What's new

I know it's a New but which one?

Its been a little while since I have been able to post. I got picked up for recruiter duty for the Air Force so I've been a little preoccupied with going to recruiter school and moving to South Carolina.

Anyway, to the point, my family and i went antique shopping today and I couldn't help but find something shaving related! A ton of techs and kronas, a fat boy that was marked 120 for a user grade, a few brushes.....ect.... Then BAM! There it was! Saw this little gem for 30 bucks. It was in TERRIBLE shape so I talked the guy down to 20. Well I knew it was a new improved because I've been looking for one for a while but after getting it home, it doesn't look like the ones I have seen. It has a flat base plate not the little bullets.

I proceeded to try to find out exactly what it was and when it was made but I haven't had any luck. It has some engraving on it close to the screw on the bottom, it says "PAT JAN 13 1920 U.S.A" and "OTHER PATENTS PENDING" underneath that. I'm petty sure the NEW IMPROVED didn't come out till the 30s so it really has me stumped.

Either way, after I cleaned it and polished up the bare brass, it looks like a million bucks. I can't wait to give it a whirl tomorrow morning. Sorry for the long post but maybe some of the awesome vintage guys here can help me out.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you are to keep it I would highly suggest you replate it.
Enjoy!
I have thought about replating before but I've always talked myself out of it because I couldn't justify putting THAT much money into a razor. What I mean is I don't mind spending money on razors, I have an ASD2. I just don't think I've ever had a vintage that WARRANTS that kind of cash. Is this razor "rare" enough, in your opinion, to go ahead and bite the bullet?

It was VERY dirty when I got it. I cleaned it really well and used a light metal polish. Do you think that's the gold plate? If so it's in really good shape!
proxy.php

I have thought about replating before but I've always talked myself out of it because I couldn't justify putting THAT much money into a razor. What I mean is I don't mind spending money on razors, I have an ASD2. I just don't think I've ever had a vintage that WARRANTS that kind of cash. Is this razor "rare" enough, in your opinion, to go ahead and bite the bullet?

Only you can answer if it is worth it.
I wouldn't call it rare (heck I own one) but they are desirable.

I would shave with it and let your face and heart tell you what to do.

I love open combs so I'm sure it'll stick around. The only open comb I haven't got along with was the fatip piccolo. I guess my face, heart, and WIFE will be the deciding factor!

It could just be the lighting in your photos. Brass will be more of a copper color than gold. Here is my new that is polished brass with a plated bottom plate. Note the difference in color. The brass will discolor and stain pretty quickly if the plating is gone.
20170805_212438.jpg
20170805_212534.jpg

Last edited:
It could just be the lighting in your photos. Brass will be more of a copper color than gold. Here is my new that is polished brass with a plated bottom plate. Note the difference in color. The brass will divot pretty quickly if the plating is gone.View attachment 810431 View attachment 810432
I can't see your pics for some reason. I know it's not a copper color at all. The pics are pretty true to color. Here is the bottom screw. It definitely looks like the hidden part is a different color. If that's the case, it's seriously the best plating I've seen so far.
proxy.php

Yep the top part of the handle is where the plating has worn off and the bottom part still looks gold. Don't scrub on it too hard or you will clean the plating off.

Its already got all the cleaning I'm going to do to it. I used scrubbing bubbles, a soft tooth brush and a VERY light metal polish. I had no idea! I'll definitely be a little more cautious now! Thanks for the insight.

Its already got all the cleaning I'm going to do to it. I used scrubbing bubbles, a soft tooth brush and a VERY light metal polish. I had no idea! I'll definitely be a little more cautious now! Thanks for the insight.

You got a great buy. I've been looking for a new deluxe but they are hard to find.

Top Bottom