I have some wonderful clothes and I miss getting dressed up...even to go to the local coffee shop...but now even that is closed. And dressing up just to be around the house just isn't the same.

Anyone with me on this?

This self isolation and staying at home is difficult enough, but to make it worse I have no reason to get dressed up. I have some wonderful clothes and I miss getting dressed up...even to go to the local coffee shop...but now even that is closed. And dressing up just to be around the house just isn't the same.

Anyone with me on this?
I feel exactly the same way. I worked in a factory for forty years. Before I retired I started buying lots of nice clothes and threw out my old life. I like dressing sharp and tastefully. Sport jackets, shoes, fashionable nice fitting jeans etc. Now I have closets full of nice things to wear but can only lay about the house in sweats. I can’t even go to the coffee shop.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've only been out for doctor visits, some groceries.......this from someone who used to dress in ties on my last job, tho business casual (whatever that really means) was expected.

So now that I'm retired I wear a sports coat so much I really should just get rid of all my coats. I just don't wear them.

I've been only wearing nice shoes for awhile now. I'm officially an old fart now.

I even stopped using my scented aftershaves. What for? No one will get a wiff of me. A waste of scent. I’ve just been using regular moisturizer instead.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I even stopped using my scented aftershaves. What for? No one will get a wiff of me. A waste of scent. I’ve just been using regular moisturizer instead.
Lol, I've been using MORE aftershave lately. A lot! Just at random times during the day! Driving my lovely War Department crazy asking her to smell my face all the time!

When she eventually puts the pillow over my face she'll never even be charged!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Anyone with me on this?
I retired several years ago and miss it as well. All my suits and dress shirts just hang infilled and lonely. I only dress up for funerals now.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've been doing a bit of wardrobe organising this week, chucking out a few old items, and was thinking about this very same thing.

I have one evening suit, one regular suit (down from four), some other dressy items, and some smart casual items. They take up over half of my hanging rail, but aren't getting used. The regular casual daily clothes, were only taking up about a third of the hanging rail space. I need to think about demoting some of the save for best items to regular wear.

I've had a bit of a head start on this isolation business for health reasons. Last year, before the current normality meltdown, I went out for a meal twice, theatre twice, one family event, and met up with friends only a handful of other times. That doesn't justify two thirds of my hanging space. I've stopped working, yet still had over a dozen office shirts, and five pairs of smart trousers. I've culled half my ties, but still have 25 neck ties and 8 bow ties.

I'm currently agonising over what to demote to daily use, what to cast out, and what few to keep for when the world sorts itself out, bearing in mind that my health won't have. All the while, I'm missing wearing them.

I am now into week 8 (or 9 I forget!) of restrictions as I was travelling and went into self-isolation before our Govt lockdown started.

I am working from home and at least trying to wear a collared shirt each day, even if just with some chinos. It's starting to get colder here so pairing with a nice jumper is good.

Like the others, I have not worn any of my rather expensive oxfords, brogues etc for some time. My home office is a seperate little cabin from my house so I wear moccasins which I can take off indoors.

I have a couple of orders from Brooks Brothers coming, so I am at least preparing for when our restrictions will hopefully ease in a few weeks!

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Having had to wear the same suit and tie 4-5 evenings a week since last May, I’m rather enjoying lounging about in pyjamas and t shirts for most of the day.

As far as footwear goes, Crocs have been my go to ever since before the pandemic. Have multiple pairs of the hideous things, but they’re so comfortable...

Something is wrong with you people. :) Once I didn't have to wear a suit for work (years ago now) I've rarely put on a suit. I certainly don't miss it.

I don't even like wearing long pants and shoes. If I had my way I'd only wear short pants and flip flop/sandals and I generally do have my way. :)

Anyone with me on this?

I am with you. I have some wonderful dress clothes, including some tailored suits, shirts, trousers, sport jackets and nearly 50 ties. I definitely miss dressing up for work.

Tim

I have to agree with the OP. I too miss getting dressed up. I've been more or less out of the daily suit attire since the beginning of 2017. In the financial services industry a suit and tie was the must have uniform. Back in 2007 or so I was hired to a top position at a boutique wealth management firm. I had bought a couple new suits for the occassion. I typically wore a dark suit, either navy blue or charcoal gray, solid or pinstripe, white shirt with french cuffs, a dashing tie and black cap toe oxfords or black tassle loafers. You know, banker style. One morning I was on my way into Manhattan for a client meeting and was in one of my new Navy suits, a white shirt with french cuffs and probably a nice smart tie with freshly shined cap toes. I was sitting in a Charbucks enjoying a morning coffee and all of a sudden a woman comes up to me and says "I just have to say you look really fantastic." I was stunned because that has never happened to me before. I smiled and said "Thank you so much." Now, I'm definitely not the suave debonnaire guy I wish I was who can think on his feet. What I should have followed that with was "Would you like to join me for a cup of coffee, tea, or me?" But no. I'm just an idiot. I'm also married with kid. So, yeah. Anyway, back to the point. She made me feel really good. And it was simply because I happened to be dressed nice that morning. I do miss that. But then again, I feel much more comfortable in the suit without a tie and the collar open.

I once had a boss ask if I owned any clothes other than jeans, pocket T's or flannel shirts. My answer was no. Now in my mid 70s, retired 10+ years, I still don't own a pair of slacks or a suit. However, 2 months of wearing nothing but sweatpants is giving me adult diaper rash since I have no reason to even put on jeans to go anywhere.

Top Bottom