What's new

I learned something today

I have been thinking about adjustable s and how you cant tell the gaps and exposures and you are essentially shaving by numbers, 1-5 or 1-9. I have found that my 3 pieces give great shaves but could be better if I could change their gaps and exposures, crazy right? A loose spinning dial can move(and does) and there is no telling where its at until you shave with it(see, Im learning). I know you can look at it and see some differences but just straight out knowing what you are getting in to is assuring.

So as a newbie the most important thing I learned, that I could have been told before, is that blade gap and exposure matched to your face and skin type will make all the difference. So instead of saying I like a 3 or a 5 you can know that almost any blade will give you a good shave in a razor/shaver with a negative blade exposure. Even the sharpest of blades can be tamed in the right setting.

I have been thinking about adjustables and how you can't tell the gaps and exposures and you are essentially shaving by numbers, 1-5 or 1-9. I have found that my 3 pieces give great shaves but could be better if I could change their gaps and exposures, crazy right? A loose spinning dial can move (and does) and there is no telling where its at until you shave with it (see, I'm learning). I know you can look at it and see some differences but just straight out knowing what you are getting in to is assuring.

So as a newbie the most important thing I learned, that I could have been told before, is that blade gap and exposure matched to your face and skin type will make all the difference. So instead of saying I like a 3 or a 5 you can know that almost any blade will give you a good shave in a razor/shaver with a negative blade exposure. Even the sharpest of blades can be tamed in the right setting.
I use an adjustable, three-piece razor, the Rockwell 6s and the blade-gap for each base-plate is known. If I choose the R4 plate on my 6s, for instance, I know the blade gap is .61mm. If choose the R6 plate instead I know the blade gap is .79mm and so forth. I have always assumed blade gaps for all adjustable razors is a known quantity.

I use an adjustable, three-piece razor, the Rockwell 6s and the blade-gap for each base-plate is known. If I choose the R4 plate on my 6s, for instance, I know the blade gap is .61mm. If choose the R6 plate instead I know the blade gap is .79mm and so forth. I have always assumed blade gaps for all adjustable razors is a known quantity.

take it you have never bought a cheep razor from china most of them work on the " its close " idea of gap sizing .

I have an adjustable that doesn’t lock in each setting, and in the three months I’ve been using it I’ve never had it move while shaving. And I agree, with a very sharp blade I want the setting be less aggressive, less chance of nicking myself. If I always wanted an open aggressive shave I wouldn’t have an adjustable. If I had really good technique maybe I’d switch to a straight razor. As I said on another thread, I like the flexibility. I usually change settings with each pass, and it’s not always the same sequence depending on blade and stubble conditions.

To me, blade gap makes very little difference. It's blade exposure that decides how aggressive a razor feels to me. Take the Merkur Futur as an example. I usually use it set around 2.5. The blade gap is huge but the razor feels pretty mild, as long as you don't use any pressure. It's also still very effective even though the blade exposure is probably close to zero or even negative. One thing about that razor I really notice is just about any blade I throw in it works pretty well. Unfortunately most razors made these days tend to only have low blade exposure paired with small gaps. If you go with a larger gap, you're going to get more exposure. No reason it has to be this way but it's the way almost everyone makes razors.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Randy210!
Gosh, you've immediately jumped down one of the deepest wet shaving rabbit holes!
Enjoy the journey!!

merkur-vision-proraso-blue-dovo-skye-gif-september-12-2014s.gif

I have been thinking about adjustable s and how you cant tell the gaps and exposures and you are essentially shaving by numbers, 1-5 or 1-9. I have found that my 3 pieces give great shaves but could be better if I could change their gaps and exposures, crazy right? A loose spinning dial can move(and does) and there is no telling where its at until you shave with it(see, Im learning). I know you can look at it and see some differences but just straight out knowing what you are getting in to is assuring.

Brother Randy, I think you're overanalyzing something when there is nothing to analyze. The setting of every model of adjustable razor is unique and unrelated to other adjustable razors. On a Fat Boy a setting of 5 is perfect for me. On a Futur a setting of 1.5 is perfect. And so forth. The dial on an adjustable razor shouldn't move unless you move it (or unless there's something physically wrong with the razor).

I would not bother to standardize adjustables.
I have several different ones from different brands and they all shave different. All have different geometry of the heads which makes it like comparing a green and a red apple. More or less looks the same but is different in taste and mouthfeel.

Some of continuous adjustables have blade chatter and this is where a 3 piece (with different base plates) can make a better razor.

I would definitely disagree on the you can use any blade because you can adjust. Though I run some blades slightly more open than others. Problem is Some razors can be real dramaqueens regarding the blade they like or dislike. And make that pretty nasty clear to you.
Other razors are I shave with anything and usually a best with one or a couple of blades. But adjusting does not help to lift the rest of the usable pack to greatness!

so add a nice blade pack to your arsenal to be surprised what works better in YOUR razor on YOUR skin.
try a shim (blade without edges) under your blade to increase blade gap.
Maybe upgrade to adjustable plate version or a nice continuously one.

Top Bottom