What's new

I Love Customs

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm curious to see how this ends, please, keep the post updated

That really stinks. Hope the majority gets to you. If not all.

I ordered two brushes recently, One from Simpson and another from Shavemac. Got the Simpson after a month and still waiting on the Shavemac. I got hit with waiting for the outbound processing in England and Germany. Then the US customs wait time. At least it is not on a cargo ship off the coast of California. Might be a year till I get it.

Customs is a necessary evil. What really annoys me is the administration fees. My last order from the UK had VAT and customs charges of about €9 and a €10 administration fee.

I bought a(nother) Heljestrand MK 24 from Sweden that hasn't arrived. As it is within the EU, customs shouldn't be involved at all, but who knows. I bought an E A Berg from the same seller and it arrived in a week. I guess after two months the 24 won't be arriving.

Apparently, the Brazilian FDA is still evaluating whether or not my soaps pose any sanitary threat to the country.

PS. Customs, import duties and living in "far away" countries create a conundrum of sorts, when it comes to soaps. Since you're always afraid of buying "too much" in order to save in S&H costs, but running the risk of being subject to import duties, the price differential between expensive and inexpensive soaps become less pronounced: would you rather pay 15 euros for a spieck stick, or 30 euros for a 20 euro soap, since both orders command a 10 euro s&h charge?

Bureacratic organizations tend to hire from the bottom of the barrel, seems to be a universal truth. :lol:
they are the bottom of the barrel and they are hire from even lower places. except the few mishap when proper workforce shows up - processes and attitude tend to be break them or chase them away. Actually our mailmen and courier guys are absolutely fine, hard working ppl. The problem is somewher above them where occult powers are running amok.

postal services and customs are dark forces and when they work together I'm sure antimatters, dark energies and inside out singularities come to life to prey on the innocents.

My lovely govt forced the online shops to collect gst at point of sale and yield the loot back to the government. The big ones are complacent. (in the old days if whatever you ordered was under #300 or so, it just came through, above it you had to pay customs and gst, which was OK I guess. Also it was hardly enforced but if you got caught tricking the system they fined you :)

Ok...!

After an additional US$ 10 in import fees, the package arrived!

Together with the Fitjar samples I had bought in lieu of "consolation prize" in case the original order never made it.

Original order:

Spieck (new version). Easy lather but the scent is definitely not for me.

Haslinger Aloe Vera. Very natural scent. Tried face lathering, really easy. Haven't shaved yet. But I don't forsee it overtaking the Schafmilch.

Ach. Brito Mogno was a replacement, so no surprises here. Haven't opened it yet.

Feather Blades. Also a replacement, so no surprises either.

The "consolation prize" order - Fitjar samples.

I developed a real fondness for the Fjellheim (sample), after a less than stellar start. The scent is as natural as it gets and gives me great joy.

Flogefonn. If you like menthol and don't mind spending on expensive creams/soaps, I do recommend it. Highly. Somehow it's not as present/overpowering (less than Proraso when you're shaving), but it does linger - at least for me. Take this with a grain of salt, because my experience is limited to Proraso Green. But, just like Fjellheim, it is incredibly natural.

Slatteroy. It's sauna. On rum! Again, impressively natural. For my taste, however, I prefer Fjellheim over Slatteroy.

Both (like Fjellheim) provided great post shave feel.

I'd like to try Havn. But I'm seriously considering buying a Fjellheim soap.

This whole experience had an interesting effect. Maybe the fact that I got a bunch of stuff together. But the thing is, it moved further into the "minimalist" camp. I don't feel like buying more stuff and would be really happy with:

Razor - Gillette Brazilian Goodwill

Blades - Feather blades

Brushes - Omega Jade Boar and the T3 (I have an EJ STF on the way, though, also ordered as a "consolation prize" during the Customs episode, and I'll see how it fares against the T3, but I don't think I'll have the 2 on rotation)

Soaps - Schafmilch; Fjellheim; Mogno.

Last edited:
Top Bottom