What's new

I Just Got A Hamilton Beach 49987 Coffee Maker!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have a Cuisinart drip coffee maker... around $99 or so... and a decent burr mill grinder.. hmmm let me look: I forgot, it's a Cuisinart DBM-8 Burr Mill @ $60.

Both are good enough for me.

I think our son's coffee machine was around $700... so not one of those commercial machines that cost thousands.

Yes, this was the coffee grinder I was looking at the other day.

1654223246834.png

I'd probably get this one cause its more affordable. But I would probably only get it, when the B&B portable grinder dies. Its already lasted many years now surprisingly. But I do admit, it will be nice when I can just simply set the grind, and then it grinds it at the medium level perfectly every time, that would be nice.

Although, you can clearly tell by the picture, it grinds way more coffee grounds then what would be needed. Look at the size of that output reservoir! Thats enough coffee grounds to make what 3 12-cup pots of coffee! How many cups of coffee does that actually make for you Kim, with that grinder full of grounds like that?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

View attachment 1466152

I'd probably get this one cause its more affordable. But I would probably only get it, when the B&B portable grinder dies. Its already lasted many years now surprisingly. But I do admit, it will be nice when I can just simply set the grind, and then it grinds it at the medium level perfectly every time, that would be nice.

Although, you can clearly tell by the picture, it grinds way more coffee grounds then what would be needed. Look at the size of that output reservoir! Thats enough coffee grounds to make what 3 12-cup pots of coffee! How many cups of coffee does that actually make for you Kim, with that grinder full of grounds like that?
I've never kept track. I just fill it when it's empty. I like coffee in between the settings though... 6 is too weak... 8 is too strong.. there is no 7.. so I run it at 6... turn it back on and count slowly to 6... that seems perfect for me. And I run it just like the photo... just to the left of medium for a drip coffee machine. Our old grinder was one of those spin blade types.. the coffee was always very hot after grinding. A Krups, I think it was. Yep: https://www.amazon.com/KrupsKRUPS-Grinder1500813248-Coffee-Grinder-Blade/dp/B07ND5CC7R/

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I've never kept track. I just fill it when it's empty. I like coffee in between the settings though... 6 is too weak... 8 is too strong.. there is no 7.. so I run it at 6... turn it back on and count slowly to 6... that seems perfect for me. And I run it just like the photo... just to the left of medium for a drip coffee machine. Our old grinder was one of those spin blade types.. the coffee was always very hot after grinding. A Krups, I think it was. Yep: https://www.amazon.com/KrupsKRUPS-Grinder1500813248-Coffee-Grinder-Blade/dp/B07ND5CC7R/

Thats like the kind I have Kim! My B&D unit looks slightly different from what they sell now, but its really just a refresh of the same product. So this share is accurate enough!

1654224151409.png

That is THE most recommended intro burr grinder, I know several people with them. It doesn't go fine enough for espresso, but you don't care about that. It's smaller than you think. You can do better within a 100 spot, but that get's you two of these! Cough, Baratza Encore, Cough, fully rebuildable, cough, dusty in here!
My B&D unit looks slightly different from what they sell now, but its really just a refresh of the same product.
A bit of a tip: there is method for optimising how you use a chop grinder, something like inverted shake method. I have been using it for years, it produces a more even grind size. When done correctly, what it does is create a circular flow of grounds from the lid to the blade. You basically time your pulsed grinding with the shake and you can actually see it happening when you get it right. Just keep a tight grip on the lid!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That is THE most recommended intro burr grinder, I know several people with them. It doesn't go fine enough for espresso, but you don't care about that. It's smaller than you think. You can do better within a 100 spot, but that get's you two of these! Cough, Baratza Encore, Cough, fully rebuildable, cough, dusty in here!

A bit of a tip: there is method for optimising how you use a chop grinder, something like inverted shake method. I have been using it for years, it produces a more even grind size. When done correctly, what it does is create a circular flow of grounds from the lid to the blade. You basically time your pulsed grinding with the shake and you can actually see it happening when you get it right. Just keep a tight grip on the lid!
the Baratza Encore is lovely but a bit out of my coffee price range. We don't make espresso so we don't need the fine grind.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I am with Kim on this one, far out of my price range, don't need anything that fancy. Infact, I am pretty sure I've seen a coffee shop video on Youtube, where somebody had that very grinder in their shop, probably cause it was quality enough to be used in the shop, even though it wasn't made of stainless steel.

The Cuisinart D8 whatever its called is plenty good enough for me, if, and when, I am forced to get it. I think having a mix of grind your own coffee beans, and already grounded for you, good for in your life. Each have their qualities. The one thing I like about the D8, is that it has automatic function, you don't have to keep holding down a button.

But oh my lord is that grinder loud. I just finished watching a video from Just A Dad, who is well known for doing coffee video's, and I am wearing base canon set of cans you see, and when he hit that button, I thought I was gonna blow out my ears. Its like, grab that volume knob, turn it down, wooo doggy, she likes to make her presence known in the house when she is on, screamer for sure!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am with Kim on this one, far out of my price range, don't need anything that fancy. Infact, I am pretty sure I've seen a coffee shop video on Youtube, where somebody had that very grinder in their shop, probably cause it was quality enough to be used in the shop, even though it wasn't made of stainless steel.

The Cuisinart D8 whatever its called is plenty good enough for me, if, and when, I am forced to get it. I think having a mix of grind your own coffee beans, and already grounded for you, good for in your life. Each have their qualities. The one thing I like about the D8, is that it has automatic function, you don't have to keep holding down a button.

But oh my lord is that grinder loud. I just finished watching a video from Just A Dad, who is well known for doing coffee video's, and I am wearing base canon set of cans you see, and when he hit that button, I thought I was gonna blow out my ears. Its like, grab that volume knob, turn it down, wooo doggy, she likes to make her presence known in the house when she is on, screamer for sure!
That is a negative, to be sure... but you don't have to stay in the same room unless you have to add some like I do.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Completely understandable, however by first Baratza still works perfectly after 12 years. And two full rebuilds by myself, original motor and casing still. I have upgraded a bit though... :devil:
Yeah... they are amazing. But I'm old... just turned 69... if I have to buy one more Cuisinart before I die... I'll still have hundreds. <eg>

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

That is a negative, to be sure... but you don't have to stay in the same room unless you have to add some like I do.

Maybe I should invent a robot that will do it for me, then it would be completely automated. I could really validate my couch potato lifestyle then! 😝 Naa, it wouldn't be as much fun!

Completely understandable, however by first Baratza still works perfectly after 12 years. And two full rebuilds by myself, original motor and casing still. I have upgraded a bit though... :devil:

Your story about rebuilding your Baratza grinder, reminds of quality power tools that are rebuildable. My last quality tool purchase, is a Steinel HL2020E heat gun, its a German tool, its fancy like your grinder, and its gorgeous looking, well, for a power tool anyways lol.

proxy.php

___________________________________________________________________________________

Good Morning Coffee Lovers!
proxy.php

So, I just wanted to quickly update everyone, I discovered another way to make my coffee strong, but use less grounds. You folks recall when I made my first cup with this brewer, I filled the grounds to the MAX line in the scoop, and hit that BOLD button. It made my coffee so strong, I felt like I was about to go on a cleanse.

The last time I made a cup, I filled the scoop to 1/8 of an inch bellow the MAX fill line, and brewed a standard cup. But, I suddenly felt that the strength of the coffee, was a tad on the weak side, with that amount of grounds. So just now, I brewed a cup, filled the scoop to 1/8 of an inch bellow the MAX fill line again, but this time, I turned on the BOLD button.

I will have you know, that made the machine brew the perfect strength of coffee, and I managed to do it, using the least amount of grounds necessary. Considering the cost of this coffee per bag, that is what I call a savings. Delicious flavor secured! And getting the most out of my coffee grounds. Yes sir!

Master chief likes his brew strong. But if you ask Mando how he feels about the way that I am brewing my coffee now. He responds with this...

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

SWCT takes another sip of coffee. Oh yes, that is mighty fine delicious coffee, if I don't say so myself! :tongue_sm

Your story about rebuilding your Baratza grinder, reminds of quality power tools that are rebuildable. My last quality tool purchase, is a Steinel HL2020E heat gun, its a German tool, its fancy like your grinder, and its gorgeous looking, well, for a power tool anyways lol.

proxy.php
:001_tt1: I love all things German when it comes to tools! I could be jealous of this or I could tell you about my hairdryer... :lol:

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker i was never allowed to touch let alone operate these things. most vividly i remember his stirrer. i dont know why but it felt so professional (prob partly bc it just was, but partly bc the fruit drinks it/he magically produced were just so delicious and refreshing i never had anywhere close the whole year, but just when he made them - so it was like a christmas moment really), it was bold, mega heavy and cold to touch since it was built from god knows what metal components like a tank.
i was allowed only to watch when adults flicked the switch on, well in fact is was only my grampa anyways hehe. i think thats what made the memory - this massive thing, the out of this world drink and his authority. this thing had one switch and one purpose. to stir. thats it. funny in these 8in1 times nowadays. 30+ kilos or something, well, and it stirs.
12345.jpg

his wasnt red, it was grey. i think it was always hot when plugged and switched on and started like crazy when the cup touched some kind of pressure sensor.

regarding grinder:
if you are into nice well built lifetime tools maybe keep an eye on brands like mazzer or macap and snatch them up for cheap with restaurant/coffe shop insolvencies or simply second hand. dont know the american market but in euro you can get these relatively often (honestly all the time) for less than 200. they are highly highly serviceable down to the last screw and will outlast all of us in home use no matter the age. there are always for example some mazzer super jollys around on 2nd hand platforms if you are into such things.
a pro once told me that grinders are more important than the coffee machine itself - regarding taste of the actual drink. good luck man.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker i was never allowed to touch let alone operate these things. most vividly i remember his stirrer. i dont know why but it felt so professional (prob partly bc it just was, but partly bc the fruit drinks it/he magically produced were just so delicious and refreshing i never had anywhere close the whole year, but just when he made them - so it was like a christmas moment really), it was bold, mega heavy and cold to touch since it was built from god knows what metal components like a tank.
i was allowed only to watch when adults flicked the switch on, well in fact is was only my grampa anyways hehe. i think thats what made the memory - this massive thing, the out of this world drink and his authority. this thing had one switch and one purpose. to stir. thats it. funny in these 8in1 times nowadays. 30+ kilos or something, well, and it stirs.
View attachment 1472026
his wasnt red, it was grey. i think it was always hot when plugged and switched on and started like crazy when the cup touched some kind of pressure sensor.

regarding grinder:
if you are into nice well built lifetime tools maybe keep an eye on brands like mazzer or macap and snatch them up for cheap with restaurant/coffe shop insolvencies or simply second hand. dont know the american market but in euro you can get these relatively often (honestly all the time) for less than 200. they are highly highly serviceable down to the last screw and will outlast all of us in home use no matter the age. there are always for example some mazzer super jollys around on 2nd hand platforms if you are into such things.
a pro once told me that grinders are more important than the coffee machine itself - regarding taste of the actual drink. good luck man.

Thank you for sharing your childhood story with me, I love it when drink machines bring us such fond memories of our pasts. Food can do this as well, and I am not a fancy eater, so imagine that one time I got to have lobster at a lobster house, I was beside myself lol. In another thread in the Cafe, someone had mentioned, how a grinder is also very important, for how the flavor comes out.

I am not a super fancy person, so I don't do no espresso machines, and don't really need a fancy grinder. Having said that however, I do have plans to replace my grinder eventually, with one of those Cuisanart ones, the D8 I think its called, basically, best seller on Amazon. In the American market, people tend to overcharge for used goods around here.

Sometimes you can find neat stuff in antique stores, but again, many antiques are also viewed as collectibles, antique shops know this, and will charge accordingly. Anyways, nothing like a nice cold thick drink to make you smile am I right? HEHE! I am guessing that fast food chains that serve cold shake drinks, wouldn't compare to your experience with that machine!

View attachment 1472026

regarding grinder:
I know it's off topic and I am not sure why you posted this machine, but... I have actually used the single version. Back in my teens when I basically ran a fast food restaurant and worked undeclared hours.

Those three metal things near the top behind the shafts are actually switches. You use the rim of a mixer cup to push up and either pulse or run it continuous. If you need to run it a while on continuous, you push up high enough and rest the cup on the other metal things below. Used as intended the triple mixer is a bit crazy to manage, but highly entertaining to watch others try! Basically you pulse the first one then put it on continuos. Then you repeat with the second one while the first one is still going. Then the third! You have to move quickly and get the first off before it is over mixed, but you can't relax as you have two more still going! Generally, it's easier to go 1, 2, 1, 3, 2, 3 etc.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
View attachment 1472026

regarding grinder:

:eek2: Thought I saw one of Dr. Who's Daleks for a second ...

proxy.php

AA

don't really need a fancy grinder...
all good, just thought that i throw it in here since grinders were mentioned and you get alot of a professional grinder that will outlast/outperform everything in similar pricerange by a wide margin while beautiful to look at and to operate. if motor isnt bad (talking second hand here - and these motors are heavyly oversized for the task so they take quite a bit of milage) there is basically nothing that can break it or is unfixable.
new replacement oem burrs go for ±30 and are graded for few hundred kilos (!) of coffee till they show signs of dullness and 'need' replacement - thats prob decades maybe lifetime for average home users.

how a grinder is also very important, for how the flavor comes out
yup, i agree with this fella. coffee machine itself is (should) be just very linear to a degree of almost transparency. and at the end of the day when we talk about espresso for example, 9bar pressure is 9bar pressure and 90°c brewing temp is 90°c brewing temp no matter the brand that built the thing delivering these parameters.

with grinding its different since the burrs and the construction design (heat distribution, rotation speed, burr design pattern, etc, well and in 2nd order significance the build tolerances of these parts ofc) are directly responsible for the mix in size distribution of the ground good. different particle size distribution extract different flavors at 9bar/90°. by that, different coffee grinders taste vastly more different than different coffee machines, in a nutshell.
you just cant tell somebody who wants to buy a 'good/nice/new' coffee machine that he should buy a 'good' grinder instead or that its wise to allocate the overall budget very differently than planned. thats counter intuitive for most simply bc the coffee machine makes the coffee. well, yes and no.
without a doubt its a good dose of nerdyness combined with 1st world problems but thats how it is.

In the American market, people tend to overcharge for used goods around here...Sometimes you can find neat stuff in antique stores, but again, many antiques are also viewed as collectibles, antique shops know this, and will charge accordingly.
understood, then the route i opened doesnt make much sense to be honest. if for unknown reasons one is still lucky to find and snatch one up 'cheap' - it'll make most sense (imho) of all available variants soley from a cost-input-quality-output pov and its prob not even close, if kitchen configuration allows such bulky tool besides personal aestethic preferences ofc.

imagine that one time I got to have lobster at a lobster house, I was beside myself lol
:001_tt1::thumbup1:
:thumbup:

So, I went ahead and bought the Hamilton Beach "The Scoop" coffee maker recommended by @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker. My wife's Keurig kept clogging and started to drip despite numerous cleanings. For my coffee I normally did a pour-over or made it in my Aeropress. I thought maybe we could get one machine for the both of us and we got tired of paying for the little pods.

I have to say the machine isn't bad. I read the instructions and it recommended a tablespoon and a half for an 8 oz cup. I found that the 1/8 cup, 30ml, measurer that I use for pour-over works about right for us.

I thought I would have to get a medium roast blend for her but she loves the coffee made with my usual Trader Joe's Sumatra beans. I don't mind paying for the better beans except that it took me so long to use up a bag that buying 2-3 pounds online didn't make sense. It got stale before I could use it up. As for me, the coffee is decent but perhaps not as good as I made it with the cone filter. I have the Cuisinart grinder, mentioned above, and I find it lets through a lot of fine powder that a paper filter removes but passes through the mesh filter in the Hamilton Beach unit.

I still use it for both of us because it's so darn convenient but maybe once in a while I'll do a pour-over or an Aeropress latte.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

So, I went ahead and bought the Hamilton Beach "The Scoop" coffee maker recommended by @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker. My wife's Keurig kept clogging and started to drip despite numerous cleanings. For my coffee I normally did a pour-over or made it in my Aeropress. I thought maybe we could get one machine for the both of us and we got tired of paying for the little pods.

I have to say the machine isn't bad. I read the instructions and it recommended a tablespoon and a half for an 8 oz cup. I found that the 1/8 cup, 30ml, measurer that I use for pour-over works about right for us.

I thought I would have to get a medium roast blend for her but she loves the coffee made with my usual Trader Joe's Sumatra beans. I don't mind paying for the better beans except that it took me so long to use up a bag that buying 2-3 pounds online didn't make sense. It got stale before I could use it up. As for me, the coffee is decent but perhaps not as good as I made it with the cone filter. I have the Cuisinart grinder, mentioned above, and I find it lets through a lot of fine powder that a paper filter removes but passes through the mesh filter in the Hamilton Beach unit.

I still use it for both of us because it's so darn convenient but maybe once in a while I'll do a pour-over or an Aeropress latte.

See, what did I tell you? Its an awesome coffee brewer isn't it? And I discovered I can make iced coffee with it as well, although thats a bit more involved, and I am learning as I go with that. I use a Captains Choice 16OZ mug, and a Yeti 30OZ tumbler, so I always brew 14OZ, and I just fill to the MAX fill line, or just 1/16 of an inch bellow it, for my coffee grounds. You can use both low end or high end coffee grounds in this, making sure to use a medium grind, but it will excell with the high end stuff as far as flavor.

Regarding the issue you have, this is why it uses 2-stage filtration. You could of course use a paper filter, if you were to cut one to size I am sure. But always remember, paper filters will alter the flavor of the coffee. You wouldn't think it would, but I have done multiple coffee brewers worth of testing, between drip, and percolator, and this has always been my findings. I decided to stop being overly sensitive about a few grounds in my coffee, and learned to enjoy paperless filtering.

I am more then pleased, I am truly thankful, that you folks have gotten away from Keurig cups. All one has to do is a Google search, and folks will get a good education on the health related horror's of using Keurig coffee brewers and those K-Cups. So, for even your families health and safety alone, I am grateful you made the switch, thank goodness!

You will never stop enjoying your pour over brewing method, because this is what you have always done for years. Just as I have been enjoying my percolated coffee for years, but that percolator is for making 12-cup pots of coffee. What makes the Hamilton Beach 49987 The Scoop coffee brewer so awesome, is that its amazingly convenient. I 100% agree with you there! Yes, its a drip based brewer, but I can tell you right now, it makes better tasting coffee, then any other drip based brewer I've ever used!

Don't forget to make an order online for some Kirkland Signature 100% Arabica coffee, and run that through your new coffee brewer, I think you will enjoy the rich smooth taste, especially for not even coming from a real high end brand of coffee. IMO, it tastes better then what our local super market sells.

See, what did I tell you? Its an awesome coffee brewer isn't it? And I discovered I can make iced coffee with it as well, although thats a bit more involved, and I am learning as I go with that. I use a Captains Choice 16OZ mug, and a Yeti 30OZ tumbler, so I always brew 14OZ, and I just fill to the MAX fill line, or just 1/16 of an inch bellow it, for my coffee grounds. You can use both low end or high end coffee grounds in this, making sure to use a medium grind, but it will excell with the high end stuff as far as flavor.

Regarding the issue you have, this is why it uses 2-stage filtration. You could of course use a paper filter, if you were to cut one to size I am sure. But always remember, paper filters will alter the flavor of the coffee. You wouldn't think it would, but I have done multiple coffee brewers worth of testing, between drip, and percolator, and this has always been my findings. I decided to stop being overly sensitive about a few grounds in my coffee, and learned to enjoy paperless filtering.

I am more then pleased, I am truly thankful, that you folks have gotten away from Keurig cups. All one has to do is a Google search, and folks will get a good education on the health related horror's of using Keurig coffee brewers and those K-Cups. So, for even your families health and safety alone, I am grateful you made the switch, thank goodness!

You will never stop enjoying your pour over brewing method, because this is what you have always done for years. Just as I have been enjoying my percolated coffee for years, but that percolator is for making 12-cup pots of coffee. What makes the Hamilton Beach 49987 The Scoop coffee brewer so awesome, is that its amazingly convenient. I 100% agree with you there! Yes, its a drip based brewer, but I can tell you right now, it makes better tasting coffee, then any other drip based brewer I've ever used!

Don't forget to make an order online for some Kirkland Signature 100% Arabica coffee, and run that through your new coffee brewer, I think you will enjoy the rich smooth taste, especially for not even coming from a real high end brand of coffee. IMO, it tastes better then what our local super market sells.
Thank you for putting us onto this excellent machine! I'm starting to think that maybe it just tastes different than with a paper filter. The Hamilton Beach's coffee is starting to taste pretty good. One of these days I'll do a comparison.

I might pick up a sack of that Kirkland coffee next time I'm in Costco. If I remember right it came in 2 1/2 pound bags. That's a bit much for me and the missis.

Top Bottom