What's new

I Just Ordered A Timeless Titanium Razor!!! Crown Handle! .095 Blade!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
OK, I have an update for everyone! I know I tend to be stubborn, I like to often do things my way. And because my trust in the community is shaken, I absolutely will not be giving my address out to anyone, which means nobody can BST to me. I know sad, but thats just the way it is.

Plus, I've also changed a lot since I was a kid. When I was a kid, I always wanted free stuff. I used to have a saying, "If it's free, it's for me." Part of that was because, I had no money when I was a kid, not unless I mowed a lawn for a neighbor that is lol. These days, I just feel uncomfortable with the idea of people wanting to give me free stuff.

And additionally, I don't really want to do the whole blade exchange thing, so thats out. Call it stubborn if you want, but thats just the way it is. I make my own way, I pay for my own stuff, and the only debt I owe, is to the credit company for my razor purchase lol!

Suit yourself.

What you wrote makes me feel sad on your behalf.

In my view, one of the best things about this community is its strong Pay It Forward culture.

My very favorite books on the subject are Doctor Hudson's Secret Journal and The Magnificent Obsession. The first is a prequel to the second, but they can be read in either order. I'm not saying anyone should read them, but only that they were meaningful to me. I'm thankful to the author for writing them.

Our PIF culture is integral to this community. I'm sorry you've developed a shaken trust in the community. My experience here has been quite the opposite; not perfect, but quite the opposite.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Anyone can lurk, and that is perfectly fine. Participation is voluntary, but posting in a community implies dialogue, conversation, and exchange of ideas. Yes, that makes one vulnerable to offenses and annoyances. Sometimes it also tells us something we need to hear.

efccc895b63dac99e284f7c165b6cb6d.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Suit yourself.

In my view, one of the best things about this community is its strong Pay It Forward culture.

My very favorite books on the subject are Doctor Hudson's Secret Journal and The Magnificent Obsession. The first is a prequel to the second, but they can be read in either order. I'm not saying anyone should read them, but only that they were meaningful to me. I'm thankful to the author for writing them.

Our PIF culture is integral to this community. I'm sorry you've developed a shaken trust in the community. My experience here has been quite the opposite; not perfect, but quite the opposite.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I ordered both book.... one for my Kindle (Magnificent Obsession) and Secret Journal one in hardback.. used.

Though you said they can be read in either order... which would you prefer to read first?

but to give an opportunity for people to try what works for me to see if it would work for them. They are blades not generally included in most trial packs.
Thank you again @ewk for the blades, especially the Wizamets. I only get the blades here in my country last month, despite you send the blades for Christmas. I’m saving the Wizamets for special occasions ;)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Suit yourself.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'm with Jim here, as I think you have a lot to offer to the B&B community @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker .

Within the first few weeks of signing up I got a PIF from a complete stranger living in Singapore, quite surprised was I, and comforted that I had discovered such a gentlemanly community. We are here for you, and love to hear your stories and drool over your fantastic pictures.

In fact, I think now is a good time for you to peruse the SOTD section, maybe post some pics there!:cornut:

~doug~

Thank you again @ewk for the blades, especially the Wizamets. I only get the blades here in my country last month, despite you send the blades for Christmas. I’m saving the Wizamets for special occasions ;)
Wow! I had no idea that would take so long! I am glad you finally got them. No need to save the Wiz blades. They are, after all, just blades :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I ordered both book.... one for my Kindle (Magnificent Obsession) and Secret Journal one in hardback.. used.

Though you said they can be read in either order... which would you prefer to read first?

Interesting question and hard to answer, Kim.

A really good little book I read and recommend advised me as I recall to read Doctor Hudson first which is what I did.

Magnificent Obsession is, according to most people including me, a better book. It's better written. It's a better story. It doesn't require you to have first read the prequel.

Actually, even though it is a prequel, Doctor Hudson was written later. The good doctor's secret journal took some deciphering. The mysteries of that process were interesting to me but might not be to you.

If you consider it as a two chapter book, Magnificent Obsession, the second chapter, is like a good novel whose protagonist masterfully applies the secret to great advantage. The first chapter, the Journal, explains the secret, its origin, its discovery, and its ins and outs.

As independent books I enjoyed both, but I went into it planning to read both starting with the Secret Journal.

Magnificent Obsession was published ninety years ago, in 1929. To me, it is not dated in its writing style or content. The author was hugely successful as a writer, very popular in his day, having had books turned into picture shows and such.

This is ridiculous but I'd say the ideal reading order would be Magnificent Obsession, Secret Journal, and then Magnificent Obsession again.

That doesn't exactly answer your question, but it's the best I can do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For me, personally, B&B has saved me a lot of time and money. If I'm interested in any aspect of wet shaving, I can use the search feature.. or just look through the various old threads and gather info before I make a purchase. I used it extensively for adding some brushes to my little collection of synth brushes. I knew next to nothing about natural bristle brushes but was able to figure out what to buy and where to get them. The value is the experience of others.... of course, there is no guarantee I will like something as much as the next person.... but if ten people say this is their favorite brush.. and they have similar tastes as me, it's likely I'll end up with the same experience.... esp with brushes.

Soaps too.... though my skin is more sensitive than I thought. One soap others just love is a disaster for me but the descriptions of the scent were spot on. So.. one mistake among dozens... a pretty good average. I did learn.... ask RayChem before I order any more soaps that might effect my skin. He knows more than I'll ever know.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Interesting question and hard to answer, Kim.

A really good little book I read and recommend advised me as I recall to read Doctor Hudson first which is what I did.

Magnificent Obsession is, according to most people including me, a better book. It's better written. It's a better story. It doesn't require you to have first read the prequel.

Actually, even though it is a prequel, Doctor Hudson was written later. The good doctor's secret journal took some deciphering. The mysteries of that process were interesting to me but might not be to you.

If you consider it as a two chapter book, Magnificent Obsession, the second chapter, is like a good novel whose protagonist masterfully applies the secret to great advantage. The first chapter, the Journal, explains the secret, its origin, its discovery, and its ins and outs.

As independent books I enjoyed both, but I went into it planning to read both starting with the Secret Journal.

Magnificent Obsession was published ninety years ago, in 1929. To me, it is not dated in its writing style or content. The author was hugely successful as a writer, very popular in his day, having had books turned into picture shows and such.

This is ridiculous but I'd say the ideal reading order would be Magnificent Obsession, Secret Journal, and then Magnificent Obsession again.

That doesn't exactly answer your question, but it's the best I can do.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Perfect answer. The Journal will show up later since the Kindle Magnificent Obsession was instant. I'll wait until it gets here and read it first, though I might do the other option.. read MO, the journal and repeat the MO.

Either way, thanks for the book suggestions. I'm slogging my way through "The Dawn of Everything"... and it's around 1000 pages of semi-difficult reading. I need breaks now and then.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hey, it's good you reported it for other members so we could figure this out. A potentially big issue. I think govt realised it was a bad move, business wise.

Things are very fluid here at the moment, as we 're-position' ourselves on the world stage. Imports, exports, trade agreements, etc.

Interesting times. :letterk1:
OK... I got email replies from both ESC and Connaught.. and I'm only partially insane... both can ship razor blades to the States... however, this is the reply I got from Peter at Connaught:

Hello,
Yes we can ship all types of blades to the US. The only items we cannot ship to the US are all Feather products including blades and any Aftershaves or Colognes.

Best Regards

Peter Mayhew
Connaughtshaving.com

I had tried to add some Feather ProGuard AC Blades to an order.... mystery solved...

Again, I apologize for putting incorrect information out there.

Thanks, Alum Ladd, for getting the correction on the record.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sometimes I envision myself probably selling a lot of gear sometime if that's vague and inconclusive enough.

The more items click for me the way the Polsilver/Wizamet SI blades and the SV-HMW brush have the more likely it becomes.

Happy shaves,

Jim
At this point, I only have one soap to PIF.... and after I get all the boars broken in, perhaps I'll like some better than others. But I've only been at this for a short time. I seem to be ok at the moment with what I have... though the General V2 SE AC head just popped up on BST. I think I should be able to resist... I can't see it adding anything over the Claymore Evo, but I've never seen one for sale since I've been wet shaving.

Ignorance is bliss?

It is certainly interesting how some people perceive generosity suspiciously. As if it implies that there are strings attached.
The blade exchange idea is fantastic and I can’t see any reason at all to announce your refusal to take advantage of it. Especially as you‘re merely swapping blades for the cost of 2 stamps!!!! How can you possibly lose?
Traditional wet shaving is for many of us a form of therapy, as is participation in forums. Unfortunately, there are some people who, for whatever reason are afraid of feeling that they will “owe” something if they are the recipient of generosity and will inevitably separate themselves even further from society.
Also, a divergence of opinion from one’s own should never be perceived as a personal attack.
I enjoy reading about the experiences and opinions of others. They can confirm my own thoughts or provide a great reason for me to re-examine what I previously thought. Imagine if everyone refused to accept advice, help and generosity! Finding one‘s own way is best done with the help of others. 🙂

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It is certainly interesting how some people perceive generosity suspiciously. As if it implies that there are strings attached. The blade exchange idea is fantastic and I can’t see any reason at all to announce your refusal to take advantage of it. Especially as you‘re merely swapping blades for the cost of 2 stamps!!!! How can you possibly lose?

You can't participate without a mailing address.

For the truly paranoid here's a little story. A couple or so years ago I took a picture which showed part of the back porch of a beach house. Within minutes a member asked me if it was a beach house named Skip's Place. It was exactly the house he'd clearly identified so I asked him if he was Skip who owned the house I was renting for the week. He told me he'd identified the place with a quick Google search or something like that.

That's why I have fourteen levels of anonymous mail forwarding services between me and the BST. Nobody's going to find me if I can help it. I'm staying right here in my bunker.

Traditional wet shaving is for many of us a form of therapy, as is participation in forums. Unfortunately, there are some people who, for whatever reason are afraid of feeling that they will “owe” something if they are the recipient of generosity and will inevitably separate themselves even further from society.
Also, a divergence of opinion from one’s own should never be perceived as a personal attack.
I enjoy reading about the experiences and opinions of others. They can confirm my own thoughts or provide a great reason for me to re-examine what I previously thought. Imagine if everyone refused to accept advice, help and generosity! Finding one‘s own way is best done with the help of others. 🙂

Beautifully done.

There are many lessons to be learned. Most of us wish we'd learned them earlier.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've posted this before but possibly is bears repeating. I was just about to open a pack of sugar at a Chinese restaurant years ago and it had one of those sayings printed on the back. I've never forgotten it: We need to learn from the mistakes of others because we'll never live long enough to make them all ourselves.

Life is more enjoyable when it's a group effort. Self reliance is a good thing as well. I grew up in Montana and Wyoming.... pioneers who went out West had to learn to be self reliant..... but at the same time, developed a culture that included helping each other in times of need.

I'm sitting here trying to think of the right word... perhaps "balance" is it.

Wow! I had no idea that would take so long! I am glad you finally got them. No need to save the Wiz blades. They are, after all, just blades :)
I have to ship out the blades from the US to my country. I’m trying new blades and your blade samples helps me a lot. There are only 2-3 brands available here (Lord, Derby and the Brazilian Wilkerson). I’m trying the less sharper first, when I got the ones I like will be more easy to order the 100 bundles. It’s a pain to import goods and imagine order a lot of blades you don’t like :). I’ll try the Feather, Kai and Wizamets later. Thanks again for the blades. I’m still searching “the one” blade brand ;)

OK... I got email replies from both ESC and Connaught.. and I'm only partially insane... both can ship razor blades to the States... however, this is the reply I got from Peter at Connaught:

Hello,
Yes we can ship all types of blades to the US. The only items we cannot ship to the US are all Feather products including blades and any Aftershaves or Colognes.

Best Regards

Peter Mayhew
Connaughtshaving.com

I had tried to add some Feather ProGuard AC Blades to an order.... mystery solved...

Again, I apologize for putting incorrect information out there.

Thanks, Alum Ladd, for getting the correction on the record.
These types of exclusions may be related to distribution rights in the US. Feather may issue distribution rights in different regions/countries. This is a big MAY BE, on my part.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
These types of exclusions may be related to distribution rights in the US. Feather may issue distribution rights in different regions/countries. This is a big MAY BE, on my part.
Btw, AF, I haven't used those Ethos and other samples you sent me yet. I had a pretty horrible face burn from a otherwise brilliant soap I recently purchased so I've been sticking with the Canada Shaving Soap of late because it's unscented and I'm not having any reactions from it. I think my skin has healed sufficiently but I was at my rheumatologist the other day and she said my break outs don't look like psoriasis to her and suggested I get an appointment with the dermatologist that originally diagnosed my psoriatic arthritis and ask them.

I'm planning to call them next week to see how soon I can get it. It's pretty annoying... my forehead breaks out into red bumps every time I shower... less with my current bar shampoo but still there. Sometimes, these same red bumps show up on my face as well, but even more so if I use a shaving soap that doesn't agree with it.

Anyway, I should get around to trying them soon. The lightest smelling scents first. If it's a strong scent, I'll probably just pass. So, thanks again for thinking of me. I know that is part of the tradition here but you surprised me.. in a good way. Thanks.

The blade exchange idea is fantastic and I can’t see any reason at all to announce your refusal to take advantage of it. Especially as you‘re merely swapping blades for the cost of 2 stamps!!!! How can you possibly lose?
When I join B&B I got blades samples from other members. It’s very expensive and annoying dealing with my local customs. Without the samples, I would have to get a lot of blades I don’t like. @Michael W send a couple of full tucks of brands (brands I never heard of and I will never have the pleasure to try), @ewk send a top tier selection of blades and @Paulford send me one blade of all brands in existence of the galaxy :) . So much kindness.

From the vendors, @Blackland Razors help with some doubts when I buy my favorite razor. During Black Friday, Shane answers my all questions AFTER I had bought the razor. He is a true gentleman. And @Captain Pre-Capsize has a stellar customer service. When I had a trouble with a store, he stepped up and solve the problem instantly. Also he select himself the replacement item and he help me to choose a bowl I will give to my brother as a birthday gift.

Thanks for all members of B&B. Thanks to you all, I spent a lot of cash in razors, soaps, brushes and pay a lot of import taxes 😂 Let’s help with economic recovery :)

Top Bottom