What's new

I love Papa Johns.

Any pizzaria outside Chicagoland that tries to make deep dish is going to screw it up. Guaranteed.

As a native Chicagoan, even one who does prefer New York pizza, I have to say this statement is entirely correct. The best example would be Uno's. The national chain is absolutely horrible, and their pizza bears no resemblance to the sublime creations served at the original location. A pizza from the real Uno's, with their homemade sausage, is a local delicacy. No, you can't pick it up, fold it in half and stuff it into your mouth like a NYC slice. But it's still great. The chain doesn't even come close to duplicating the taste and texture of the real thing.

Nick

Let's turn this into a "recommend me some good pizza places in NYC" thread. I used to live right up the hill from Grimaldi's, but I never went there, because the line was ridiculous.

I actually do like deep dish, but not as much as NY pizza.

Let's turn this into a "recommend me some good pizza places in NYC" thread. I used to live right up the hill from Grimaldi's, but I never went there, because the line was ridiculous.

Some of my favorites:

Joe's on Camine (possibly the perfect slice)
John's on Bleecker
Totonno's
Patsy's
and of course, Lombadi's - who claim to be the first pizzeria in the United States, having opened in 1905.

Nick

You don't get a cheesesteak anywhere outside Philly, you don't get a deepdish anywhere outside Chicago, you don't get smoked meat outside of NYC or Montreal.

There are just too many good places in NYC to mention. I've had a slice in literally thousands of places.

Switching gears a bit... One of my favorite New York style Pizza joint is actually in Vermont. American Flatbread in Waitsfield. Local ingredients, thin crust baked in a brick oven to perfection. Knock it back with a pint of Lawson's finest liquids. Pure nirvana. In mid Winter, people stand outside an hour or more in single digit temps to get a table.

They are opening up a place in TriBeCa shortly. Check them out...

Last edited:
you don't get smoked meat outside of NYC or Montreal.

Lifelong New Yorker here... The Brisket guys from Texas, Pork fellows from North Carolina and Rib dudes from Kansas City just might take issue with that. I think you meant salted/cured meats (could be smoked) maybe?

Thank you for putting this thread in the barber shop, since Papa John's doesn't qualify for the mess hall.

I will agree with this. My poor kids always have Papa Johns night at school. In the past 5 years my son had it at his old school almost weekly, it raises money for the PTA. Now we are in a new school district, same thing, Papa Johns night. My daughter came home excited about Papa Johns pizza night. I could not even get one word out before my son told her, "Mommy hates Papa Johns, she will give money to the PTA instead".

I have been tempted to go ahead and let the kids eat it, I am just afraid they may like it. I have not many pizzas I do not like, something about their sauce is weird.

The best pizza I have ever had is in New York, Canal street in China town. Cannot remember the name of the place or if it is still there, best pizza and Stromboli ever.

Never had Papa Johns although there is one closer than the pizza joint I usually go to. I tend not to like chain pizzas and figured it's just another Dominos or Pizza Hut.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Most will agree that PJ is better than PH or Dominos. Put it down to better quality ingredients, mostly. The individual outlets are also, I think, run more professionally than the other two chains. My suggestion is to check the website for specials and promo codes, and order on a day with a particularly appealing special. Remember, pizza is like sex. When it is good, it is fantastic. When it is not so good, it is actually still pretty okay. I have never yet taken delivery of a pizza that ended up feeding the fish or the neighbor's dog. Give it a try. Go on... risk $10 just to satisfy your curiousity. No, PJ pizza is not artisanal quality, to be perfectly realistic about it. But it is consistent and available, convenient, and cheap.

JetsMets#1fan... Do you live in NY? Because in NY we excommunicate folks if they eat Pizza from Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Dominos... or if they go near the Chicago deep dish bread with crap on top of it. :biggrin1:

+1 I saw a man walk out of a Dominos and an unmarked white van pulled up next to him and threw him in the back his pizza sitting in the street. Never saw him again.

I will say though if you can't get good pizza and don't make your own, Papa Johns is better then the others. I ate a lot of Papa Johns when I was in college

I've been living in Italy eating Italian pizza for four and a half years now and I love it. that being said I deeply deeply miss Papa Johns!

Jerry Jones from the Dallas Cowgirls (and that's dallascowboys.com and not cowboys.com) has an ownership stake in PJ's ... take that for what it's worth.

Best pizza in DFW is Piggie Pies.

To each their own, but for me Papa John's is terrible. The only one worse than Papa John's is Pizza Hut. I remember Pizza Hut was pretty good when I was a kid. I think they may be owned by a German conglomerate now. I ordered Dominos for the kids a few nights ago and we tried their new pan pizza - it was pretty good considering that it came from Dominos. I do agree with WesternModern that 'tis far better to support the local shops. I don't mind paying a little more, especially since I usually get much better quality and variety for my money.

The pies are from my oven Nick. I agree, NYC pizza has it hands down.

I was waiting for a photo from you Jim. You made me jealous!

As I have said a number of times, the one thing I miss after moving from NYC was the pizza. I went to college and law school in Greenwich Village and there were some great pizza places there.

The last time I visited my son, who lives in Brooklyn, we had pizza from two places that rivaled any that I had in Manhattan. One was called Sottocassa on Atlantic Ave. The pizza was incredible. Another time he took me to a whole in the wall place: DI Fara's located in Midwood. When you look at the place you are hesitant to go in. The tables in the place were folding tables. I looked around and there was only one person making pizza. It took over 30 minutes to get the pizza since he seems to do only one or two at a time. When the pizza came out I was shocked at how expensive it was. But the taste was incredible.

When we we ready to return home my son and I made a repeat visit to DiFara's. However, it was closed that day. It seems he opens and closes as the mood hits him.

Any of you New Yorkers try those two places?

I actually do like deep dish, but not as much as NY pizza.

I knew it !! Yogi was right when he said - "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" :001_smile

Lifelong New Yorker here... The Brisket guys from Texas, Pork fellows from North Carolina and Rib dudes from Kansas City just might take issue with that. I think you meant salted/cured meats (could be smoked) maybe?

Nah, nah, what do you guys call it there? Pastrami, I think?

I don't care what you pizza elitists say. I absolutely LOVE Costco pizza. $10 for a XL supreme. I get home and throw it the oven for another 5 minutes or so at 500 to crisp up the crust and its beautiful.

Top Bottom