What's new

I love my shave and I love the money I am saving!

We're supposed to be SAVING money? Stupid me. I thought we were supposed to be SPENDING money. I spend more in a month than I did in a year when I used a cartridge. I do enjoy it, which can't be said for my first 45 years of shaving.

Congratulations to the OP.

You have a fine kit and can enjoy knowing that when you walk into a room, you will be the best shaved person there.

If you choose down the road to upgrade, you'll see many folks who have enjoyed Omega and Semogue boar brushes, horse hair brushes are getting some good press as well as some inexpensive badgers.

Even though many of us have picked up our AD's, you'll often see some of those same folks who enjoy bargain priced, but effective products such as the excellent Arko or VDH Deluxe.

I'll give the OP a week.

Oh, give him at least a month, guys! My ADs still cost less than Gillette Mach3 carts at $15 for five (about $15 a week if I took a guess at what it would cost me to use those monstrosities, I was too cheap to even try them so I will assume they last one shave like my DE blades do). If I spend an average of $25 a month, I am spending more than I would like. Compare $25 monthly (estimate of ADs and DE shaving) to $60 plus monthly (five shaves a week estimate with a Mach3 multiplied by four and that does not even include shaving cream), I will take the $25 for DE shaving every time even though I am a tightwad! I don't know how anyone can spend $60 plus for triple bladed pieces of plastic each month (even disposables like Bics or the double-blade Personnas and Wilkinson Swords are much cheaper if you aren't old)!

Gotta agree with giving him a month... Maybe 6 weeks.

Now if someone sends him a sample of Martin de Candre, all bets are off... lol

money I am saving ?? wow

That's what i thought. 3 months in and i'm on 13 razors with 2 more on the way, about 8 different soaps, couple of hundred blades, with more blades and razors on the way. No signs of any brush AD yet though, one badger and one synthetic seem to be enough for me.

Billock,

You know... You really should try a badger brush... They are ONLY $10 at Target stores... Look in the shaving section for "Shea Soft" Not the best badger in the world, but better than a $4 CVS brush...

OK guys, who else can recommend a *true* upgrade to this poor guy who only seems to own 1 of any particular item, that is *cheap* and easily available? I think we need to help him on his way :)

Thanks to all of the reply's you guys but as far as money I am as tight as bark around a tree! So I don't think I will go on a buying spree!

Sorry, but I laughed when I read this. I'll check back with you in a week or two, after you've spent a few hundred dollars on the latest and greatest soap/cream collection. I don't care how strong you are, you will succumb to some sort of AD.

Good luck, and welcome to B&B.

+1

Thanks to all of the reply's you guys but as far as money I am as tight as bark around a tree! So I don't think I will go on a buying spree!

Good luck still...Just go ahead and get yourself some samples (they are cheap from Garry). Then all the sudden you want to try this aftershave and that soap, what if that cream lathers well for me and smells delicious? Yeah, it is easy to say until you find something that interests you (be it cream, aftershave, brushes, razors, etc.). Then it is all over but the spending.

So at this point in time, half way through the year I have spent probably around 500 dollars on all of my stuff (this is starting from scratch and starting with a DE as well as moving into straights). I still have saved about 300 dollars this year. I basically have limited myself to spending 300 or less for the rest of the year. At least then I break even. Plus I have slowed down the past couple weeks. I ordered most of the stuff I wanted to try, have settled on some of my scents, found blades that work (now to order some more of them). I have a lot of stuff on the way still that I have to try and see if I like. Still trying brushes, found one I like but I can't give up before trying a horse and synthetic :) .

Either way, good luck...It is definitely hard to resist temptation when so many people rave about an item or you just get curious.

You know... You really should try a badger brush... They are ONLY $10 at Target stores... Look in the shaving section for "Shea Soft" Not the best badger in the world, but better than a $4 CVS brush...
I love my Tweezerman Badger brush, currently available on Amazon for $10.28. Free shpping if you're an Amazon Prime customer, or eligible for Free Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.

:lol: I was thinking that this AM. Less than 1 year in and I have 4 safety razors, a straight, 3 soaps, 2 lathering bowls, 1 brush and material to make a strop. Not as bad as some, but it is definitely progressing.

Same here. Less than 3 months in. 4 safety razors, 6 soaps (just ordered more today), 1 bowl, 3 brushes. Don't even mention the afershaves and lotions. But hey the blades are so cheap compared to the carts. (thats how I justify all the packages coming to the door to the wife).

Billock,

OK guys, who else can recommend a *true* upgrade to this poor guy who only seems to own 1 of any particular item, that is *cheap* and easily available? I think we need to help him on his way :)

I actually like my $3 Burma Shave boar brush. My only complaint is that every time I shave, I lose a few bristles. I figure I have about 75 per cent of the bristles left on the brush and it still works great after over six months, so I am happy.

I think I've recently gone about a month without buying any shaving stuff....

That is the longest streak I've managed since I came back (in 2009) to wet shaving with a DE. Still can't remember why I went back to the dark side for a few years..:sad:

I actually like my $3 Burma Shave boar brush. My only complaint is that every time I shave, I lose a few bristles. I figure I have about 75 per cent of the bristles left on the brush and it still works great after over six months, so I am happy.

I started with the same brush about 17 years ago, lasted me about a year. Replaced with a badger, Saville Row, that I got. off Ebay for something like $ 35... it's been my daily brush for about 6 years. I think it lost 2 hairs when it was new. Brush still looks new, except wear on the labels. It probably has another 15 years in it... comes out to about a dollar a year for great shaves, no hairs to contend with... way more economical than a 3rd dollar brush each year... and a lot more luxurious to boot.

Top Bottom