What's new

I like non-dense, floppy, low backbone, soft knots. Whose with me?

More and more I seem to enjoy less dense, floppier, low backbone knots. To me I enjoy the better flow thru, painting effect of higher loft/floppiness, and easy splay abilities. Had a maseto silvertip 26mm and loved how it felt, but ended up to big for me so sold it. Now I have a Paladin 26mm which is more of a two band. I love it, but find myself reaching for my synthetics more (PAA Starcraft or AP shaveco synbad) I’m starting to think I want to give silvertip another try. Anyone with these preferences have any recommendations on where to source a silvertip knot from? I already have the handle. Or maybe I’m just a rarity that doesn’t like characteristics of 95% of what people like nowadays.

I'm leaning towards that option as well. I thought 26mm SHD or 2-band badger would be the pinnacle. It's very nice still but I do enjoy an effort-less lather with a 24mm synthetic as well. The Starcraft has a bit more backbone that I'd like but still enjoyable. My motherlode knot is a definition of floppy no backbone knot. Great for daily shaves or with sensitive skin.

For softer knots, I like Golden Nib Silver Tip premium.

SHD knots have a lot more backbone than that. I have to mount them as high as I can to increase ease of splay enough to enjoy them.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I'm liking a brush that splays easy. Is that the same as floppy? I just ordered a heritage collection handle and will put a synthetic in it. Is the APShave synbad "floppy" ?

Same here -- big fan of the SynBad knot. Considering another brush with the AP ShaveCo cashmere knot. If only it came in 26mm, would asked to have it set a little higher even.

Really liking the synbad knot, need to increase the loft on the one I got tho. I’d say easily splaying isn’t the same as floppy. Floppy comes from setting loft height, and splaying has to do with the knots characteristics. Although increasing the loft does help with splay. I enjoy the first passes lather with my badger the best, but the synthetics work better for 2nd and 3rd pass as they release more lather and it covers better painting it on. With the badgers second pass lather, it’s thinned our and doesn’t give me adequate coverage, even if I squeeze some out of the knot to paint on. Would love to get a Simpson super if they sold knot only, for my preferences I find all their handles ugly. Any other knots to look at for silvertip other than the golden nib? Anyone try out elite razors high Manchurian white? How does that differ from silvertip a?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even the wrong ones.

On a serious note, it’s good people with your taste exist. I have found a small number of brushes that struck me as excellent quality and having a lot of very good traits, But floppy. It’s nice to know that there’s a reason those brushes exist.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Favorite synthetic brushes are:
@Graydog Full Moon and Silver Synth (not commercially available)
Omega EVO
Rudy Vey B&B 2019 Contributor's Brush w/Boss v1 knot
Mühle and EJ 25mm Silvertip Fibre
Shavemac Synthetic Fan
Simpsons Chubby 2, Trafalgar 2 and Duke 2 Synthetics, The Petrol Head IOM TT, Simfix SF1
Zenith S10 Synthetic
EverReady 100 w/24mm OUMO Knot
PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid and Solar Flare 24mm Nexus Synthetics

Honorable Mention:
Turn-N-Shave Chess (on ETSY - the best $10 brush out there - YMMV)
AP Shave Co. 2BED, Cashmere and Tuxedo
Yaqi Cashmere
Mr. Fine Angel
Craving Shaving Suave

The Zenith S10 has the most backbone of all but one of my synthetics (an EverReady 79 with a 24mm Blood Knot).

I wouldn't describe any of the rest as "floppy". The Cashmeres and the Angel are probably the softest. Just depends on which brush feel and lathers best for you.

YMMV :)

I'm liking a brush that splays easy. Is that the same as floppy? I just ordered a heritage collection handle and will put a synthetic in it. Is the APShave synbad "floppy" ?
To me, the Synbad is not floppy. It does have bend to it, but it's springy.

To me, "floppy" is more severe than "splays easily".

I think all floppy brushes will splay easily. But add just a little more backbone, and a knot may no longer be floppy, but may still be considered to "splay easily". I have some Finest badgers like that, though I have to mount then high to keep then easy to splay.

I have no problem with less dense, less backbone type of knots.

Whereas I tend to prefer the walls of fibers or badger, I think these knots can be great as well.
For instance, both I and both the youngsters here have a Muhle Kosmo silvertip fibers in citrine.
Beautiful brush. It is small-is, less dense and higher lofted.
But still a fabulous performer.

I also like boar knots that fit that description.
The B&B Omega boar brush (is that still available?) comes to mind.

And in the silver top badger department, the Muhle Retros are a class of their own.
'50's style, German brushes that are quite large, high lofted and not dense at all.
Will I use them as daily drivers - no way.
But I love using them once in a while.

Never looked into any of the Kent brushes, but upon a few mins of research, their handles just don’t do it for me

Top Bottom