What's new

I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor!

The SCS Model A Razor has been delivered!! And I'm so anxious to try it!! 1st shave will be tomorrow morning (cause I'm a morning shaver)!! Both the Razor and the Packaging is amazing and well engineered!!

View attachment 1473465 View attachment 1473466

My first impressions:
- the razor is definitely not a low-end razor; it's well engineered and feels good in the hand
- the matte finish is not gritty but should mitigate any possible slippage
- although it's been described as a light razor, it doesn't feel disposable razor light; there's some weight to it
- I would describe the handle length as medium, not long, not short
- the printed packaging is amazing in its engineering, fits together wonderfully, and is just impressive
- all the parts fit together nicely but are not loose
Congrats.! I will be reading your review with utmost anticipation. :thumbup1:

SCS Model A Razor - Shave #1

TL;DR:
An All American Shave, DFS+ (near BBS), some WOW factor, and a new experience

Equipment: SCS Mod A Razor, Personna Blade (1), CTS Cowboy Spice Soap

CannonBall: My plan was to NOT CHANGE any of my shaving habits, use my normal routine, and see what happens!!

The Shave: firstly, there was a tiny bit of blade feel, less than my typical experience, but, for me, there was some blade feel. The light weight was NOT distracting, and the handle did NOT feel slippery at all. Using the same shaving habits as with my daily drivers (Merkur 20C, Fatip Piccolo FCCS, and Gillette Slim on 4/5), the SCS Model A gave me a VERY CLOSE shave, a degree or two of efficiency that I did not know I was missing out on. CTS Cowboy Spice makes a very good lather with an amazing scent, providing a nice base for the razor to glide over my face. I also took the time to take care of any trouble spots. With the additional efficiency and the extra care, the shave results were as near a BBS shave as I've attained.

For The Curious: yes, I did get a weeper. My mustache hair grows up into my nostrils (yay, me) and I received a weeper going over the tiny bit by apex. It did close up fast with just rinsing.

The Results: A bit of WOW factor - my face felt a bit invigorated. There's a point in razor/blade effeciency that will make your skin feel very good, just before it begins ripping you to shreads. This is how I felt after using my shave. Things went right to the "good edge" line and no further. I've got sensitive skin and a tough beard (my whiskers destroy the blade's edge long before its time). However, I'm not sure how the closeness will impact my being a daily shaver.

More About The Razor: Comparing the physical size of the razor to the Gillette Slim, the SCS is slightly...longer...than the Slim. The head seems a bit trapizoidal that, psychologically, had me trying to match the shaving angle to the side slant. As I mentioned before, I did feel a tiny bit of blade.

Overall Impression: I thought my first shave with the SCS Model A Razor went very well.

So many intriguing razors, so little time and money. Can anyone compare this to a Henson, Winning or Razorock BBS for blade rigidity, mildness, efficiency?
Here's some comparison to the "Winning" Razor:

Post in thread 'I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor!' I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/i-just-ordered-a-made-in-the-usa-scs-model-a-razor.625446/post-11805870

Post in thread 'I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor!' I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/i-just-ordered-a-made-in-the-usa-scs-model-a-razor.625446/post-11805913

Post in thread 'I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor!' I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/i-just-ordered-a-made-in-the-usa-scs-model-a-razor.625446/post-11807246

TL;DR:

CannonBall: My plan was to NOT CHANGE any of my shaving habits, use my normal routine, and see what happens!!

The Shave: firstly, there was a tiny bit of blade feel, less than my typical experience, but, for me, there was some blade feel. The light weight was NOT distracting, and the handle did NOT feel slippery at all. Using the same shaving habits as with my daily drivers (Merkur 20C, Fatip Piccolo FCCS, and Gillette Slim on 4/5), the SCS Model A gave me a VERY CLOSE shave, a degree or two of efficiency that I did not know I was missing out on. CTS Cowboy Spice makes a very good lather with an amazing scent, providing a nice base for the razor to glide over my face. I also took the time to take care of any trouble spots. With the additional efficiency and the extra care, the shave results were as near a BBS shave as I've attained.

For The Curious: yes, I did get a weeper. My mustache hair grows up into my nostrils (yay, me) and I received a weeper going over the tiny bit by apex. It did close up fast with just rinsing.

The Results: A bit of WOW factor - my face felt a bit invigorated. There's a point in razor/blade effeciency that will make your skin feel very good, just before it begins ripping you to shreads. This is how I felt after using my shave. Things went right to the "good edge" line and no further. I've got sensitive skin and a tough beard (my whiskers destroy the blade's edge long before its time). However, I'm not sure how the closeness will impact my being a daily shaver.

More About The Razor: Comparing the physical size of the razor to the Gillette Slim, the SCS is slightly...longer...than the Slim. The head seems a bit trapizoidal that, psychologically, had me trying to match the shaving angle to the side slant. As I mentioned before, I did feel a tiny bit of blade.

Overall Impression: I thought my first shave with the SCS Model A Razor went very well.
Great review @Grundi
Sounds like you liked it.
Good to hear!

I see that "The Razor Company" is now selling this razor under their own brand. It's the same $44.99 price and has the same free shipping. TRC does have 10% off sales from time to time though.
Very cool!
I just got the email from TRC showcasing the razor. That means that the person making these is growing. That's great!
I'll definitely be keeping an eye to see how they evolve. It would be interesting to see if they eventually come up with any new and interesting designs.

TL;DR:

A fine review by @Grundi, and another is up above by @LRod. Basically, after an initial use, I concur with the these guys. It's a pretty nice bit of kit.

For the last six weeks I've been traveling and almost exclusively using a RR Lupo AL razor. Generally, the Lupo AL is acknowledged as a fairly mild razor that preforms well as a daily driver. The SCS seems to fall into a similar mild place for me. It may well be a nice daily driver that can deliver a stress free, fairly close shave. It is a bit more expensive than the Lupo at $45, versus $30, but won't break the bank. As far as the initial shave went, I too had a small amount of blade feel with the razor, and ended up with an excellent DFS shave this morning. The build quality seems fine, hopefully the black finish holds up with extended use. The design is clever, utilizing some stainless steel bits to hold the blade in place and attach the head to the handle, the balance of the razor is made of aluminum. I do like that the blade is placed on the posts in the bottom piece of the head, rather than on the top cap; it made it simple to place the blade correctly. The handle is grippy enough for me; I didn't experience any slippage. I was pleasantly surprised by my initial shave; as @LRod pointed out, at times it didn't seem to be cutting much, but it indeed was cutting.

I'll post some more after I've used the SCS more.

Today's shave:

PXL_20220618_144727608.jpg

A fine review by @Grundi, and another is up above by @LRod. Basically, after an initial use, I concur with the these guys. It's a pretty nice bit of kit.

For the last six weeks I've been traveling and almost exclusively using a RR Lupo AL razor. Generally, the Lupo AL is acknowledged as a fairly mild razor that preforms well as a daily driver. The SCS seems to fall into a similar mild place for me. It may well be a nice daily driver that can deliver a stress free, fairly close shave. It is a bit more expensive than the Lupo at $45, versus $30, but won't break the bank. As far as the initial shave went, I too had a small amount of blade feel with the razor, and ended up with an excellent DFS shave this morning. The build quality seems fine, hopefully the black finish holds up with extended use. The design is clever, utilizing some stainless steel bits to hold the blade in place and attach the head to the handle, the balance of the razor is made of aluminum. I do like that the blade is placed on the posts in the bottom piece of the head, rather than on the top cap; it made it simple to place the blade correctly. The handle is grippy enough for me; I didn't experience any slippage. I was pleasantly surprised by my initial shave; as @LRod pointed out, at times it didn't seem to be cutting much, but it indeed was cutting.

I'll post some more after I've used the SCS more.

Today's shave:

View attachment 1474285
Great review @RenoRichard
Thanks for posting!

Top Bottom