What's new

I might become a steep shaver

I can't believe it. For years I have been operating under the belief that riding the cap is the way. It only makes sense. It has the best cutting angle, so with enough skill and a light touch it would remove whiskers the most efficiently with the most ease and comfort.

However, my shaves for longer than I can remember have been problematic. Not horrible, but no BBS to speak of and mild irritation with shaves close to BBS. Some days are better than others. Like most, my neck is the biggest challenge. I have a lot of whiskers on my neck that grow parallel to the skin to 30 degrees or so, and in all different directions.

So I've been reading a lot of never-stop-learning posts lately, mostly started because of the excellent ongoing review thread he's doing on the $75 to $125 razors. In various posts he has referenced his staunch belief that steep is the way. In his typical style, he has described some of his technique in helpful detail.

Today was shave day with a four day growth. I have been frustrated and dissatisfied with my Karve. I have everything from A to F in solid bar. I've been going more and more mild because of my problem with razor burn and irritation, and have been left wanting for lack of a closer shave. So I figured, what the heck? I might as well try some of that stuff.

I went right to my F plate, which I have not used in over a year. I don't know how steep I went, but it was much more than I've ever gone before. The whiskers came of efficiently and comfortably like they do with my ATT G1 (my favorite for some months now). My angle drifted at times, and I would feel that "bad feeling" I have experienced so much of late, and I would realize I was going shallow (habits can be tough) and would have to correct.

I ended up with one of the best shaves I have had in a very long time with a DE razor. It was not perfect. There was some irritation, but much less than usual. Not perfect BBS, but way closer than usual. I attribute all of my irritation to my lack of skill in this new-to-me technique. Overall, I am thrilled and love my Karve razor again. Now we will see in the coming weeks whether I can repeat these results consistently, or if this is one of those random, magic shaves I get now and again.

If this turns out to be the real thing for me, I'm going to be wondering if I should buy that G plate or not. How could it be that much different than the F?

It never stops, does it?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Here you go!

Yes join the SASA! Very happy you found the steep angle, as all the "tutorials" show to used the cap flat and slowly increase.... Which to me is completely the wrong approach. Use the guard or comb to find the angle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I can't believe it. For years I have been operating under the belief that riding the cap is the way. It only makes sense. It has the best cutting angle, so with enough skill and a light touch it would remove whiskers the most efficiently with the most ease and comfort.

However, my shaves for longer than I can remember have been problematic. Not horrible, but no BBS to speak of and mild irritation with shaves close to BBS. Some days are better than others. Like most, my neck is the biggest challenge. I have a lot of whiskers on my neck that grow parallel to the skin to 30 degrees or so, and in all different directions.

So I've been reading a lot of never-stop-learning posts lately, mostly started because of the excellent ongoing review thread he's doing on the $75 to $125 razors. In various posts he has referenced his staunch belief that steep is the way. In his typical style, he has described some of his technique in helpful detail.

Today was shave day with a four day growth. I have been frustrated and dissatisfied with my Karve. I have everything from A to F in solid bar. I've been going more and more mild because of my problem with razor burn and irritation, and have been left wanting for lack of a closer shave. So I figured, what the heck? I might as well try some of that stuff.

I went right to my F plate, which I have not used in over a year. I don't know how steep I went, but it was much more than I've ever gone before. The whiskers came of efficiently and comfortably like they do with my ATT G1 (my favorite for some months now). My angle drifted at times, and I would feel that "bad feeling" I have experienced so much of late, and I would realize I was going shallow (habits can be tough) and would have to correct.

I ended up with one of the best shaves I have had in a very long time with a DE razor. It was not perfect. There was some irritation, but much less than usual. Not perfect BBS, but way closer than usual. I attribute all of my irritation to my lack of skill in this new-to-me technique. Overall, I am thrilled and love my Karve razor again. Now we will see in the coming weeks whether I can repeat these results consistently, or if this is one of those random, magic shaves I get now and again.

If this turns out to be the real thing for me, I'm going to be wondering if I should buy that G plate or not. How could it be that much different than the F?

It never stops, does it?
That guy is a total treasure!

Will have to try this method you infidels are proselytizing about!
Yes, David is the Bomb!

Thank you, Gentlemen. I am humbled by your kind feedback. Thank you very much. :)

Steep feels a lot better for me as well. I always thought riding the cap = mild/comfortable and riding the guard = rough. But this turned out to be wrong in my experience. I ride the guard at a steep angle all the time now for a smooth, gliding strokes

Tomorrow is shave day. I think I will have a pretty good idea whether the last shave was one of those shaving anomalies or whether steep works for me after the whiskers are cut. I will give a brief report.

Fingers crossed...

I find most razors tell you what angle to use. I don’t go for steep or shallow, I go with what intuitively feels best with the razor/blade at hand.

OK, I shaved today. It sucked, pure and simple. My neck is raw and irritated. Nothing like the last shave at all, except for the closeness.

Two things are possible, I think (can't really know for sure, now, can we?).
1. Lather was just too thin.
2. I went too steep? Is that possible?

In any case, I adjusted mid-shave and avoided a complete facial catastrophe. I did find some angles that worked well. I don't know if they would be classified as "steep", but they sure weren't riding the cap.

More technique development is needed. I still think that riding the cap is not the answer for me. Parts of my shave were successful. I will pursue this further.

Top Bottom