What's new

I LOST MY RAZORS!!!

Hey B&B,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. First off thanks to the forum for your indispensable assistance over the years. From Kyle's Prep to reviews on blades and soaps, I've saved a lot of time and money by doing my research here first.

I just moved and, as the title states, I lost my Merkur 39c and my Bevel razor. I'm looking to see what direction to take in getting a replacement razor. I was satisfied with my 39c as I have larger hands and usually only shave 2-3 times per week. While a well built and quality razor, the Bevel was too mild for my taste. My go-to blades are Feather. At this junction should I get another 39c or other slant razor, switch to an open comb, or graduate to a straight razor? I've never used a straight before and even after 5+ years of wet shaving the potential new skill and maintenance are intimidating. I have a coarse curly hair which quickly builds up which has me curious about never before used open combs. As always suggestions are warmly welcomed. Please make sure that all razors mentioned are readily available as this will be my daily/weekly driver and I have no razor at the moment.

The Gillette New (long comb or short comb) is an excellent OC and shouldn't be terribly expensive. I find it to be extremely efficient bordering on dangerous. So with your tough beard it should be an excellent choice. It's also adjustable by unscrewing slightly to widen the gap. They designed it to do that.

I think most people here agree that the Gillette Slim Adjustable is a razor that every DE shaver should own. Or try at the very least. It's one of the most readily available, inexpensive, and versatile razors out there.
proxy.php
proxy.php

The Gillette New (long comb or short comb) is an excellent OC and shouldn't be terribly expensive. I find it to be extremely efficient bordering on dangerous. So with your tough beard it should be an excellent choice. It's also adjustable by unscrewing slightly to widen the gap. They designed it to do that.

I think most people here agree that the Gillette Slim Adjustable is a razor that every DE shaver should own. Or try at the very least. It's one of the most readily available, inexpensive, and versatile razors out there.
proxy.php
proxy.php

These are some unique stands!

I would go back to the 39C for a ‘baseline’ since that works well for you!

Then you can add others! :a14::a14:

proxy.php
proxy.php
I looked up the Gillette new on eBay just now and I see there are two handle styles. The fat like in your picture and then another with a ball end. Is either one known for better quality?

I looked up the Gillette new on eBay just now and I see there are two handle styles. The fat like in your picture and then another handle style that varies in width. Is either one known for better quality?
I don't think so. I think the major difference is mine may be hollow and is more head-heavy. The ball end kind may be more balanced. I have used both and I like mine a bit better. And since you have larger hands, I'd recommend mine because it's wider. There's not a mark on mine and it's from 1934-36. Obviously it's held up extremely well!

That title all in capital letters suggests you lost a rare vintage collection of ~ 800 razors... phew!...
Lol no but I only had those 2 and they were used for shaving not as show pieces. I thought about grabbing a TTO from Sally's but I don't want to move backwards if I can avoid it.

Welcome to B&B. If the 39C worked for you then you should replace it with another 39C; better the devil you know....

Welcome to B&B. Another vote for staying with what works for you: 39C. Then you can add to the collection.

I recommend checking out the RazoRock German 37 slant. Shares the same head design as the 39C but is a 3 piece razor. You are not locked into a single handle style.

I recommend checking out the RazoRock German 37 slant. Shares the same head design as the 39C but is a 3 piece razor. You are not locked into a single handle style.
Just as I was going to suggest - as several others have - to get another 39C this comes in. I love my 37C but the idea of a three-piece is intriguing. Here I thought I was set and done. Thanks a lot for stirring my pot.
Edit: And I see the RazoRock is half the price. Doggone it.

Last edited:
I can tell when and how many times I've moved just by looking up the date codes on my group of super adjustable Gillettes. Some how everytime I moved my razors vanished, only to be found after purchasing another SA.

Graduate to a straight?

It is an idea I've toyed with for the last five years, but I never buy one. And I have put the notion fully behind me. I'm not going to buy different grits of honing stones and strops and all that. I just had to face reality. I respect those who DO use straights, but it isn't going to be me.

A good man knows his limitations.

The Gillette New is a solid recommendation.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'll keep you posted on what razor, but more than likely razors, I end up with. Good insight on straights being a thing unto themselves and not the next level in the art of manliness.

Top Bottom