What's new

I like Derby and Dorco, what other blades should I try?

My first shave with a Crystal convinced me the blade is too harsh for my skin. It quickly mowed down stubble in one pass but the second pass for touch ups was too much to get a great shave, so I ended up with some razor burn.

I am thinking maybe Shark blades?

I love Sharks, but I am a weirdo here, I love Merkur blades too, I think cuz they are so sharp,
they make a bad first impression on new shavers who receive them as their first blade with a new Merkur razor purchase, kind of like getting a Feather for your very first shave, not a great idea

I used Derby for a couple of years and have recently tried Feather and Personna Med Prep which I love. Super sharp and smooth shaves. Wish I tried them earlier. GSB in hand ready to try as well.

I tried Feathers years ago, they were decent but the first shave was so harsh I stopped using them.

I may revisit Merkur. You are right its many peoples first blade so that creates bad impressions from the start. I know it was one of my first blades. I've shaved with it since and I think its just a decent blade but not the mildest.

Derby and Dorco are among the least praised blades among shavers in my experience, so maybe try some other generally not-so-liked ones? :laugh: Like Sharks or Merkur as mentioned? Or Trig or Treet?

It seems you like milder, forgiving blades. I would suggest Shark Super Chrome, Voskhod, and Gillette Platinum. But frankly, given that you like them Dorco 301 is a bargain.

I have a thick beard but I get skin irritation super easy. I use derby because they shave fine and give little to no irritation. Astra blades tear me up in my kronos r1 but are my favorite in my edwin jagger. I tried not to like derby because of how little love they get buy honestly, if I went with the masses, I would be using a cartridge.

Derby and Dorco are among the least praised blades among shavers in my experience, so maybe try some other generally not-so-liked ones? :laugh: Like Sharks or Merkur as mentioned? Or Trig or Treet?

I think its because this is an internet forum, and like a lot of internet forums, its full of enthusiasts. And I've noticed shavers get into traditional shaving in the hope of getting a closer shave as their main goal. I just want a SAS or DFS with little irritation, that's the main thing I am looking for.

I like Derby blades (got a order from Connaught last year to stock up), perhaps try some Lord Platinum, Gillette 7-O'Clock Green. and Rapira?

I ordered some Sharks to try, both the Super Stainless and the Super Chrome. I think I will also get a few packs of Merkur blades to try.

Given that you like Derby's and Dorco's, you might want to try some the Durasharp Products, the Sharp Blade and the 7AM. They don't get a lot of respect, but they are very smooth and forgiving to my mug. The only problem with them is that they are somewhat pricey...being made in Bengladesh, you might expect they would be in about the same price range as blades made in India or Pakistan, but they are somewhat more expensive. Good smooth shave and good longevity, IMO, though.

My first shave with a Crystal convinced me the blade is too harsh for my skin.. so I ended up with some razor burn.

QUOTE]

OK most of the time Razor burn is due to too much pressure or going over an area too many times. Just so you will know. Ease up on that razor a whole lot and I bet that blade will work wonderfully for you.:thumbup1:

I have tried Derby, Shark, Merkur, Feather, and Astra as part of early-hobby sampling. I figured Derby is a well-known middle-of-the-road blade so I have used it more than the others. I find they all give me comparable shaves, with the greatest change coming from rotating to a more aggressive razor, the Mühle R41. For me, Derby did about the same job, and gave me the same grade of cuts, as a famously sharp Feather.
I figure if nothing else, the Astra and Shark packaging add some visual variety to the view of the shave den. Considering you can get 50 good blades for little more than the cost of two mass-market cartridges, you can get a hobbyist's abundant collection on the cheap.

Top Bottom