What's new

I killed my RAD with one shave...

Happy New Year to everyone!

When it comes to DE razors 2019 was a year full of trial and error. I tried a lot of different stuff (bought and sold more than 20 razors and I was lucky enough not to burn to much money, however please don't ask me how many I kept) - but I did not find the "ONE" for me.

Then, by chance, I found a mint razor on ebay (actually NOS as it appeared) in October 2019.
I had read a lot of stuff regarding this razor in the B&B forum and other shaving forums as well and I was both eager and hesitant to try it out - but I did, finally. And the result of the first shave was plain and simple:
A-MA-ZING!

Holy cow! I was so astonished, it did not see this coming. My wife even asked why I was so amazed, when I walked out of the bathroom with such a bright smile in my face... I just let her touch my face - no follow up question arised.

Meanwhile I have used it for roughly 20 shaves - and the results turned out to be consistantly repeatable.
Therefore: my search is over. I found "my ONE".

Now you are wondering...? I am talking about this little beauty...

beauty.jpeg

Yep. A rose-gold standard Muehle R41 (2013). Just a plain R41.
So now my search is over. This awareness really feels good.

For sure, once I have finished my sabbatical period I might again look for some razors just for the sake to try them. There are still some nice vintage razors and modern ones out there which I would like to try, don´t get me wrong.
But I am very sure my approach will be very different - because I feel I have found my grail. No more hunting.

Finally: as always: YMMV - but I do hope (for you) that you can share the experience with me.
Everyone should at least give this razor a concious try, just saying.
The R41 will never ever leave my den!

All the best for you in 2020!

Last edited:
I found the R41 late in 2019 as well. I was very curious and eager to try it once I had it in hand, yet still somewhat hesitant due to the preceding reputation. After just one shave, I immediately bumped it to the top of my list. This baby provided zero bloodshed, not even a weeper, and was so close and efficient I get by with a 1.5 pass shave every time regardless of blade thus far. Truly an excellent piece of hardware. Congrats.

I found the R41 late in 2019 as well. I was very curious and eager to try it once I had it in hand, yet still somewhat hesitant due to the preceding reputation. After just one shave, I immediately bumped it to the top of my list. This baby provided zero bloodshed, not even a weeper, and was so close and efficient I get by with a 1.5 pass shave every time regardless of blade thus far. Truly an excellent piece of hardware. Congrats.
:thumbup:
I can fully second this. I did not experience any issues with nicks/cuts at all. No bloodbath. No scalping of my face. Absolutely nothing. I assume a bit of patience and a decent shaving technique is quite helpful, but one benefits a lot to shave with this razor using a steep angle.

The only thing I have done that enhanced the shave with the R41 has been swapping out the handle. I bought a stainless handle from RazoRock and swapped it out. I did this for two reasons. The first being that I have a Rockwell style razor holder that fits tight enough I didn’t want to scratch the chrome handle taking it in and out. The second reason is that I really liked how well it performed with the extra weight and added grip with the new handles knurling.

I am glad the Rosegold R41 works so well for you. It is nice to find a keeper.

I have one of the R41 with the Grande handle. I love the efficiency of the razor when shaving my coarse beard. However, the blade feel on my sensitive skin is greater than I would like. I can avoid nicks, cuts, and weepers, but I have to be really careful with shave angle and pressure to avoid irritation. Thus, for me, shaving with the R41 is not as carefree as I would like, so it will never be my preferred razor.

I am glad the Rosegold R41 works so well for you. It is nice to find a keeper.

I have one of the R41 with the Grande handle. I love the efficiency of the razor when shaving my coarse beard. However, the blade feel on my sensitive skin is greater than I would like. I can avoid nicks, cuts, and weepers, but I have to be really careful with shave angle and pressure to avoid irritation. Thus, for me, shaving with the R41 is not as carefree as I would like, so it will never be my preferred razor.

Funny. I have a very sensitive skin on my neck. Whenever I use an other razor than the R41 my skin shows some redness/irritation. Only with the R41 my skin remains calm.

Besides, what is your preferred razor?

Rose gold, normal, Grande, 103 (tortoise).....I have these and like em ALL

Kind of R41-RAD... I quite understand this.

I have a R41 Twist sheduled to be delivered soon. I like the handling of my R89 Twist so it was a no-brainer for me to buy a Twist instead of a Grande.

I love my R41 Twist, and I’m a bit sad on days I decide to use my Rocca R96 or RR SLOC, instead. I wish I could shave twice each day!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Congratulations on finding and liking one of the iconic razors of the DE world.

R41.2.Chrome.RoseGold.640.7-18.JPG

I like the rose gold better purely for looks.

The R41 handle is often maligned but I have no idea why. It's one of my favorite handles. I found extras for some other razors.

Steep is right for me with this one.

Happy New Year,

Jim

Kind of R41-RAD... I quite understand this.

I have a R41 Twist sheduled to be delivered soon. I like the handling of my R89 Twist so it was a no-brainer for me to buy a Twist instead of a Grande.
Great.....now I NEED the twist.....:ouch1:

Love that Rose Gold Handle!
I spent last year accumulating more vintage razors to find THE One. The plan was to sell the ones that I didn't like. Unfortunately, as the original owner of a Gillette Knack, I found that it gave me enough of a foundation of experience to be able to quickly adapt to about any razor I picked up. Consequently they all give a great shave, and only a couple have actually been sold.

Of all the Techs and other old Gillettes, the hands down best shave is with any of my Old Types. Smooth and efficient.

Nevertheless it looks like the R41 may be on my pick-up list for sometime this year!

Congratulations on finding and liking one of the iconic razors of the DE world.

The R41 handle is often maligned but I have no idea why. It's one of my favorite handles. I found extras for some other razors.

Steep is right for me with this one.

Happy New Year,

Jim
Thanks Jim!

Those who seek a heavier handle might simply choose a Grande/Twist. I do not find the "default" handle to be too small or slippery... for sure there are handles that provide more grip but I can't complain.

i had the same feeling when i used my game changer .84 yesterday. i think it was my best shave in months. congrats on finding the one!!!!!!

I love my R41 Twist, and I’m a bit sad on days I decide to use my Rocca R96 or RR SLOC, instead. I wish I could shave twice each day!

Indeed. It is quite hard to go back to very good razors once you looked into the light... 😉

Top Bottom