What's new

I just had to try the legend

Having heard so much about them, I just had to try the legendary Graham-Fields Prep blade. Thanks to Jaidmaster for the PIF.

Day 1: Gillette Slim Adjustable (1963 I1), Pacific Shaving Natural Cream, Semogue 830
My first impression is that it's not a very good blade, but nowhere as bad as I'd been expecting. That's in a Slim at 5 WTG & XTG, then opened up to 7 ATG. Because I forgot to dig out Slick Willy before my wife went to sleep, I settled for Pacific Shaving Natural, so I didn't even use my best soap. It felt harsh, but I still got my usual DFS around the Adam's apple & BBS elsewhere.

Day 2: Rockwell 6S - Plate 6, Nivea Men Moisturizing Cream, Maggard 20mm synthetic
Today's shave on plate 6 was DFS around the Adam's apple, BBS elsewhere, although I admit the DFS patch was a bit larger than usual. There were no nicks or weepers, and the alum was totally sting free. The blade was a bit tuggier than usual, but nothing extreme. I declined to chase the baby. As I type this, about nine hours after the shave, I'm still feeling a CCS.

Day 3: Schick Krona, Col. Conk Almond, Omega 10049
The GF was definitely tuggy today, and I could only get a CCS- out of it, even with 3 passes and a little buffing. I'm binning it after this shave. No nicks, weepers or irritation, and it wasn't pulling the hair out by the roots like a Flying Eagle blade, it just wasn't cutting it.

Conclusion:
After testing this blade in both vintage and modern razors, both aggressive and mild, I'm underwhelmed. Graham-Field has earned its bad reputation on this forum. This blade is mediocre at best, although not nearly the horror that the Flying Eagle blade was, at least not on my face.

Sharpness 4/10
Smoothness 4/10
Overall 4/10

I'm impressed. After the blade plucked the whiskers from one side of my face I was unable to continue. Maybe you got the oddball decent blade :001_302:

I'm impressed. After the blade plucked the whiskers from one side of my face I was unable to continue. Maybe you got the oddball decent blade :001_302:

Jaidmaster tells me that some have managed to make it work, mostly those who shave daily, like me. There are all the usual variables: sample variation, coarseness and length of beard, lather, angle of attack, skin sensitivity, etc. Maybe I just got lucky. Now if I'd started with the day three shave, I might have bailed there.

@lancre I'm a daily shaver, or was when I tried them. I skip weekends now. I've only found 2 blades that I can't use, those and Crystal. Perhaps they just don't work in my de86 but I'm not willing to try either again in a different razor. A few have managed to get TBFH to work but for the most part, their reputation is well deserved. Congrats on being one of the few.

@lancre I'm a daily shaver, or was when I tried them. I skip weekends now. I've only found 2 blades that I can't use, those and Crystal. Perhaps they just don't work in my de86 but I'm not willing to try either again in a different razor. A few have managed to get TBFH to work but for the most part, their reputation is well deserved. Congrats on being one of the few.

Interesting, I tried the Crystal right after the Flying Eagle. Thought it was a decent blade for the first 2 days, then it went over the edge.

I PIF'd the rest of the Crystals to a member here who they worked well for. They raked and plucked on me, and were by far the worst blade I tried until having the misfortune of using TBFH. In fact, those are the only 2 blades of 25-30 I've tried that I don't get my usual dfs+ shave with.

I've tried said blade before very tuggy but nothing too bad for me at least, welcome to the club or for being a fellow victim :w00t:

Congrats lancre, three shaves is impressive. I lasted one stroke before I binned it, more of a torture device than a razor blade.

I still need to try one of these in a different razor. Was painful/terrible in the R41. I think I have 3 left. Will give it another try and see how it compares to the Lan Fei blade I tried recently.
Thanks for the review!

I still need to try one of these in a different razor. Was painful/terrible in the R41. I think I have 3 left. Will give it another try and see how it compares to the Lan Fei blade I tried recently.
Thanks for the review!

The R41 is reputed to be more aggressive than any of the three I tried it with (I've never used an R41 so IDK). Try it with a FB or Slim.

After testing this blade in both vintage and modern razors, both aggressive and mild, I'm underwhelmed. Graham-Field has earned its bad reputation on this forum. This blade is mediocre at best
Hence why it is dreaded and not legendary.

Top Bottom