What's new

I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor!

First shave report:

1.5 days of growth, TOBS Cedarwood, Gillette Platinum blade, 2 pass WTG/XTG DFS.
I chose the Gillette Platinum first in order to see how close the shave would be with a blade that's not on the mega sharp end of the spectrum. It's a good first run with that blade because the razor has negative blade exposure and an obvious lower end blade gap. So my expectation was that it wouldn't have very good efficiency.
Next time I'll slap a Feather in it to see how it works out with a very sharp blade!

Started with the first WTG pass and immediately noticed how smooth it is. You need to push a bit to compensate for it's lack of weight and negative blade exposure. It's very well balanced though and the handle feels very nice (super light, almost plastic like). No slip at all!
As I was shaving I questioned whether it was doing anything at all. You literally feel zero blade and it shaves quietly. You still do here some cutting action though due to its aluminum construction. I'm not used to that! You can press all you want and I'd find it really hard to get any nicks. Definitely a total autopilot razor!
When I was done with that first pass, I rinsed my face and ran my hand on my beard area. I was shocked at how close it had shaved. Like really shocked!

Painted some more lather on my face and went for XTG pass #2. Now obviously I really felt like it wasn't doing anything. But I still heard some cutting going on. I rinsed, applied some alum block and then some Proraso aftershave and done!
Ran my hand on my face and once again I was amazed at what this razor did. It does the job very well!
My opinion is that at $45, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better. That is if you enjoy a daily autopilot shave with no blade feel at all.
Can I compare it to the closeness and feel of my ATT Windsor? No!
But it's not a $200 razor and not designed as such. My face ended up looking perfect for a full workdays worth of looking freshly shaved.
Bottom line:
$45, Made in the USA and it works and feels great!
Highly recommended!
Like I said, next up will be a Feather blade. I have a feeling it will be a super win with those blades. If it works out as expected, this razor will be part of my rotation.

Edit:
I forgot to mention. The 3 included white wrapped blades are Made in the USA Personnas. I opened one up to look. I've never used Personnas so I'm sure I'll be trying them out as well.

LRod

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
First shave report:

1.5 days of growth, TOBS Cedarwood, Gillette Platinum blade, 2 pass WTG/XTG DFS.
I chose the Gillette Platinum first in order to see how close the shave would be with a blade that's not on the mega sharp end of the spectrum. It's a good first run with that blade because the razor has negative blade exposure and an obvious lower end blade gap. So my expectation was that it wouldn't have very good efficiency.
Next time I'll slap a Feather in it to see how it works out with a very sharp blade!

Started with the first WTG pass and immediately noticed how smooth it is. You need to push a bit to compensate for it's lack of weight and negative blade exposure. It's very well balanced though and the handle feels very nice (super light, almost plastic like). No slip at all!
As I was shaving I questioned whether it was doing anything at all. You literally feel zero blade and it shaves quietly. You still do here some cutting action though due to its aluminum construction. I'm not used to that! You can press all you want and I'd find it really hard to get any nicks. Definitely a total autopilot razor!
When I was done with that first pass, I rinsed my face and ran my hand on my beard area. I was shocked at how close it had shaved. Like really shocked!

Painted some more lather on my face and went for XTG pass #2. Now obviously I really felt like it wasn't doing anything. But I still heard some cutting going on. I rinsed, applied some alum block and then some Proraso aftershave and done!
Ran my hand on my face and once again I was amazed at what this razor did. It does the job very well!
My opinion is that at $45, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better. That is if you enjoy a daily autopilot shave with no blade feel at all.
But it's not a $200 razor and not designed as such. My face ended up looking perfect for a full workdays worth of looking freshly shaved.
Bottom line:
Highly recommended!
Like I said, next up will be a Feather blade. I have a feeling it will be a super win with those blades. If it works out as expected, this razor will be part of my rotation.

LRod
Very thorough review... thx.

Thank you for a great review of the SCS Model T Razor. :thumbup:
Those blades in the white wrapper are most likely Personna Lab Blues. Its a middle tier blade IMO as in not super sharp but far from being dull.
Thanks!
Never tried these blades. I'll give them a shot one of these days.

First shave report:

Bottom line:
Highly recommended!

Edit:
I forgot to mention. The 3 included white wrapped blades are Made in the USA Personnas. I opened one up to look. I've never used Personnas so I'm sure I'll be trying them out as well.

LRod
Received notice that my razor shipped today!! And your excellent review has caused my anxiousness to try this razor to be sky-high!! Cannot wait for this razor to get delivered!!

How does it compare with the Winning?
I would say that the efficiency is about equal.
I'd have to give the smoothness prize to the SCS. Feels totally different though because of the weight difference due to one being SS and the other aluminum. The Winning's head feels more like a block going through your face and the SCS feels slimmer and more nimble. I would say that the SCS is smoother (for me). The winning razor likes one angle from what I've experienced but you can tell that the SCS can work at multiple angles.
Bottom line in my analysis is that they are very different. Efficiency being the only equal.
As always though YMMV!

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to the second review if you do one.

I'd like to hear @Grundi 's opinion as well. I'm strongly considering getting it.

For the record my number 1 razor is the winning razor while my wife loves her Henson.
Like I previously said, they are totally different. The only thing that is a match is the efficiency. I like both in a different way. One thing I forgot to mention in the comparison is the blade feel. The SCS's blade feel is non existent! The Winning razor has very very minor blade feel but it's still present. Some may like this, some may not!
Either way, it's a quality made razor for $45. If you don't like it, you sell it!
I like agressive, blade forward razors but
I'm keeping it regardless!
It's nice, light and efficient to use as my travel razor.

I think were all waiting for the SCS Model A Razor Round #2. :thumbup:
I'll do round 2 with tomorrows shave. Today was dedicated to my new Karve razor. I've decided to do the second round with a Bic Chrome Platinum blade that I've already used once on a previous shave with my Lupo. That blade is now sharper than a new Feather! And I've already loaded it on the SCS!
We'll see how it goes!

OK folks, Round 2 with the SCS!
1 day of growth, TOBS Cedarwood, Bic Chrome Platinum blade (used once before so it's sharp!), 2 pass WTG/XTG DFS.

First pass:
Felt exactly like the first shave I had using the Gillette Platinum. Zero blade feel, very little audible feedback and it felt like it wasn't doing anything. I even purposely did some pushing to see if that would change. It did not!
I'm convinced that it's almost impossible to get cut by this razor. Maybe a Kai blade would make it different since those are wider (but I don't use those). Point is that you feel nothing as you shave!
But how was the efficiency? Remarkable for a razor that feels like this during a shave. Ran my hands after the first pass and could feel very very minor stubble. Every time I rinsed the head, I saw plenty of hair coming off. For sure more efficiency with the sharper blade.
How was the smoothness? Same as before, ultra smooth!

Second pass:
I now really felt like the razor wasn't doing anything. But it sure was!
Plenty more hair rinsed and by the time I was done, my face was super smooth.
Excellent close shave that will easily last through a whole day!

I believe that any standard blade that's used on this razor will feel the same. What changes is how much efficiency you get.
Again, is it the result that I get from my expensive Windsor? Or the result that I got with my new Karve with a D plate? No it's not!
But it's obviously not designed for that. I feel that It's designed as a totally autopilot, non aggressive & mild razor that can be used everyday for great results with no irritation or accidents. It's very much worth it's $45 price. I don't think it will be part of my rotation because I like aggressive/blade forward razors but I'm keeping it regardless. For me it makes an excellent travel razor and simply a different razor from my lineup that I can use every once in a while.
In shave performance, it surpasses similarly priced common razors such as Merkur's, Parkers etc..
Comparably priced/performance razors that I have and compare it to:

Merkur 23C
Merkur 33C
Parker 97R
Feather Popular
The "Winning" Razor

The SCS-Model A blows all of them out of the water in performance. The only one that comes pretty close would be the "Winning" razor. All the others on my comparison list will probably get sold or will just sit there and never get used.

So if you want a no nonsense, $45 Made in the USA, daily, easy to shave with, mild, no concentration needed but overperforming razor, get one!

Mandatory disclaimer though: YMMV, LOL!!

This concludes my testing of the SCS and I'm looking forward to reading results when others get one!
LRod

Last edited:
Very nice review.! Thank you. :thumbup:
I Volunteer @Grundi to pick up the Torch & give his review on the SCS Razor. :thumbup1:
@fast shaver, I accept!! My razor is somewhere between Michigan and Maine, making its way Eastward!!

Great reviews, @LRod, and now, based on your experience, I'm waiting by my mailbox like a little kid waiting for Santa!! I've got a couple of blades that I would like to try in it, along with a fake Polsilver, just because!!

So far, my experience with Bob at SimpleCleanShave has been excellent, good communication and shipped it fast!! Now it's up to our very capable US Postal Service to get the SCS Model A Razor to Maine!!

along with a fake Polsilver, just because!!
My winning razor did not like those at all. The Game Changer .68OC did ok though.

Now it's up to our very capable US Postal Service to get the SCS Model A Razor to Maine!!
The tracking for my latest Pasteur's just changed to "forwarded" and in a nearby city to boot. I don't know how my local mail person even figured out where to take the last package because the label was damaged so badly.

The SCS Model A Razor has been delivered!! And I'm so anxious to try it!! 1st shave will be tomorrow morning (cause I'm a morning shaver)!! Both the Razor and the Packaging is amazing and well engineered!!

SCS_ModelA_1_of_2.jpg
SCS_ModelA_2_of_2.jpg

My first impressions:
- the razor is definitely not a low-end razor; it's well engineered and feels good in the hand
- the matte finish is not gritty but should mitigate any possible slippage
- although it's been described as a light razor, it doesn't feel disposable razor light; there's some weight to it
- I would describe the handle length as medium, not long, not short
- the printed packaging is amazing in its engineering, fits together wonderfully, and is just impressive
- all the parts fit together nicely but are not loose

The SCS Model A Razor has been delivered!! And I'm so anxious to try it!! 1st shave will be tomorrow morning (cause I'm a morning shaver)!! Both the Razor and the Packaging is amazing and well engineered!!

View attachment 1473465 View attachment 1473466

My first impressions:
- the razor is definitely not a low-end razor; it's well engineered and feels good in the hand
- although it's been described as a light razor, it doesn't feel disposable razor light; there's some weight to it
- the printed packaging is amazing in its engineering, fits together wonderfully, and is just impressive
Congratulations!
Looking forward to hearing about your first shave!

View attachment 1473465 View attachment 1473466

My first impressions:
Right on @Grundi, I'm happy for you.

I can't wait to hear your opinion and get your first impression of it.

Top Bottom