What's new

I Just Got A 1959 (E-3) Gillette Adjustable Fatboy DE Razor!!! (My Very First Vintage Razor!)

Nice thread on Gillette adjustable razors. I myself do not own one but I do have a 1946-1951 gold plated Gillette Tech a 1951 Tech a 1962 (birth year) Tech and a 1954 TTO.

Here are my 1954 TTO and 1962 Tech razors. I use the '62 Tech as my "daily driver". I love its simplicity and the mild shave it gives me.

20201231-085341.jpg

How did you repaint the numbers? They are so small, it seems that would be difficult to do.

Thanks,
I got some Testors black model paint? Enamel? And dabbed it in with a toothpick so they overflow a little. Let it partially dry and then wiped off the excess. There was a video I watched, I think from razor emporium where they explained how they do just that.

I have a newly acquired E2 1959 FatBoy, and just enjoyed my first shave with this beauty.
First pass WTG and second pass XTG --- both on level 7. A finishing third ATG pass on level 5.
A very similar feel to my A2 1955 Birth Year Super Speed Red Tip. Ahhhhh ! Life is good !
Both razors with my favorite blade ----- the Gillette Nacet.
An incredibly smooth delightful BBS result with absolutely no irritation or weepers. Sublime shaving indeed !

C8530C6D-4E4D-4E4E-9973-81C6573D1834_1_201_a.jpeg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have a newly acquired E2 1959 FatBoy, and just enjoyed my first shave with this beauty.
First pass WTG and second pass XTG --- both on level 7. A finishing third ATG pass on level 5.
A very similar feel to my A2 1955 Birth Year Super Speed Red Tip. Ahhhhh ! Life is good !
Both razors with my favorite blade ----- the Gillette Nacet.
An incredibly smooth delightful BBS result with absolutely no irritation or weepers. Sublime shaving indeed !

View attachment 1529117

Thats awesome dude! I think everybody should have at least 1-Fatboy. You'll wonder how you lived without it. Literally the smoothest shaving adjustable razor, in my arsenal! Even though its less aggressive then modern razors, as you've witnessed, it tends to be quite efficient at levels 5 and up. Level 9 is even high enough to tackle my course whiskers.

A lot of folks have said, that their Fatboy adjustables, are equal to that of a Gillette Red Tip. Which I have been told, is another fine razor. As I do not own a Gillette Red Tip, I am not able to confirm that, only relay the message that everybody seems to say. I am really glad that you love your new Fatboy. I am hoping you are able to have cleaned it up, to make it a little more presentable.

Some people swear by ultra-sonic cleaners, for cleaning razors. That might be an option of you have one. For me, best I can do, is 91% isopropyl alcohol. Very cool, and I thank you for sharing! 😍

OP, that razor looks amazing. Congrats! I have a '61 FB. It shaves great, but the only issue for me is shaving under the nose. I'm tempted to try a slim. I wish mine looks as pretty as you "='59.

Thats awesome dude! I think everybody should have at least 1-Fatboy. You'll wonder how you lived without it. Literally the smoothest shaving adjustable razor, in my arsenal! Even though its less aggressive then modern razors, as you've witnessed, it tends to be quite efficient at levels 5 and up. Level 9 is even high enough to tackle my course whiskers.

A lot of folks have said, that their Fatboy adjustables, are equal to that of a Gillette Red Tip. Which I have been told, is another fine razor. As I do not own a Gillette Red Tip, I am not able to confirm that, only relay the message that everybody seems to say. I am really glad that you love your new Fatboy. I am hoping you are able to have cleaned it up, to make it a little more presentable.

Some people swear by ultra-sonic cleaners, for cleaning razors. That might be an option of you have one. For me, best I can do, is 91% isopropyl alcohol. Very cool, and I thank you for sharing! 😍
I find the Ultrasonic cleaner takes off all the paint in the numbers. Then I have to repeat the repainting exercise described briefly above. The video I watched for painting the numbers was from Razor Emporium.

Top Bottom