What's new

I made a razor

Legion

Staff member
Well it had to happen eventually. I've tried doing just about everything else to do with straight shaving, I had to try and make a razor.

And this is it!

It is a kamisori style, asymmetrical grind. But the blade is longer than a normal kamisori, at 2 3/4". It was very hard going, because I used hard, high carbon steel (a file) and did not anneal it first. I just went VERY slowly, grinding away and dipping it to keep it cold. Grind, dip, grind, dip... for I wont tell you how long.

It's not perfect. The bevel isn't completely even and the grinds aren't perfect, but as a proof of concept it took a good edge and shaved, so I call it a success.

My next one will be from annealed steel and then properly heat treated, so I expect that to be a lot easier. :001_smile

proxy.php

Great work my friend!

That is an awesome piece of steel, the old file shows off in the handle.
Rough & beautiful all in one!

Legion

Staff member
Thanks. :blush:

I ground it all smooth except for that trace of file tooth on the handle. It's still ground down a lot, but that little bit gives it some grip when wet, and looks a bit decorative.

Legion

Staff member
I just used a PA multitool belt grinder for the blade and rough shaping the handle. Then I rounded and smoothed the spine and handle using a Dremmel, then I hand sanded it to a satin finish, like you would a blade restore.

I set the bevel on DMT, then went through my usual progression of stones up to 12k and CrO, but honing 7-1, like usual with a kamisori.

proxy.php

I just used a PA multitool belt grinder for the blade and rough shaping the handle. Then I rounded and smoothed the spine and handle using a Dremmel, then I hand sanded it to a satin finish, like you would a blade restore.

I set the bevel on DMT, then went through my usual progression of stones up to 12k and CrO, but honing 7-1, like usual with a kamisori.

proxy.php
Awesome :thumbup:

I like it! and I can guess how long it took......lol

Just a idea...
Do a searching on sander/grinder belts and you should be able to find someone that can made a belt for you. That way, you could get a few higher grit belts made and cut down on the amount of hand sanding

Good work, now get started on the second one

I know personally how well your strops are made.
It's no surprise that you'd get to the razors.

Looks good!
When can we expect pictures of the next one??

Excellent!

I have pondered one of those multitools as a blade grinder. Looks like it works! Obviously it us no BurrKing, but for the price, looks like it gets the job done.

Legion

Staff member
It works fine. The only problem is that the diameter of the wheel on the front is too big to do much of a hollow grind. Be better for knives.

I like it a lot. It looks like a Japanese crossed with a western--are non-Japanese refered to as western, standard or something else. Sorry, I'm new.

Either way it looks very cool.

It works fine. The only problem is that the diameter of the wheel on the front is too big to do much of a hollow grind. Be better for knives.
That wheels not too big.An 8 inch wheel is normally used for razors,10 inch for knives.

Well done:thumbup1:
Egad grinding 60 HRC from scratch ! Not surprised you'll anneal the next one :tongue_sm
btw What speed is the grinder ? & What's to stop you from inventing/fitting different sized wheels ?

Top Bottom