What's new

I Just Ordered A Bunch Of Shaving Supplies - Opinions?

Attachments

• 81EAE419-7441-44D9-91A8-15E1EAE8FF85.jpeg
    81EAE419-7441-44D9-91A8-15E1EAE8FF85.jpeg
    688.5 KB · Views: 6

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Ohhhh @FarmerTan I say ohhhh @FarmerTan Come here please, stop looking at yourself in the mirror, we all know your handsome, I wanna show you something. Your crown is straight, trust me, its fine, now come here and look at this...

proxy.php

Recognize these? Good, cause you sent them to me. 😁

Sooooo, on the left side, we have Pure & Gentle soap. I never heard of that brand, but my new friend Dave says, he uses it for a pre-shave. And on the right side is something genius. If you look close, you might recognize whats hiding inside the tube. Here I was, asking myself, what am I gonna do once I open that Arko shave stick, where do I put it afterwords? And Dave being the nice guy that he is, he already solved that problem for me, using these pill container is absolutely genius!

proxy.php

Here is a lovely picture I took of the Arko stick. I hope that Dave approves. Now, as you can well imagine, when I cracked open that container, and took a sniff, the scent hit me strong, and now I finally know, what Arko smells like. Yes, finally, the mysteries of the Arko universe have been revealed to me! I don't smell urinals, or urinal cakes.

I smell citrus, with a heavy sort of chemical smell along with it, some say citronella? I felt like, if I kept sniffing it, I might get high. Well, just wait, I haven't used it to shave with yet, so that may still happen in the coming days ahead. I want to thank Dave for his amazing generosity, it was such a nice thing he did to send this to me.

I'm now officially a member of the Arko brotherin, in Dave's Arkoland. I can only hope that I enjoy this shave soap. Because I know that if I do, its gonna open a whole new world to cost affordable soaps, with powerful impacts. Lets just hope I don't pass out. I can't say enough how much of a gentlemen that Dave is, I don't take this gift for granted.

I am eternally grateful, thy magesty, the Arkoland king.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That glycerin soap is a good body soap too.

We put a water softener system in our house about 3 or 4 years ago and they gave us 5 years worth of liquid soaps. For a family of 20, lol.

Laundry soap, liquid hand soap, liquid dishwashing soap, body shampoo, a separate hair shampoo, glycerin bar soap, oatmeal bar soap.... I guess they really wanted to sell me that water softener, ha!

Plus I bought an air purifier I thought was free, which my lovely best friend and favorite wife let me know after the fact was NOT free. But my lungs have thanked me for it.

I just have to call the soap company once a year and get my soap we have no room or need for, lol. It is good stuff, some company out of Texas, they brag about purity. I love the stuff. I can order it unscented or in about 12 different scents, none of them overpowering.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
And..... I must admit: I am sorry I never put a water softener in years ago. Only drawback is that the water feels slimy because it's no longer hard. I feel like I still have soap on my body or hair so it takes twice as long to rinse off!

Hey SWCT, its been a while since I checked in with you!!

Previously in this thread I brought up brushes!! ( You might be able to tell, I suffer from SBAD!! )

You have an awesome selection of razors! You are really enjoying soaps, so I am thinking to get more out of your soap purchases you may want to add a boar brush or a two band badger brush or a few of each!!!

As you can tell, I am stirring the pot a little here so feel free to tell me to go pound salt and I will be out of your hair :c1:.

I will leave you with a picture of the red white and blue!! ( Red handle, white boar bristles, blue handle )
I should have posted this last Monday!

IMG_20220710_192538.jpg

My photographic skills are not where yours are!! lol

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

@FarmerTan Your generosity means a lot to me however, and because of it, I am updating this post to reflect the experience I just had with Arko, as I didn't want to leave you hanging.

I decided to do a shave with my 1959 Gillette Fatboy razor, using a brand new Wizamet blade, and I got to use a shave stick for the first time, so it was a learning experience. I peeled back the tinfoil, just to reveal about 1/4" of the shave stick, then I washed my face, then I began rubbing the stick on my face. I soaked my Maseto Avatar 2-band Silver Tipped Badger brush in water, then shaked it out a couple times, then went to town on my face.

As it was my first time using a shaving stick ever, I learned that Arko requires a good amount of water, as its a thirsty soap, and once I got enough water on my face with the brush, I was able to get the Arko to lather really nicely on my face and neck. And what was cool, is I only had to use the stick a couple of times, because my brush held so much of the Arko within it!

IMO, once you get enough water in the lather, then Arko becomes so slick, I thought it was Tabac for a moment, performance wise. And yes, I did use Stirling's Executive messy oil based pre-shave oil prior to Arko application. And Arko's scent is so strong, it completely covered up the Executive Man, but you will be happy to know, I didn't pass out from getting high off Arko.

So yeah, I was able to achieve a 3-pass shave, Arko's performance for the win, and it didn't take long to get used to Arko's powerful scent, I almost feel like I've been converted. I finished the shave by using some Stirling Spearmint aftershave splash, I have a 100% BBS shave. Thanks again Dave for your gift! Now that I know that I like Arko, I can buy more sticks of that when this one runs out.

But on my next shave, I have one other stick I need to try out too, and thats the Speick stick, so I will be of course using that, and I am sure that I will like it too, its got a good scent to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Any updates from Starfleet? Chris / @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker in cloaking mode?

I will de-cloak for a moment to bring the forum a host of supply updates, and then I am going to re-cloak again. This is going to be quite a haul, so enjoy your cup of coffee, while you gaze upon the pictures, that bring warmth to your soul. :)

Stirling Black Cherry was the first shave soap from Stirling that I ever got, and of course, still have, and still love. And those Halls Cherry drops are pretty good too, nobody can deny.

For those who are interested, I recently got a chance to watch an awesome video from Stirling, and I highly recommend that others watch it, for both the education, and the entertainment factor of things.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Pinaud Clubman Classic Aftershave Splash!
proxy.php

Smells like Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel, with just a dash of Barbershop scent.

Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk Aftershave Splash!
IMG_3977.JPG

This is a definite citrus scent, and you get a solid dose of the musk. When you put this on, it gives one so much confidence, you walk around like a rooster who runs the roost.

Pinaud Clubman Vanilla Aftershave Splash!
proxy.php

I was too lazy to take it out of the box before taking the picture, just one of those days I guess. I do detect a slight hint of vanilla, but its not a strong scent. And this aftershave most closely resembles, Old Spice aftershave, at least it does for me. In other words, this aftershave smells good.

If during your shave you ask yourself, why is my skin so dry, or why is my lather drying so fast while its on my face? The answer might be, cause its really hot and your burning up, God knows with this summer heat, my body feels like its baking. Stick a fork in me, (egg timer bell goes ding) I'm done! The most elegant solution to this problem, is one of these nifty devices!

Flairosol Ultra Fine Mist Sprayer Bottle!
proxy.php

This works really well, and it doesn't use an propellants that are not safe for the environment. It uses unique technology, to pressurize the contents of what you put into the bottle, for each press of the trigger, you get a 1 second shot, I like it! Sure you could just splash water on your face, but thats going to make a mess, this is better, at least IMO.

You guys remember that I have Captains Choice Starry Night scuttle that I have right? Well, CC scuttles have a very small lather area, and big brushes just do not work in them at all. A smaller brush is needed, so that one may be able to have the room, to whip up the lather, to your favorite consistency. For me, its like Yogurt. It looks so delicious, it makes me want to consume it. But don't do that guys, don't consume soap, no matter how good it smells. :letterk1:

Presenting the Omega 636 21mm Knot, 51mm Loft Silver Tipped Badger Brush!
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Some people like platinum in their jewelry, I prefer it in my razor blades. Presenting the Gillette Platinum blades!
proxy.php

Stirling missed you, so welcome back!
proxy.php

Iced Coffee Bath Soap, bring on that glacial coffee scent!
proxy.php

Smells Like Coffee Grounds Stored In The Cellar

Iced Coffee Shave Soap
proxy.php

Going by scent alone, I think Stirling's take on coffee scents, to be better then BSG Captain Joe, though still not perfect. But when your closer to coffee grounds, and you throw menthol in it to make it glacial, thats when you slap it on your face, and like Oliver, you say, can I have some more?

Coniferous Shave Soap!
proxy.php

Have you ever took a walk in a forest and took a big sniff? You'd have to get out of your chair and go outside first. But if you did, this scent closely resembles the earthy, cedar, pine like aroma, of the great outdoors. I could have got their Scotts Pine Sheep instead, but I didn't want a scent that was all pine and nothing else. I wanted the full forest scent experience. And if you don't mind earthy scents, this might be the one for you. Just know, its most certainly different!

Stirling's Wintergreen Shave Soap!
proxy.php

Would you like a snowman to throw a snowball in your face? Well, I think you might get your wish with this glacial soap. This one is known as Stirling's most powerful glacial scent. But what was a pleasant surprise for me, is that this particular shave soap, smells just like the lifesaver candies. I totally forgot what Wintergreen smelled like, and I absolutely love the scent!

I'll be trying these new scents over the course of time. Thanks for asking about me. But for my health on this forum, I must re-cloak. Hope you enjoyed this post, as it took some time to compile.

Hello everyone, in an effort to get my stock up on some stuff, and provide me greater variety, this is what I just ordered...

Bic Chrome Platinum blades
View attachment 1433311

Thayers Lemon Which Hazel
View attachment 1433313

Proraso GREEN Shave Soap
View attachment 1433316

Proraso WHITE Shave Soap
View attachment 1433318

Proraso Pre-Shave Cream
View attachment 1433319

Proraso Aftershave Balm
View attachment 1433320

Catie's Bubbles Le Piment De La Vie Shave Soap
View attachment 1433324

Catie's Bubbles Tonsorium Shaving Soap
View attachment 1433325

Stirling Black Cherry Shaving Soap
View attachment 1433327

Well, I think I covered everything lol. For me, this is a lot of soap, combined with what I already have now. I could go bankrupt trying to buy every artisan shave soap there is in the world, but I am not going to do that. This will be enough soap to last me, well, who knows how long!

Everybody talks about Whitch Hazel stuff too on this site, and I know I will love a lemon scented one. Plus, I want to try out Proraso's aftershave balm and pre-shave stuff, hope its good. Alright, what you guys think about my purchases today? Anybody approve? Opinions? What do you guys enjoy?
A nice variety of everything. Well done all around, I'd say.

-Z

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Welcome to September everyone! WOW, it sure seems like last month took forever to be over. You know me, I'm always excited for the next month, because it means more shaving supply purchases can be made. WOOHOO! 🥳 There are going to be multiple updates to this thread, so stay tuned folks. Lets begin the month off with two items, for which I have already used, and have reviews posted on B&B.

Cayuen Dark Nebula Shave Large Bowl!
proxy.php
proxy.php
Review:

Cayuen Dark Nebula 26mm B&W Shave Brush!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Review:

There will be more stuff that will be coming this month once I make the orders, suffice to say, this is going to be one interesting month.

Hello everyone, in an effort to get my stock up on some stuff, and provide me greater variety, this is what I just ordered...

Bic Chrome Platinum blades
View attachment 1433311

Thayers Lemon Which Hazel
View attachment 1433313

Proraso GREEN Shave Soap
View attachment 1433316

Proraso WHITE Shave Soap
View attachment 1433318

Proraso Pre-Shave Cream
View attachment 1433319

Proraso Aftershave Balm
View attachment 1433320

Catie's Bubbles Le Piment De La Vie Shave Soap
View attachment 1433324

Catie's Bubbles Tonsorium Shaving Soap
View attachment 1433325

Stirling Black Cherry Shaving Soap
View attachment 1433327

Well, I think I covered everything lol. For me, this is a lot of soap, combined with what I already have now. I could go bankrupt trying to buy every artisan shave soap there is in the world, but I am not going to do that. This will be enough soap to last me, well, who knows how long!

Everybody talks about Whitch Hazel stuff too on this site, and I know I will love a lemon scented one. Plus, I want to try out Proraso's aftershave balm and pre-shave stuff, hope its good. Alright, what you guys think about my purchases today? Anybody approve? Opinions? What do you guys enjoy?
Bic is a blade o want to try. Thayer is amazing. Proaso i great. Stirling black cherry is absolutely probably the best thing you have. However I have it and live it so I am biased. Haven't tried your other soaps

How do we put this... very sensible purchases! Nothing wrong with any of that except I hope you already love Proraso and CB because committing to more than one each at a time is a bit of a risk. I am not a fan of Proraso, it's fine, I'll keep my comments to my self. I have CB La Terre Vert, love the smell. Have had both for a long time as I found things I loved more. You really should try Haslinger considering how cheap it is so you can try a hard soap. I have nothing useful... :cool:
I personally don't love Prorasso either. I think we are in the minority. If someone does like it, that's great!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Bic is a blade o want to try. Thayer is amazing. Proaso i great. Stirling black cherry is absolutely probably the best thing you have. However I have it and live it so I am biased. Haven't tried your other soaps

Hello Olivia, its great to see you, hope you are doing well!

This thread encompasses most of the shaving supplies that I have ordered, since I started wet shaving. Each page shows you something new I ordered, and the pictures are a whole lotta fun hehe. And I am going to continue adding more to it throughout this month as well. You know acquisition disorder routine, do we have enough? Probably! Are we not satisfied with what we have and think we need more? Definitely! 🤪

The Bic blades are almost as sharp as Feather's. The Bic blades last for more shaves then Feather's however, due to better edge retention. As far as smoothness, Bic blades can smoother then Feather blades, but it really depends on the razor however. I find Wizamet Super Iridium blades to be the smoothest for me so far, but they are as expensive as Feather's & Kai blades.

When I first got into Proraso, I intended on doing a deep dive into it. However, I discovered through experience, the quality of the soaps are about average. They certainly do the job yes. And they are great if you don't wish to spend a lot of money! However, I find that small batch artisans like Stirling, just do a far better job, IMO. YMMV!

I love my Captains Choice Italia shave soap and aftershave, but I just think Scott charges too much for his soaps and aftershaves, so I stopped buying. I fell in love with Stirling soaps, because they are high performance soaps, and you get a heck of a lot of soap for the money. For me, this puts them on top of both Proraso and Captains Choice.

I love all my Stirling shave soaps, but yes, Black Cherry was the first one that I got and I love it. I am waiting on some fall releases so that I can order more this month from Stirling. I am also thinking about trying out their coffee, they are nation wide renowned for their coffee as well, so it must be good, with all those positive reviews they get.

Yes I am biassed too, and I consider Stirilng the best for the money, but as with all things wet shaving, I have to put the YMMV in my message, or people get upset with my opinions.

Top Bottom