What's new

I just inked my first FP with a twist converter.

What a mess!

I've dabbled with my vintage Parker 51 that I got in a PIF after the 2013 Sabbatical and love it, but never used a twist converter.

Recently I rediscovered my fascination with FP's, so picked up a couple of inexpensive Pilot Kakuno (M and EF) to play around with and have been practicing my handwriting and Zentagles to get the feel for them. I have a (m) Pilot VP as well, I've always used cartridges with it.

I received a bottle of Noodlers Black Swan in English Roses from Amazon yesterday, so figured I'd give it a try this morning.

Disassembled it last night, flushed it, washed it, dried it overnight. Watched a Goulet Pen video on how to prime the converter and get the most ink in etc.

It was fun but nothing I'll attempt on the kitchen countertops. It took 3-4 tries to get a decent amount in. The first couple were only 25% full.

I think I did OK in terms of getting the cartridge near capacity, which I know is small, it's the reason I went with the 40.

PXL_20211229_161752288.jpg
PXL_20211229_161647904.jpg

Last edited:
I gave up on almost all converters years ago (for the Japanese manufacturers, the Con-70 is the only decent converter), and just use a blunt tip syringe to do it now. Takes a fraction of the time, no mess, and you can actually fill the cartridge/converter to the brim.

I gave up on almost all converters years ago (for the Japanese manufacturers, the Con-70 is the only decent converter), and just use a blunt tip syringe to do it now. Takes a fraction of the time, no mess, and you can actually fill the cartridge/converter to the brim.
Blunt type syringes are next for me.

Are you filling the converter with the syringe or just using emptied cartridges? Filling the converter was my plan, but haven't really researched it.

Last edited:
Generally, I refill carts because they hold more. But I have a couple of FC converters that I refill by syringe. Same principle. In both cases, just be careful about air bubbles, as that will see ink cascade down the side of the cart/conveter and that is no fun. :p

I concur that the pilot converters beyond the squeeze one that come w the Metropolitans (CON 20?) are more of a PITA than they are worth relative to refilling cartridges with a syringe.

Having said that, absent putting down 3 or 4 paper towels and using 2x “latex” gloves, some ink on the hands, FOR ME, is simply par for the course in my experience based on my re-inking the 15ish pens on my desk every few weeks.

FWIW/YMMV greatly.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have no problem with filling a converter and having little mess. I just leave it in the pen, dunk the nib, twist in/out a few times and call it good. A quick paper towel wipe of the barrel and I'm ready to go. My finger never get inked unless I brush them across the top of the bottle while holding the pen.

Where does the "messy" part come in?

That said, congrats on filling the pen! Maybe you can post a pic of writing so we can see the color on paper?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Not sure why the big mess either. I take the section out of the pen leaving the converter in place, dip the nib/feed in the ink, twist the converter knob back and forth a couple times while submerged, pull it out for a quick wipe. Converter pens do take three hands if you don't have a secure spot to rest the open bottle!

I do hate the Noodlers bottles (usually filled to the very brim and too deep) and their inks seem to be some of the messiest to clean up. I do not use them any longer.

Not sure why the big mess either. I take the section out of the pen leaving the converter in place, dip the nib/feed in the ink, twist the converter knob back and forth a couple times while submerged, pull it out for a quick wipe. Converter pens do take three hands if you don't have a secure spot to rest the open bottle!

I do hate the Noodlers bottles (usually filled to the very brim and too deep) and their inks seem to be some of the messiest to clean up. I do not use them any longer.
Same-same, on all counts.

The mess comes comes from it being my first time. I tried the purge and let air out method, over purged and some Ink would come out. It took a few times before I figured everything out.

I'm sure it'll get easier and cleaner as time goes on.

As for the ink, yup....they are filled to the brim. Easily accessible for me in Canada, so figured I would give a few Noodler's a try and I had to start somewhere.

This one ended up a freebie bottle as it came leaking and Amazon refunded my full purchase price.

Last edited:
The mess comes comes from it being my first time. I tried the purge and let air out method, over purged and some Ink would come out. It took a few times before I figured everything out.

I'm sure it'll get easier and cleaner as time goes on.

As for the ink, yup....they are filled to the brim. Easily accessible for me in Canada, so figured I would give a few Noodlers a try.
I'm sure you're right - I've definitely gotten more comfortable (and less prone to mess) as I've gotten used to filling pens. It's something to look forward to!

If you can get Diamine inks, give them a try (if you haven't already - it sounds like you're coming back to pens rather than being new). For me, Diamine is a step (or two) up from Noodler's, though any ink that flows well, writes well and comes in a color you love is just fine because, you know, YMMV. I just find Diamine to work better for me, and I'm currently really enjoying the Green-Black and Writer's Blood colors. :)

Still looking forward to seeing a sample of your writing with the color. ;)

I'm sure you're right - I've definitely gotten more comfortable (and less prone to mess) as I've gotten used to filling pens. It's something to look forward to!

If you can get Diamine inks, give them a try (if you haven't already - it sounds like you're coming back to pens rather than being new). For me, Diamine is a step (or two) up from Noodler's, though any ink that flows well, writes well and comes in a color you love is just fine because, you know, YMMV. I just find Diamine to work better for me, and I'm currently really enjoying the Green-Black and Writer's Blood colors. :)

Still looking forward to seeing a sample of your writing with the color. ;)
On cheap notepad, everyday, Walmart type pad.
PXL_20211230_040308651.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My first thought was … crime scene? Ha ha
But I’m in a fountain pen glass house so I won’t throw stones. I plan on some mess and even when I make it out clean I still get some ink on
My fingers. I’m tempted to try the syringe I have some but it’s about thing to clean.

Thanks for sharing - that’s a lovely red!
I'm quite happy with it. I have nothing to compare it to besides the Pilot red cartridges and it's a whole lot nicer than the generic red.

Ordered up some 5ml blunt tip syringes and a bulb syringe today. Should help my filling, even if it's just to use in empty cartridges.

I took a look at the Diamine inks....impressive selection, prices and sizes. I have a few in my wish list. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don’t think one can ever get a full fill in a converter on a single try. The feed will fill with ink as you screw the converter up and so you will have space in the converter reflecting that. If you do one twist fill, then expel the ink and twist fill again you will nearly fill the converter.

I personally don’t think it’s worth the effort and possible mess to try to fill that last little bit your converter is showing as empty. Back when a person might go through an entire fill in one or two days because they had to write so much a full-as-possible converter might have been more important. I just fill a new pen whenever I need more.

I do have far too many pens and inks (in some people’s misguided opinion) and like to switch frequently. So a completely full converter slows me down.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The Pilot Con-40 is one of the worst converters out there. Platinum's piston converter is much better. Of course, you can't use a Platinum converter in a Pilot pen. I do believe that the Pilot Con-70 will fit in a Kakuno; I would use that one or just refill cartridges with the syringe. The Con-70 is not my favorite, but at least it works okay and holds a lot of ink.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I'm quite happy with it. I have nothing to compare it to besides the Pilot red cartridges and it's a whole lot nicer than the generic red.

Ordered up some 5ml blunt tip syringes and a bulb syringe today. Should help my filling, even if it's just to use in empty cartridges.

I took a look at the Diamine inks....impressive selection, prices and sizes. I have a few in my wish list. Thanks for the suggestion.
Speaking of a mess. A word of caution about Diamine smaller bottles. I couldn’t fit the nib when negotiating it and kept trying until guess what.

That is a great red you posted.

Converters are the way to go, cleaner and more ink but, get an Ink Miser and a syringe with blunt needle. Syringes are cleaner and more precise than the pipette, (I like to mix inks). Fill the Miser with the syringe and draw the ink into the converter with the nib in place. You can fill the converter with the syringe, but I find that messier.

Just draw up the ink with the converter the clear miser allows you to see exactly where the nib is and keep your fingers clean if you keep the rim clean. Then blot the excess from the nib, (get some half sheet paper towels, great for honing also) and carefully purge excess air from the converter.

I use the free-sanding, clear model Miser with base because I have several ink brand and bottles, the Noodlers Miser that remains in the bottle, is messier because once you invert the bottle to fill the in place miser, ink get all over the miser and rim and will get on your section and fingers.

You can also buy vintage Montblanc or Scrip ink bottles at Antique Stores for $2-5, they have a built in ink filling reservoir, and fill with favorite inks, a proper sized o ring will seal old lids nicely. Or buy Monblanc ink, love the Black and Ruby Red, about $20.

You will get ink on your fingers, liquid dish soap and scotch brite scrubbing sponge will get it all off.

Love the Noodlers inks.

InkMiser-Inkwell-Clear_Inkwell__92067.1620844239.jpg
vintage-montblanc-ruby-red-ink-bottle.jpg
mbbottle.jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg

Top Bottom