What's new

I Just Ordered A Bunch Of Shaving Supplies - Opinions?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I personally don't love Prorasso either. I think we are in the minority. If someone does like it, that's great!
I didn't care for the Prorasso white. The post shave feel was horrible to me... and it leaves a white residue on the brush, even after extensive cleaning. I passed it on to our son... who will likely never use it. LOL

So, after that, do you think I'm going to try red, green or blue? I think not. ;)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I didn't care for the Prorasso white. The post shave feel was horrible to me... and it leaves a white residue on the brush, even after extensive cleaning. I passed it on to our son... who will likely never use it. LOL

So, after that, do you think I'm going to try red, green or blue? I think not. ;)

Ohhhhhh man, I hated the Proraso WHITE, it sucks! I stuck that junk under the sink to never see the light of day again. Out of all my shave soap orders, the one that truly was a mistake, was the Proraso WHITE shave soap. Never again! And soaps that don't rinse completely away, forcing to do some special shampoo soak, to get the previous soap residue out, should probably be avoided. But hey, thats just my opinion. Some might like the look of speckled fiber hairs as their falling out of their brushes, to give them character, but thats not me! LOL

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ohhhhhh man, I hated the Proraso WHITE, it sucks! I stuck that junk under the sink to never see the light of day again. Out of all my shave soap orders, the one that truly was a mistake, was the Proraso WHITE shave soap. Never again! And soaps that don't rinse completely away, forcing to do some special shampoo soak, to get the previous soap residue out, should probably be avoided. But hey, thats just my opinion. Some might like the look of speckled fiber hairs as their falling out of their brushes, to give them character, but thats not me! LOL
The bald look is OK for men with certain shaped heads.. I don't bald is a nice look on a shaving brush.. or a comb over. <eg>

Yeah, I have tried Green in tub and tube, red, and the wood and spice single blade. Never finished any of it, sold or gave it away. Oh well, good to have so many options out there. Something for everyone.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

14W -85W equivalent RGB LED bulbs. Shave den upgraded.
proxy.php

New shelving installed to gain more space to store shaving items. Shave den upgraded!
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Had to get a razor and brush stand for my shave den. Guess what? You can consider my shave den upgraded.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Stay tuned, cause there's going to be more stuff coming!

I just received today, along with some other Proraso goodies, a jar of the white pre-shave. Absolutely LOVED it. Don't have the cream or balm. Lovely scent. Also, a jar of the blue and green pre-shave. I have used the green and red shaving cream for many years so interesting comments, in general, and specifically, the hate towards the white shaving cream.

Also, got a bottle of the Azur Lime after shave balm. Loved it too!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Dood! Nice start there. I like how the razor/brush rack looks like an open comb razor.

Your right, the stand has that open comb sort of look to it. I even like the square opening in the middle, which just feels like it was meant for mirrors hehe. The artist makes larger ones than this, that accommodate like a dozen razors and brushes, but that would be more for @LRod, who really could make better benefit of something like that. 😝

You can get these a little cheaper without the varnish applied, but IMHO, I believe the stands look far better varnished, and I just really love the dark cherry varnish. Now I will say, because this was a fresh job, there is most certainly some out-gassing going on right now from the product, so thats something you need to keep in mind when you get this.

The seller really packaged it up well though, it was in two separate boxes, and inside a bag.

I just received today, along with some other Proraso goodies, a jar of the white pre-shave. Absolutely LOVED it. Don't have the cream or balm. Lovely scent. Also, a jar of the blue and green pre-shave. I have used the green and red shaving cream for many years so interesting comments, in general, and specifically, the hate towards the white shaving cream.

Also, got a bottle of the Azur Lime after shave balm. Loved it too!

Hello CCS! Believe it or not, even though I consider Stirling soaps to be far superior, I still like my Proraso GREEN and RED shave soaps, and my Proraso GREEN aftershave balm. Just make sure you keep the soaps hydrated enough, one time I made a rookie mistake, didn't have enough water in my Proraso RED lather, sucker dried while it was on my face in the hot heat, and my face and neck felt like it was in a cast mold. :lol:

Some folks have sworn by the Proraso RED (Sandalwood) aftershave splash, which I don't have. I was going to get it at one point, but the price Amazon was asking for was 16 dollars, and I just didn't feel the value was there for the money spent. If you know a place I can get it cheaper, then I have no qualms about getting the Sandalwood splash. That Proraso aftershave balm you see on my shelf, is the GREEN (Eucalyptus)

Yes, hated the Proraso WHITE, that was the one and only shave supply purchase that I made, that I really considered it an actual mistake. As you can see, I also got into Pinaud Clubman aftershaves. I wouldn't consider them artisan quality, but they are nice and do the job.

Hello CCS! Believe it or not, even though I consider Stirling soaps to be far superior, I still like my Proraso GREEN and RED shave soaps, and my Proraso GREEN aftershave balm. Just make sure you keep the soaps hydrated enough, one time I made a rookie mistake, didn't have enough water in my Proraso RED lather, sucker dried while it was on my face in the hot heat, and my face and neck felt like it was in a cast mold. :lol:

Some folks have sworn by the Proraso RED (Sandalwood) aftershave splash, which I don't have. I was going to get it at one point, but the price Amazon was asking for was 16 dollars, and I just didn't feel the value was there for the money spent. If you know a place I can get it cheaper, then I have no qualms about getting the Sandalwood splash. That Proraso aftershave balm you see on my shelf, is the GREEN (Eucalyptus)

Yes, hated the Proraso WHITE, that was the one and only shave supply purchase that I made, that I really considered it an actual mistake. As you can see, I also got into Pinaud Clubman aftershaves. I wouldn't consider them artisan quality, but they are nice and do the job.
I don't use Proraso's soap, I use their creams in the tubes. Over the decades I've tried many creams but for slick, proper lather, it's hard to do better than Proraso. I do use a few soaps (Speick, MWF, Palmolive, La Toja, PdP) and all in my cabinet are superb IMO but I've never tried any of Proraso's soaps. Creams are easier and quicker to lather and, in my experience, work just as well as soaps, often, better. I rarely try anything new other than a scent from a company's line I'm already familiar with. I've got more than 15 soaps and creams in my regular rotation and that's about 10 too many! Not to mention the aftershaves, and stash of vintage Old Spice...

Anyway, enjoy your journey, the retailers love you! ;)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

After what felt like an eternity of waiting, and the feeling that Fedex lost my package, my remaining shaving items finally showed up today, thank God! My plans to sell my AS-D2 may have sank in the mud, leaving my wish for acquisition of Ascension, a pile of broken dreams, but at least I have these items to put a smile on my face.

Stirling Pumpkin Spice & Satsuma shave soaps!

proxy.php

Initial impressions based on sniffing off the puck's.//

Pumpkin Spice:

The Pumpkin Spice smells like pumpkin bread, (which is delicious by the way, you should try some!) how Rod & Mandy nailed that so perfectly is beyond me. Perfect scent for the fall, you have to add a little spice to your shave. Just don't add the heat with the Muhle R41 with a Feather blade, otherwise you end up like Sinatra Lennon, going down weeper river, with no styptic paddle, and meeting the reaper at the end.

Satsuma:

Satsuma sounds Japanese influenced just by going off the name. This is supposed to be a citrus based scent, with notes of Mandarin, as well as oriental spice notes. @FarmerTan I took one solid sniff of this puk, and my mind went instantly to Arko. Yes, you heard me right Dave, we now have a contender to battle it out with Arko, who will win? I can tell you this much, if this soap performs well, then Satsuma will win, because of the shear whopping 5.8 ounces you get for 14 dollars. lol

Wintergreen Aftershave Splash!
proxy.php

You might recall, that I got Stirling Wintergreen shave soap last month, and I absolutely love it! I love the scent so much, I just had to get the aftershave this month. But what I really wanted, was Wintergreen cologne, but they don't sell it! I contacted Rod & Mandy, to inquire as to its whereabouts. Turns out, its not a big seller, so they don't sell it in Eau De Toilette strength! 🤯 Since aftershave is weaker and doesn't last as long, that means you need to apply more of it, so might as well buy 2-bottles then.

Speaking of the reaper, just look at those bottles, it looks like the reapers collection from all those who gave themselves weepers! Did Stirling really have to dye the aftershave cherry red? I mean, its pretty and all, but you better not get any of it on a white dress shirt, otherwise your gonna have to make up some story about how your kid was playing around with cranberry juice, and it got splashed on ya. Cause if you tell them the real story, they are gonna think your insane.

The aftershave smells just like the soap, but it should, its Wintergreen afterall. I am just in love with this scent, I like it more then Peppermint, and more then Spearmint. I like this scent so much, that when I was shopping for toilet cleanser this month, I had to get the Lysol toilette cleanser in Wintergreen too. There might be something wrong with me, I should get checked out by a doctor. Doctor says I am a lost cause, well, we all knew that years ago. So lets move on...

Stirling Kenya Dark Roast Coffee!
proxy.php

In all these months, I've been buying soaps, aftershaves, etc, but never had I bought Stirling's coffee yet. When I was on there site, I was literally overwhealmed by the shear number of coffee that they sold. Why doesn't SWCT do what any normal person do, and buy some samples? Do you know me? There is nothing normal about me, I don't buy samples! Although Stirling loves to send me soap samples with every order. No, instead I do some research, and based on that research, I determine weather or not I am going to like a product. So, how did my research pan out?

Well holly cow! Can I just say, I've been drinking store bought coffee my entire life. OK that isn't entirely accurate, my mom and dad bought coffee for to me to drink when I was young. But once I became of age and got a job, then I started buying my own coffee. Point is, all my taste buds have known was store bought. Then I upgraded to Kirkland 100% Arabica bean, and have been enjoying that the past two months.

Well, just as anything else on B&B, your all wonderful and beautiful enablers, and you got your ways, to convince us to upgrade to artisan. So thats what I did, spent way too much for 32 ounces of earthy bean deliciousness. Since my expectations were well, not really expecting anything, you can imagine when this coffee threw me through a loop. The initial scent wiff off the bag is intoxicating. Now I see why they double bag it, otherwise people would be smelling it through the closed box, and would invite someone to steal my coffee out of the box in shipping.

Once opened, the full strength of the medium grounded coffee defies gravity, and the scent smacks you in the face. I say to myself, well, were off to a good start here. I put enough grounds in my filter to make 14 ounces of coffee. Oh my God, my house smells so good right now, I am not even kidding, what is this magic? Once finished brewing, I added some of my sweetner and creamer, and took a taste. I was like, wait, what the heck? Whats this? This don't taste like my usual coffee at all! Let me take more sips for science!

My taste buds are telling me that its a nutty flavor. I have never had a coffee that tasted like that before, not once! Its most certainly coffee, but its something more, its nutty, its sweet, its smooth, its oh my God delicious! The coffee bag says SWEET & BOLT ESPRESSO. Well you got that right! Plus I brewed it BOLD as well. I got this coffee good and strong, and its not sending me running out to the nearest airlock.

Of course, for any proper science, I am going to have to drink a whole lot more of this to be absolutely sure. But so far, I am freaking loving it! So, this means that Stirling Kenya Dark Roast coffee, is getting the SWCT stamp of approval! 5 out of 5 stars!

proxy.php

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

UPDATE:

I have had a chance to try out both the Stirling Pumpkin Spice and the Stirling Satsuma shave soaps, and I enjoy them both. The Pumpkin Spice is just as one would expect from a Stirling shave soap, excellent performance, delivering the spice scent to your face, quite pleasing to the nostrils, and gets the job done. The Satsuma once bloomed and whipped into a lather, its scent surprisingly changed a bit, smelled a little less like Arko, and an overall pleasing citrus scent with the Mandorin, equally good performance, pleasing to the nostrils, and gets the job done.

My Stirling mentholated products spoiled me, and turned me into a menthol head, but I realized that Stirling wasn't the only brand in the world to make mentholated products. So, I did some research on B&B, without any of you knowing about it, cause I am sneaky that way, and I decided on another brand. My goal was to go for heavy menthol, but with a pleasing scent, and ultimate levels of skin soothingness, healingness, and moisturisingness. Not sure that those three are real words, but I am SWCT, I am going to use them anyways doggone. So I just got done ordering this from Walgreens.

1663955342512.png

I ordered a couple bottles, when they get here, I am going to take a real picture, to deliver you the high def resolution that you amazing folks deserve. Thats right, this is B&B, we don't tolerate low quality pixilated photo's here, no sir! Only the best for my B&B family members. BTW, another reason for choosing this specific brand was for the sandalwood/juniper woody scents, always love those!

Oh, I almost forgot, I also ordered another Stirling coffee which just shipped, Stirling Dark Roast Tanzania!

1663955564314.png

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Here's the Stirling Tanzania coffee that came in the mail yesterday!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Spoiler: Its delicious! 😋

And here is the new Duke Cannon aftershave balm that arrived!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Take a look at that, its mentholated, for those of us who are menthol heads!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Spoiler: Smells great! 😍

So, if you can't stand menthol, get out of the shave den, cause this stuff is not for clowns lol! I also appreciate the fact that portions of the proceeds go to benefiting US Veterans, thats excellent!

proxy.php

This marks the official month, that I finally filled the aftershave shelf, WOOHOO! :thumbup:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hey SWCT, I just went through your thread again and noticed in one of your pictures that under another soap you have a jar of TABAC!! You know what next month is, TABACtober! Will we be seeing you there?

Hello Balin, good to see you! And I see Christopher Pike won't be making it to the party today, because its shaving supplies month WOOHOO! :thumbup:

Tabac was the very first shave soap that I purchased, that started off my wet shaving journey. I've used it many times, but haven't been using it lately. Truth be told, I was lucky to get the original when I did, because right around the same time period, Tabac changed their formula over to VEGAN only.

Many of these manufactures can use whatever excuse they want to justify their decisions to switch to vegan. But reality is, beef tallow started getting hard to get during the supply shortages, and instead of admitting that, they pretend that the reason to go vegan is for some magical healthier living, bunch of nonsense if you asked me.

I don't usually participate in the challenge threads, its not really my thing. I don't like being locked into being forced to use one shave soap for an entire month, its not the way I role. I like to choose whatever soap I use, at anytime. Thats what I call freedom, and its those soldiers who die in the batllefield, to protect our freedoms, so that I may have the choice.

Thanks Balin! :thumbup1:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

The Month is October
1664926438781.png

The autumn trees begin to bloom their crimson red color, letting you know fall is here. There is no better way to get your cooler weather fall on, then to go with some fall scented shave soaps. You folks already know that I purchased the Pumpkin Spice last month, so I am ready to go this Halloween, when I want to smell like pumpkin's lol. But, pumpkins are not the only fall scents out there. You could also go with Coniferous, Evergreen, or go Autumn Glory, to really deliver the point home to your face.

But there is a scent that I haven't had a chance to buy until recently, I have only smelled the bath soap sample that was sent to me. Once I determined that I love the scent, it wasn't going to be long before I pampered myself, with this falls luxury, Almond Cream. Sounds delicious does it not?

1664926917419.png

ORDERED!

But you can't really have the true feeling of the fall cooler weather, unless you apply it to your face. Since I am now calling myself the mentholated junkie, I need to stock up on some mentholated goodness. And @APBinNCA, don't you worry buddy, I will get the mentholated grinder and menthol crystals next time. ;) So, how about the PAA Mentholated Pre-Shave Ice Cube!

1664927218908.png

ORDERED!

And of course I can't put such intergallactically amazing mentholated pre-shave directly on my counter top, I wasn't raised in a barn folks. Thats right, we do things right here. So we gonna have to get that intergallactic pre-shave cube dock for it too, that way the pre-shave cube gets as pampered as I do!

1664927393545.png

ORDERED!

You all know that I bought the Stirling Executive Man shave soap months ago, and yes, I really love it. Nothing says executive management, like the scent of an Executive Man. But! But since I only play an executive, I got to lock in that position, ( Just like @FarmerTan does with his Arko ) and get some Executive Man Eau De Toillette!

1664927697958.png

ORDERED!

Well, thats it for this month, I think, I will let you know when the acquisition disorder wears off. :rolleyes:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The Month is October
View attachment 1533734

The autumn trees begin to bloom their crimson red color, letting you know fall is here. There is no better way to get your cooler weather fall on, then to go with some fall scented shave soaps. You folks already know that I purchased the Pumpkin Spice last month, so I am ready to go this Halloween, when I want to smell like pumpkin's lol. But, pumpkins are not the only fall scents out there. You could also go with Coniferous, Evergreen, or go Autumn Glory, to really deliver the point home to your face.

But there is a scent that I haven't had a chance to buy until recently, I have only smelled the bath soap sample that was sent to me. Once I determined that I love the scent, it wasn't going to be long before I pampered myself, with this falls luxury, Almond Cream. Sounds delicious does it not?

View attachment 1533736
ORDERED!

But you can't really have the true feeling of the fall cooler weather, unless you apply it to your face. Since I am now calling myself the mentholated junkie, I need to stock up on some mentholated goodness. And @APBinNCA, don't you worry buddy, I will get the mentholated grinder and menthol crystals next time. ;) So, how about the PAA Mentholated Pre-Shave Ice Cube!

View attachment 1533737
ORDERED!

And of course I can't put such intergallactically amazing mentholated pre-shave directly on my counter top, I wasn't raised in a barn folks. Thats right, we do things right here. So we gonna have to get that intergallactic pre-shave cube dock for it too, that way the pre-shave cube gets as pampered as I do!

View attachment 1533741
ORDERED!

You all know that I bought the Stirling Executive Man shave soap months ago, and yes, I really love it. Nothing says executive management, like the scent of an Executive Man. But! But since I only play an executive, I got to lock in that position, ( Just like @FarmerTan does with his Arko ) and get some Executive Man Eau De Toillette!

View attachment 1533742
ORDERED!

Well, thats it for this month, I think, I will let you know when the acquisition disorder wears off. :rolleyes:
Acquisition Order doesn't "wear off" my friend!

I just wet myself from laughing!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

proxy.php
proxy.php

Hello everyone! Long time no see ha? Well, when you have the combination of shipping taking longer then ever now days, and the fact that it took me awhile to test the items, lets just say, my reports a long overdo! OK, what do we got you ask? Stirling Almond Cream shave soap. Stirling Executive Man Calogne. PAA Mentholated Pre-Shave Cube. And PAA Intergalactic Cube Dock!

proxy.php

WOW, what a scent! You like almonds? Well I like almonds too! Now you can smell like almonds while you eat the almonds. :letterk1: So, you folks know the drill, all Stirling soaps perform the same, because they have Tallow, Lanolin, and Shea Butter. The only thing that really changes is the scent you buy. And I really love this scent guys. This scent most closely matches up with Captain Choice's Italia shave soap believe it or not. So if you like Italia, well, your gonna love Almond Creme!

proxy.php

I love cologne, because I like to smell good. And let me tell you something, if you wanna smell good, spray some of this on you! I think that most folks here love the Executive Man scent from Stirling, you know why? Cause it smells like Creed Aventus! Yes, you heard me correctly, the Executive Man scent from Stirling, was inspired by Creed Aventus. So, if you want to boost people's confidence in your decision making, you should wear some of this, as the armor to back you up in meetings.

I really love the scent, and it seems to last as long as most Eau De Toilette's do, roughly about 8-hours. You may want to re-spray in 8-hours if you have a 10 to 14 hour job. Stirling should really offer a Parfume version of this scent, it would be more powerful, and easily last 24-hours. But surveying their site, it appears that they haven't branched off into Parfume grade yet. Still though, I appreciate them carrying this scent. Cause I can tell your right now, I am not paying 500 dollars for a bottle of Creed Aventus!

Projection is not that great with this though, if your in a large room, people may not smell you from the other side, but hmm, cough, that might be a good thing. Nobody wants to smell that guy or lady, who smells like they have bathed in the stuff, so yeah, less is more guys.

proxy.php

The PAA Intergalactic Cube Dock, is a really nice piece of art. When I initially purchased it, I wasn't expecting anything but a cheap piece of plastic, that I just had to have. Believe it or not however, this is not really a cheap piece of plastic. This is a high grade thick piece of ABS plastic I believe it is, that was molded, to have its textured shape. And not only that, you have the drain channels, a strong gripping point, glossy smooth edges, and the bottom of the dock has rubber feet, to keep it from moving on the surface that it is on!

If there ever could be a single sexy platform, to hold your delightful pre-shave cube, this dock would certainly be it! Weather it comes from intergalactic space or not, I couldn't say. But, since I am an astro nerd to the 10th powered squared, I will accept this docks name. Considering how well this holds my pre-shave cube, I'd have to say its quite intergalactically stellarnarious! 🌟

proxy.php

Oh my freaking gosh, do I even have to say it? Well, considering this was my first time using a pre-shave cube, maybe I should, to remove any confusion. If you are on the fence, while the barbed wire is ripping apart your pants, you should totally get off the fence now, and buy this pre-shave. After previously experiencing pre-shaves from both Proraso and Stirling, I started believing that they were never going to work to my satisfaction, and that they were just a waste of money. Considering the overwhelming reviews that these pre-shave cubes get from other's, I decided that I would take a chance.

I am happy to report, that these pre-shave cubes live up to the hype folks! I followed @APBinNCA advice, and I sprayed water on the bottom with my mister bottle, and then I went to town on my face and neck with this cube. I couldn't believe how quickly the soap came off the cube, and applied directly to my face. I hadn't even took my hands or a brush to my face yet, and already the soap was lathering on nicely. I was like, what is this black magic?

I began lathering it with my fingers, and I couldn't believe how slick it was. And then I started feeling the menthol activate more then it was after initial application. My eyes almost teared up but not quite, which means, I am going to give this cube a 6-7 out of 10 for menthol level, which makes me happy, cause I love to feel that menthol, and it smells good too! I see what Aaron was saying now, once lathered up, you could practically shave with this pre-shave alone! But, I didn't feel like testing that, so I applied the Almond Cream soap lather from Stirling after pre-shave application.

My razor of choice for todays shave, was none other then, the Merkur Futur. Yes, I cranked her up to level 6 OMG were gonna die setting! But good news is, this mentholated pre-shave cube from PAA did its job well, kept me nice and slick. Not a single nick or weeper! I followed up with settings 4 and 3 for the XTG and ATG passes, and not even an irritation afterwords. One could say, I had a perfect shave. Considering how amazing I think my PAA mentholated pre-shave cube is, I am a true believer.

And because of that, I got a little artsy with my photo, and its the holy grail on my razor and brush stand. You like? I sure know that I do. Wait, as Willy Wanka would say, scratch that, reverse it. I love it! 😍

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hello everyone, in an effort to get my stock up on some stuff, and provide me greater variety, this is what I just ordered...

Bic Chrome Platinum blades
View attachment 1433311

Decent blades IIRC. Not the bees knees but will do the trick.

Thayers Lemon Which Hazel
View attachment 1433313

Unnecessary

Proraso GREEN Shave Soap
View attachment 1433316

Proraso WHITE Shave Soap
View attachment 1433318

Same soap, different scent.

Unnecessary

Pretty darn good. Got a bottle myself.

Catie's Bubbles Le Piment De La Vie Shave Soap
View attachment 1433324

Catie's Bubbles Tonsorium Shaving Soap
View attachment 1433325

Stirling Black Cherry Shaving Soap
View attachment 1433327

Never used, never used, never used.

Well, I think I covered everything lol. For me, this is a lot of soap, combined with what I already have now. I could go bankrupt trying to buy every artisan shave soap there is in the world, but I am not going to do that. This will be enough soap to last me, well, who knows how long!

Everybody talks about Whitch Hazel stuff too on this site, and I know I will love a lemon scented one. Plus, I want to try out Proraso's aftershave balm and pre-shave stuff, hope its good. Alright, what you guys think about my purchases today? Anybody approve? Opinions? What do you guys enjoy?

Well those are my opinions. But you should form your own of course. And yes…you can definitely go bankrupt trying soap. I‘ve tried countless soaps and aftershaves. But to be honest…it will be the most enjoyable bankruptcy you could experience.

Top Bottom