What's new

I know it's a New but which one?

That batch was from late 1929 through 1930. Serial # on top of baseplate, no patent #. So around 87 years old.

You wouldn't gunkote your grandfather, would you? You might have him gold plated though. Much classier option.
Agreed. My grandfather would roll over in his grave if he knew the things we do to razors these days. I got most of my vintage collection from him and he would slap me in the face of I told him I was thinking about gun coating a razor. That, and he would give me an hour long lecture about how kids these days waste too much money!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Then why does the picture he posted show the worn part red?

I'm not seeing any red on his razor, or mine, and I have several bare brass razors. Well, I have two naked pre-war Techs with red brass heads and red brass in the handles. I've also done quite a bit of work with brass, red brass, and copper, and I know the difference.

I'm not seeing any red on his razor, or mine, and I have several bare brass razors. Well, I have two naked pre-war Techs with red brass heads and red brass in the handles. I've also done quite a bit of work with brass, red brass, and copper, and I know the difference.
The second picture he posted of just the end piece.

The second picture he posted of just the end piece.

The pic in Post 17? That looks like reflection to me. I have that razor in naked brass (not as shiny as the OP's), and his looks like brass to me. Mine is on the left in this pic - the handle has a copper-colored brass tube, but the blade guard and cap are yellow brass:
upload_2017-8-6_7-0-54.jpeg

R

romsitsa

Almost all Gillette inner tubes show a reddish color on top and bottom (above the knob) under the plating while the rest of the tube is "yellow". Also these spots are prone to loose plating for some reason.

Adam

First shave with the New Deluxe. Initial impressions: very efficient but smooth at the same time. 2 passes with a clean up and I was as smooth as I wanted to be. I quit chasing bbs a long time ago because I have to shave everyday. Anyway, I'm only one shave in with this razor but it hasn't given me any reason to get rid of it yet. No irritation, no blood, comfortable shave. I guess time will tell if it's going to be a favorite.

I will say that it's as efficient as my razorock jaws but MUCH more comfortable. I could feel the blade but it wasn't anything near the aggression of lets say a fatip.

All in all, first impressions are positive.!
proxy.php

First shave with the New Deluxe. Initial impressions: very efficient but smooth at the same time. 2 passes with a clean up and I was as smooth as I wanted to be. I quit chasing bbs a long time ago because I have to shave everyday. Anyway, I'm only one shave in with this razor but it hasn't given me any reason to get rid of it yet. No irritation, no blood, comfortable shave. I guess time will tell if it's going to be a favorite.

I will say that it's as efficient as my razorock jaws but MUCH more comfortable. I could feel the blade but it wasn't anything near the aggression of lets say a fatip.

All in all, first impressions are positive.!
proxy.php

0Dmxv.gif

From that picture, it's almost definitely still gold plated. @TobyC has a point about the handle wear, so it might have been buffed out and replated.

Here's one of mine that still has it's original gold - looks a lot like your pic.
proxy.php
That does look an awful lot like mine. I wish I would have taken pics before I polished it. It was in pretty bad shape. I guess the best way to find out is if it starts to tarnish in a few days. I will definitely post pics of the progress as it gets used over the next few weeks.

The Deluxe didn't have as much blade exposure as the Fatip I had, but the Fatip had a more rigid blade edge. If the blade isn't held like a vise(rigid), I wouldn't "chase" BBS either.

The Deluxe didn't have as much blade exposure as the Fatip I had, but the Fatip had a more rigid blade edge. If the blade isn't held like a vise(rigid), I wouldn't "chase" BBS either.
I got rid of my piccolo a while back so I can't compare the blade exposure but I do remember out of all the open combs I've tried (old type, merkur 1904, razorock jaws, piccolo, Parker, and now deluxe) the piccolo was the most aggressive and commanded my utmost attention. I really wanted to like that razor but in the end, it just wasn't for me. Now that you mention it, looking at the ones I've tried, I guess none of them really clamp down on the blade like the fatip. Huh, I think I just had an epiphany!

Did you ever find out whether the razor was brass or if it still had plating left?
well after day 3 shaving with it, it hasn't tarnished any. I compared it to a naked tech I have and it definitely looks like a different finish. I guess I shouldn't have done such a good job polishing it! I'm going to give it a few more days but I'm pretty sure it still has plating.

This is a week after I polished up the deluxe. I haven't noticed any tarnish or patina setting up so I'm thinking of it isn't the original plating, it must be replated because of the wear on the handle. What do you guys think? BTW I'm getting amazing shaves out of this thing! Still trying out blades but so far so good.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom