What's new

I lost my Metropolitan, what should I get next?

It was my first and only fountain pen. What should I replace it with? I liked everything about it but I wouldnt mind a finer nib and I would like to keep the cost in the same ballpark as the metropolitan if possible. Suggestions?

If you really liked your metro, you could get another one and order a Pilot 78G off of flea bay for $10 or so, with a fine nib. I think the 78G has a gold color nib so you might want to get a gold metro, If you care about that kind of thing.

Thats a good thought that didnt occur to me. After a little research it looks like an alternative might be a Jinhao X750 with a GP fine nib for about the same cost, ~$25.

What did you like and dislike about the metro? maybe we can get you something you will really like in your price range.

If you really liked your metro, you could get another one and order a Pilot 78G off of flea bay for $10 or so, with a fine nib. I think the 78G has a gold color nib so you might want to get a gold metro, If you care about that kind of thing.

Wait--so you can switch out nibs on the Metro? That was my only complaint is that I wanted the Metro with a fine nib. how/what is best to use. 78g?

Thats tough to answer. Since the metropolitan was my first pen I dont really have anything to compare it to. I think I would like a finer nib, and I think I want to try a different pen so that I have something to compare which will lead me down the road of figuring out what I like. Its kind of like when I started experimenting with shaving brushes. I had to try a few before I figured out what I was looking for.

I know I dont want a Shaefer VFM because it cant take a converter. I am not exited about the look of the Lamy Safari. The Platinum Plaisir is an option at $30 once I add the converter.

Wait--so you can switch out nibs on the Metro? That was my only complaint is that I wanted the Metro with a fine nib. how/what is best to use. 78g?

Not only can you switch the NIB's, you can just swap the barrel and cap. The section, feed and nib all interchange. As I said though, I believe the 78G's have gold color NIB's compared to the Metro's silver, although I haven't been in the market for those and maybe something has changed with the colors.

Thats tough to answer. Since the metropolitan was my first pen I dont really have anything to compare it to. I think I would like a finer nib, and I think I want to try a different pen so that I have something to compare which will lead me down the road of figuring out what I like. Its kind of like when I started experimenting with shaving brushes. I had to try a few before I figured out what I was looking for.

I know I dont want a Shaefer VFM because it cant take a converter. I am not exited about the look of the Lamy Safari. The Platinum Plaisir is an option at $30 once I add the converter.

I don't know if you're into smaller pens or not, but you may want to look at a Kaweco Classic/ice sport. Fantastic NIB for the price (IMO) still in the $30 range and is probably the best starter pocket pen avalable. You can modify it to an Eyedropper or do the Nemo hack and convert it to a bulb filler. If it were me, I would do the Nemo hack and use some silicone grease just like I was eyedropping it. That way if it leaks somehow ( very unlikely ) it would get caught in the barrel.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Kaweco_Pens_s/1466.htm

Last edited:
+1 to a 78G or Jinhao or Plaisir or Kaweco.

78G's are steals off Ebay as stated above and the latter 3 pens can all be had at a reasonable price from the one and only Goulet Pens!

I'll throw one out there that seems to get little attention. Take a look at the Nemosine Singularity. I got mine off of xfountainpens, but I know they're on Amazon as we'll. No affiliation with either. I enjoyed mine immensely until it and the sidewalk made a regrettable meetup.

Not only can you switch the NIB's, you can just swap the barrel and cap. The section, feed and nib all interchange. As I said though, I believe the 78G's have gold color NIB's compared to the Metro's silver, although I haven't been in the market for those and maybe something has changed with the colors.

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but thanks for your comment, I never knew that one! :thumbsup:

I really like my Pilot Metro. I can vouch for the Metro having a golden nib and the 78g fine having a silvery nib. I did swap them - the 78g fine is finer than the Metro nib, although I liked the smoothness of the Metro nib enough to swap them back.

I'd vote for another Pilot Metro or the Jinhao/Goulet nib swap option. I have a Noodler's Konrad with a Goulet nib incoming.

I think my Pilot Metro is a substantially nicer pen than the Pilot 78g or my Ohto F-Spirit. Especially the blue leopard Metro.

Son of a cow . . . I checked with my loupe and I have the fine nib from the 78g on my Metro and the medium nib on the 78g body. I guess I swapped them one too many times! My mistake.

I do remember the medium nib being smoother until I dropped the Metro in the kitchen. :thumbdown

I couldnt decide so I ended up getting an X750 with a Knob nib and a Nemosine Singularity. They are both great pens and I would have trouble picking my favorite between the Metro, X750, and Nemosine. If you forced me to pick one I would probably go with the X750, I really like the Knox nib, but it is too heavy to post. My only complaint with the Nemosine is I prefer snap on caps to the Nemosine screw cap. Regardless, I think the X750, Nemosine, and Metro are all great options for a cheap or beginner pen, you really cont go wrong with either.

I have a Plaisir and I really like it - and with a fine nib it is definitely a finer line than the Metro which is medium only (at least in the US.)

A good way to tell if you will like the Plaisir is if you like the Platinum Preppy - it is the same pen with a metal body. Get a cheap Preppy and see how you like it.

Top Bottom