What's new

I Just Ordered A Bunch Of Shaving Supplies - Opinions?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello everyone, in an effort to get my stock up on some stuff, and provide me greater variety, this is what I just ordered...

Bic Chrome Platinum blades
81r2+Q4fbDL._SY879_.jpg

Thayers Lemon Which Hazel
612YZbCINQL._SY879_.jpg

Proraso GREEN Shave Soap
51g1Y8aRKqL._SX522_.jpg

Proraso WHITE Shave Soap
61xEmPO8vRL._SY679_.jpg

Proraso Pre-Shave Cream
71a7Sra+31L._SX522_.jpg

Proraso Aftershave Balm
61KmS8zboIS._SX522_.jpg

Catie's Bubbles Le Piment De La Vie Shave Soap
41806FE+QVL._AC_.jpg

Catie's Bubbles Tonsorium Shaving Soap
51RJ7AAhMiL._AC_.jpg

Stirling Black Cherry Shaving Soap
stirling-shave-soap-img5_1080x.jpg

Well, I think I covered everything lol. For me, this is a lot of soap, combined with what I already have now. I could go bankrupt trying to buy every artisan shave soap there is in the world, but I am not going to do that. This will be enough soap to last me, well, who knows how long!

Everybody talks about Whitch Hazel stuff too on this site, and I know I will love a lemon scented one. Plus, I want to try out Proraso's aftershave balm and pre-shave stuff, hope its good. Alright, what you guys think about my purchases today? Anybody approve? Opinions? What do you guys enjoy?

How do we put this... very sensible purchases! Nothing wrong with any of that except I hope you already love Proraso and CB because committing to more than one each at a time is a bit of a risk. I am not a fan of Proraso, it's fine, I'll keep my comments to my self. I have CB La Terre Vert, love the smell. Have had both for a long time as I found things I loved more. You really should try Haslinger considering how cheap it is so you can try a hard soap. I have nothing useful... :cool:

Hello everyone, in an effort to get my stock up on some stuff, and provide me greater variety, this is what I just ordered...

View attachment 1433311

View attachment 1433313

Proraso GREEN Shave Soap
View attachment 1433316

Proraso WHITE Shave Soap
View attachment 1433318

Proraso Pre-Shave Cream
View attachment 1433319

Proraso Aftershave Balm
View attachment 1433320

View attachment 1433324

View attachment 1433325

View attachment 1433327

Well, I think I covered everything lol. For me, this is a lot of soap, combined with what I already have now. I could go bankrupt trying to buy every artisan shave soap there is in the world, but I am not going to do that. This will be enough soap to last me, well, who knows how long!

Everybody talks about Whitch Hazel stuff too on this site, and I know I will love a lemon scented one. Plus, I want to try out Proraso's aftershave balm and pre-shave stuff, hope its good. Alright, what you guys think about my purchases today? Anybody approve? Opinions? What do you guys enjoy?

You sure purchased something here! I think the black cherry must be one awesome scent. I too haven’t trie the proraso preshave which is always talked about for a long time. Tell us how you liked it then!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

How do we put this... very sensible purchases! Nothing wrong with any of that except I hope you already love Proraso and CB because committing to more than one each at a time is a bit of a risk. I am not a fan of Proraso, it's fine, I'll keep my comments to my self. I have CB La Terre Vert, love the smell. Have had both for a long time as I found things I loved more. You really should try Haslinger considering how cheap it is so you can try a hard soap. I have nothing useful... :cool:

Thank you! I do actually love Proraso, I already own their Sandlewood soap in the RED container and I love it. I already know that I am going to like their GREEN container, because thats Eucalyptus, and I love that scent, I have it in essential oil, and the GREEN container also has menthol.

I love citrus scents, I also have Lemon in essential oil too, and I read up that the WHITE Proraso has a citrus smell to it, so I know that I will love it. I am a fan of Proraso, so I don't see an issue there. Problem I have with Tabac, is they have no other scents! With Tabac you get one scent and thats it.

And yes, while Tabac smells OK, its a bit on the too flowery side for my tastes. I will still use it from time to time of course, but not all the time. When I first started out, all I had was Tabac, and after many shaves with that, I was itching for a change lol.

With Caties Bubbles it is a bit of a gamble yes. But so many people on this forum love Caties Bubbles, And I am putting my trust in people on the forum not to steer me wrong in that regard. I am going to take a guess that I will enjoy it though.

I already know that I am going to like the Stirling Black Cherry soap, cause I love the smell of, and the taste of black cherry. I've even eaten black cherry vanilla ice cream, and my goodness it was good, yum lol. Haslinger soaps? Well, thank you for the recommendation, but I think I've ordered enough soap for awhile hehe.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

You sure purchased something here! I think the black cherry must be one awesome scent. I too haven’t trie the proraso preshave which is always talked about for a long time. Tell us how you liked it then!

Yep, I've seen GeoFatBoy use it. I don't remember there being a totally definitive answer, weather or not the shave was better with the pre-shave, but I suppose some people swear by it. So I thought I would try it. I will let you guys know after I've had a chance to use it.

The green Proraso soap is great value and a lot easier to lather than the red Proraso. And then the smell and extreme cooling of the skin, it's absolutely fantastic. Great choice, as is the pre shave Proraso, I use both of them and like them a lot.
Very jealous of your other soaps and need to try the Stirling cherry too.
Also interesting you got the Bic chrome blades, never tested them before and looking forward to your report about them.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

The green Proraso soap is great value and a lot easier to lather than the red Proraso. And then the smell and extreme cooling of the skin, it's absolutely fantastic. Great choice, as is the pre shave Proraso, I use both of them and like them a lot.
Very jealous of your other soaps and need to try the Stirling cherry too.
Also interesting you got the Bic chrome blades, never tested them before and looking forward to your report about them.

WOW, I did not know that! I thought it was a bit weird I was having a little trouble gathering soap from the Proraso RED puck. I mean, I can do it, but it just seems to take an oddly long time. Where as I can get soap from the Tabac puck far faster. Thank you for the interesting information!

Glad to know that you've tried the pre-shave, so it works great ha? Do you have a specific recommendation in its use? If not, I will just apply it the way GeoFatBoy did, which I consider fairly normally.

I have had at least 2 or 3 members on the forum recommend the Bic blades. They know that I have been using the Feather blades, cause thats all that I have had. The claim is, while they are not as sharp as Feathers, they have the best balance of sharpness, longevity, and smoothness.

To me, that is a greater value. Considering the Feathers cost 4.99 a pack, and Bic's are 0.89 a pack, you can easily see where the savings are, when one is buying a 100 pack of blades. So value and performance, can't wait for that. HEHE

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

All good stuff, enjoy. I use Thayers after every shave. Sometimes followed by a splash sometimes by itself. Great stuff.

One of the Youtube channels I watch, he will sometimes apply Whitch Hazel and then apply a splash. Thats where I got the idea of that procedure. But seeing how many people here that use it, made me think, I needed to try it as well lol.

I love how many Star Trek fans we have on this site, really makes me feel at home. 😁

One of the Youtube channels I watch, he will sometimes apply Whitch Hazel and then apply a splash. Thats where I got the idea of that procedure. But seeing how many people here that use it, made me think, I needed to try it as well lol.

I love how many Star Trek fans we have on this site, really makes me feel at home. 😁
The sabbatical group is on a 2 years mission. 2021 is completed and 2022 in progress. Some members use an Avatar that match the theme.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

In my opinion, you need to STOP spending money on soap!

LOL, you are approaching critical mass in your main thruster array, and it's about to blow!

"Number One, engage!"

Its great to see you today FarmerTan! 😁

Don't worry, I am done spending money on soap for awhile, I figure I have enough to last me awhile.

Once I eat a big bowl of chilli, my thruster always reaches critical mass, and I have to vent the plasma gas. 🤣

Last time someone told Number 1 to engage, he actually got engaged to someone. Jk :p

View attachment 1433311

View attachment 1433313

Proraso GREEN Shave Soap
View attachment 1433316

Proraso WHITE Shave Soap
View attachment 1433318

Proraso Pre-Shave Cream
View attachment 1433319

Proraso Aftershave Balm
View attachment 1433320

View attachment 1433324

View attachment 1433325

View attachment 1433327

Have never used the razor blades or the bubbles, but you can’t go wrong with Proraso products or Sterling Soap products, (In my humble opinion).

Glad to know that you've tried the pre-shave, so it works great ha? Do you have a specific recommendation in its use? If not, I will just apply it the way GeoFatBoy did, which I consider fairly normally.

Not sure how GeoFatBoy does it, other than most likely he's doing it right of course:)

How I apply the Proraso pre shave is just scoop a little bit out with a finger and spread it onto the wet face, massaging it into the hair and skin.
It doesn't do much in terms of actually improving the closeness or the shave for me, but it certainly helps to make the whole process more enjoyable and smoother. Quite possibly it also prevents irritation of the skin but luckily that's not much of an issue for me anyway.
I have had at least 2 or 3 members on the forum recommend the Bic blades. They know that I have been using the Feather blades, cause thats all that I have had. The claim is, while they are not as sharp as Feathers, they have the best balance of sharpness, longevity, and smoothness.

I do like the Feather blades, but as you mentioned they are not the cheapest. Also I heard they don't last very long for many people. I wouldn't know as i toss my blades too early to try new ones :)

Since P&G announced to end Gillette blade production at the St. Petersburg plant, the future or all the Gillette DE blades formerly produced at that factory are a bit of an unknown at this point.
My favorite blades were all made in St. Petersburg and while we can still buy existing stock now, it will run out sooner or later.
The BIC blade may be an interesting alternativ as it's made in Greece.
Some of the other options, Wilkinson and Personna out of Germany are ok, but not as great as the (now discontinued) Gillette Nacet.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Proraso Green is a natural for Summer. All you need now is the big bottle of Proraso Green aftershave.
:biggrin1:
View attachment 1433400

BTW, there are these things called samples...ah, never mind, you will be in good shape for quite a while now.

For some reason that bottle looks like mountain dew to me. :lol:

I don't got the patience for samples! I do my research on scent notes, and I find out what other's think.

And yes, I think I am good on soap for awhile. Someone on here just recently bought 30 soaps, far more then I.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I didn't see any brushes in your purchase! :biggrin1:

Hello Balin, good to see ya! How's shaving treating you?

The reason you didn't see a brush purchase in there, is because I already made one over a week ago. I got a brush heading my way from a little slow row boat from China.

I ordered a Maseto Avatar 30 knott 56 loft silver tipped badger brush off Ebay.
Maseto Avatar 30 Knott 56 Loft Shaving Brush.jpg

I just checked the tracking, after a week, its just now managed to pass exports declaration. I suppose that means its going to be loaded on the boat soon, and take a cruise to America.

Top Bottom