What's new

I LOST MY RAZORS!!!

Can't really help much on the slant side, as I really didn't care for most of the slants I've tried. The two I've owned that were nice shavers, out of 6 or 7, were the short lived Stirling and the Ikon X3, yet didn't care for most of the others. The Fine Metal, not to be confused with their ABS (plastic) offering, shaved well, however, I didn't think it shaved well enough to justified the premium price tag. (The Fine was part of a pass-around I participated in). I'm just not a slant person, I admit it, I'd rather have an OC than a Slant. Even the X3 is going, I finally took pics over the weekend, so I can list it on BST.

If you're looking for a strait bar (smooth bar), the Gillette Adjustables give a nice shave and have the option to 'adjust' to just how much blade feel or gap you want. - I know a used razor sometimes bothers people, but it's an option for an all brass constructed razor for maybe $30 or so. (Fat-Boys are the smoothest for me, but the Slim and Super Adjustable shave closer).

If you want new, relatively inexpensive adjustable, there's also the Futur clones, which can be had for $10 or less, if you don't mind a couple week wait, or around $20 for one already in country. They shave surprisingly well, and are quite smooth doing so. Honestly, it shaves smoother up until maybe 4.5 than my Rockwell, and never clogs. - Quality is hit or miss, most align really well, but some can have uneven blade exposure or tilt to them.

Up the ladder and more modern in the adjustable arena is the Merkur Futur and Progress, and of course the Parker Variant, which is an improved or tweaked Progress design by Parker. The Progress and Variant are easier to load a blade into, and a bit more controllable than the Futur or it's clones. While I've never had a problem with mine (MingShi Clone), others occasionally have cut a thumb or finger popping the cap off to load their blade.

The Rockwell may also be an option, with interchangeable base plates. They have the 6S at around $100, and the 6C around $50, the former being made of stainless, the latter chromed zamak/zinc alloy. My 6S was my favorite razor for the longest time, just an easy razor to shave with, even with plate R6, the most aggressive. (Mine has R6 permanently installed for the most part).

For open comb, the Schone/Fatip is pretty nice for the money, typically mid $20s, for vintage the Gillette New LC or SC, with my preference lately being the SC. (Once you find the angle, the SC is more comfortable, at least on my face). I feel the Gillette SC is better shaver, however, others will probably favor the Schone or Fatip (nearly the same razor).

For a premium or luxury razor, take a look at Timeless. There were a couple of used ones on this board last week, and Timeless themselves sells returns, after cleaning & disinfecting them. I have their .95 OC in Stainless, and it's a very smooth razor, and actually smoother than many strait bar razors, but oh so much more efficient. - On early mornings, like today, I simply face lather and just do a ATG right off the bat, with a little touch-up XTG/WTG depending upon area, and I'm BBS. I shave pretty much daily, and mostly use my 95 OC daily, other than a King Gillette weekend or taking a day to mix it up. (If I could have just one razor, it would be my Timeless). - If you don't mind spending maybe $150, and actually if you grab a $10 + s&h Weber blemished handle, maybe less, that would be my best pick for a fantastic razor.

That title all in capital letters suggests you lost a rare vintage collection of ~ 800 razors... phew!...
That's exactly what I thought! :scared: There was a thread some years ago about a member who had an extravagant straight razor collection who had been burglarized and his entire collection.

I'm gonna second or third the Gillette New Long Comb with the bar handle. I have had mine for 6 years and even sent it off to be replated in bright nickel. IMHO its the best razor Gillette ever made(YMMV) and the great thing is there are plenty of them out there at decent prices.

If you're interested in learning a straight razor, I'd like to suggest you get yourself another safety razor first then start practicing with a straight. Many of us come to love them, especially because a straight can really mow through some tough, thick scruff :gun_bandana:. There are many of us on the forum ready and willing to help in any way possible to help you on your way to the dark side. :a45:

That's exactly what I thought! :scared: There was a thread some years ago about a member who had an extravagant straight razor collection who had been burglarized and his entire collection.

I'm gonna second or third the Gillette New Long Comb with the bar handle. I have had mine for 6 years and even sent it off to be replated in bright nickel. IMHO its the best razor Gillette ever made(YMMV) and the great thing is there are plenty of them out there at decent prices.

If you're interested in learning a straight razor, I'd like to suggest you get yourself another safety razor first then start practicing with a straight. Many of us come to love them, especially because a straight can really mow through some tough, thick scruff :gun_bandana:. There are many of us on the forum ready and willing to help in any way possible to help you on your way to the dark side. :a45:

I can personally vouch for the generosity and great advice from many of the guys here and I would consider them good friends.

I have never used a slant so I won't comment on a replacement for it.

On the straights front, I find them really special but like what Ashley said, it's not for everyone.

The skill and costs acquisition for them is rather high. You'll really need to invest time and some decent equipment like a good strope, lapping films or a really good cot and that's after you've decided on which which razor best suits you lol.

I love my straights and I'll need to invest in a lot of time to use them better but I am willing to do it.

I will concur on the following.

Straights are not the next progression but a whole new skill set including sharpening and such. If you want to invest the time and effort Gold Dollar straights are cheap enough to start dabbling with. Buy 2, one have professional honed for regular use and use the other to practice sharpening with.

If the 39C worked for you before, buy another one before branching out into other razors this way if one of those other razors don't work for you that is your fallback razor.

I would get an adjustable, Gillette Slims I think are the best value right now in vintage razors. You can find ones in almost pristine condition that works correctly for a lot less than any other Gillette adjustable if you want to find the right auction. Find what setting(s) you like best first then come back with another post looking for razor recommendations based on that instead of throwing good money after bad. Not that some of the other suggestions are bad but your preference may not be for those types of razors.

Another vote for the 39c for now. Plus you may find that although you like the feather blade in this particular razor, It may not necessarily work for you in another. It’s funny how that works but it does happen and you might end up opening a whole other can of worms for yourself. Stick to what you like until you’re ready to go down this wet shaving rabbit hole. LOL JK enjoy the journey and have fun.

Top Bottom