What's new

I laugh at your puny pizza

$image.jpg

So I'm working in Italy at the moment, and they just broke a world record

That's a big pizza, was it any good? I'd hate to be the guy that has to deliver that in 30 minutes or less.

Ah it was as good as you'd expect a 1500m pizza to be! The point was the scale rather than quality I think, but it certainly wasn't bad!

I am yet to have a bad pizza in Italy. Most have gone by the motto "less is more" and have been fantastic.

Thanks for the pic, Dave. How many pieces did you eat?

They had 5 big rolling ovens and worked their way along it. Sadly I only managed to get the one slice as there were hundreds of people there and I had to get back to work. I've got a snap of the ingredients list that I'll post when I get a chance. Y'know.. Just in case anyone wants to make one!

I've had some good pizza and some absolutely great pizza over here, but after 2.5 months out here this year so far I am getting a bit sick of it!

I am yet to have a bad pizza in Italy. Most have gone by the motto "less is more" and have been fantastic.

Thanks for the pic, Dave. How many pieces did you eat?
Best pizza I ever had was in Venice, Italy ... there was a little trattoria there that specialized in pizza, it was the pizza equivalent of "IHoP."

They had two dishes I remember. One was called "Il Mundo" meaning "The World" and it had EVERYTHING on it. Every topping you can possibly imagine, and generous servings, too. There wasn't a single square inch of crust visible except around the edge. The toppings were spread out about 3 layers deep.

The other one was called "Vesuvio" and it was modeled like a volcano. You had a large pie with the toppings spread all over, and in the middle it was piled up into a mound with a crater in the middle. In the crater, was a soft-boiled egg to look like lava.

You wanna talk about good eats? It wasn't just quantity, it was quality, too. Picture 3 hungry American sailors on shore leave after a night of carousing and drinking and doing what sailors do ... we couldn't finish both of these pies.

For me, Neapolitan pizza is #1 (very few, very fresh ingredients). They even have a certification.

If you want to taste authentic Neapolitan pizza you can find those that are certified by an association.

My grandmother and mother cooked in the Neapolitan style and made pizza at home. I loved it as a kid. And then when I was older we all went on a trip to Italy. One of the places we visited was Naples and I had pizza for lunch one day. I could not believe how good it was. I ended up having pizza every day with a glass of local red wine. Heaven!

That's quite a gastronomic accomplishment!

As we're leaving the Chicago area for the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex in a few weeks, one of the big things we'll be missing is Chicago-style Pizza. I've had several trips to Irving over the last few years. I like i Fratelli and some others I've been to, I've not found the like of Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, or even Ollie's Pizza (my first Chicago Style when we lived in Ft Wayne, IN).

Top Bottom