What's new

I Just Got A 1959 (E-3) Gillette Adjustable Fatboy DE Razor!!! (My Very First Vintage Razor!)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker, the Fatboy is a gateway drug 😄. It was the first vintage Gillette razor I ever bought. I've been bingeing since. I've lost a precise count of how many vintage Gillette razors I now have, but it's approaching 100. I think I currently have four Fatboys with at least two more on the way. Both of those are super grungy, but I'll get them back into working order, likely for someone else to enjoy. The vast majority of vintage Gillette razors are incredibly well made. Even the original OLD types usually still shave perfectly even when the handle is cracked (which is nearly always).

WOW, you sure do have an impressive vintage collection! I am honestly grateful to just have one Gillette Fatboy. Sinatra Lennon has at least 4 Gillette Fatboys, and 3 of them are in excellent condition, while 1 of them is super grungy, infact so much so, he nicknamed that one, Grampa Grungy lol. And wouldn't you know it, out of all 4, that is the Fatboy he likes to use most often.

Those Old Type razors look pretty neat with the ball on the bottom of the handle, you really pick up on the art deco with those things. Of course all those razors were design for thicker blades I've heard, which I guess that explains why some folks on B&B stockpile vintage blades hehe. So, do you put all your vintage razors on display, or do you just stick them in a drawer?

Hopefully you got them on display, which that alone would up your cool factor hehe 😎

WOW, you sure do have an impressive vintage collection! I am honestly grateful to just have one Gillette Fatboy. Sinatra Lennon has at least 4 Gillette Fatboys, and 3 of them are in excellent condition, while 1 of them is super grungy, infact so much so, he nicknamed that one, Grampa Grungy lol. And wouldn't you know it, out of all 4, that is the Fatboy he likes to use most often.

Those Old Type razors look pretty neat with the ball on the bottom of the handle, you really pick up on the art deco with those things. Of course all those razors were design for thicker blades I've heard, which I guess that explains why some folks on B&B stockpile vintage blades hehe. So, do you put all your vintage razors on display, or do you just stick them in a drawer?

Hopefully you got them on display, which that alone would up your cool factor hehe 😎
The shear number of razors I've bought has more than clogged my available display space. Just this morning, I decided to buy an acrylic test tube holder (holds 12) as a way of seeing whether I could use it as a way to display more of what I've got (and make them visible for me to use). The rack arrives tomorrow. We'll see how it goes 🤞

It really does make it more exciting to get a 195 as your first razor, since it does shave nicely. Unfortunately I already had a collection of Techs, Superspeeds, long & short combs and old types, so to me it didn't perform any better. I have a Slim & Slim Aristocrat that I actually prefer that get much more use. They shave as well as the 195, but are more streamlined & maneuverable.

It really does make it more exciting to get a 195 as your first razor, since it does shave nicely. Unfortunately I already had a collection of Techs, Superspeeds, long & short combs and old types, so to me it didn't perform any better. I have a Slim & Slim Aristocrat that I actually prefer that get much more use. They shave as well as the 195, but are more streamlined & maneuverable.
Although the issue of which Gillette Adjustable is the best razor is virtually impossible to resolve objectively, I will cast my vote just as @ShaverAZ. I've used Fatboys, Slims, and Super Adjustables. They are all fine shaving machines, I just like the balance of durability and maneuverability embodied in the Slim. I probably doesn't hurt that the Slim was released during my birth quarter :) (1961 Q3). The Fatboy is just a little, well, chunky. The Super Adjustable feels too light and slightly fragile to me. If I could just put a Slim head on a Fatboy body, ....

I did, however, just pick something up this morning that I'm dying to throw into this mix of which "mainstream" Adjustable is the best. Behold, the 1958 D3 Gillette Executive pictured on the left below!
PXL_20220701_170251377.jpg

I did, indeed, buy this Executive in an estate sale as part of these four razors--THREE Adjustables and a stepchild black handled Super Speed (a nice-shaving razor in its own right). They are all pictured in the condition in which I found them. Only the Executive would even open. The other three are firmly frozen shut, and I will be giving them a hot ultrasonic cleaning. Say a prayer for these razors. I'll post a follow up after I give them some razor spa treatment.

Last edited:
Ahhhh Fat Boys... it started with just two of them, but I've kept it below 10. If you look in the right spots, you can find them for some embarrassingly low prices in good condition, and sometimes cased. Oddly enough, I noticed your Fat Boy only goes to setting "9" and while all of my Fat Boys look Lile yours, they go to "11"......

I did, however, just pick something up this morning that I'm dying to throw into this mix of which "mainstream" Adjustable is the best. Behold, the 1958 D3 Gillette Executive pictured on the left below!
View attachment 1481359
I did, indeed, buy this Executive in an estate sale as part of these four razors--THREE Adjustables and a stepchild black handled Super Speed (a nice-shaving razor in its own right). They are all pictured in the condition in which I found them. Only the Executive would even open. The other three are firmly frozen shut, and I will be giving them a hot ultrasonic cleaning. Say a prayer for these razors. I'll post a follow up after I give them some razor spa treatment.
You’re going to need more test tube holders at this rate. :biggrin1:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

View attachment 1481359

Oh my gosh, that Executive looks absolutely gorgeous! 😍 The other's are most certainly more grungy looking for sure, and I agree, if you can't even open the doors, they need an ultrasonic deep cleaning for sure! Don't forget to give them a proper oiling after the cleaning process. they will need that lube love lol.

You know why I think they call it the Executive? Because thats exactly the kind of DE razor, one might expect to see, on your bosses executive desk. That clearly is a razor of supreme refinement, no other's dare challenge its awesomeness!

Thanks for sharing!

Well, it appears that you've found "the one" and can stop searching...or keep going, you know, just to be sure.

Glad it has worked so well for you.

Quick addition to the story of my Fatboy:

I made an offer that was about 30% less than marked, and the clerk called the owner to see if she would accept. She did, and she also told him that it was her deceased father's razor.

This might sound dumb, but somehow I feel a duty to take great care of it.
Color me jealous!

View attachment 1481359
I'm beginning to accumulate cheap junk-condition razors for parts to use in refurbishing other razors. I have yet another #160 Goodwill cap & bottom plate that came without a ball end on the handle. Over a couple of days I've got some donor razors in the mail, as well as a couple that should be cleaned up and replated.
It's amazing how many razors have been just left for crud and soap scum to accumulate over the years. Fortunately, Scrubbing Bubbles dissolves the soap scum (I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner) and all razors now function as smooth as new.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

proxy.php

Its been awhile since I made a post here, as I was waiting to do something substantial enough, to warrant a new update post. lol - Today I had one of the best shaves I ever had, with my Gillette Fatboy razor. If you read my previous posts, then you know in what order that I did things, with this razor. Here are the changes, as well as some things, in which stayed the same.

(1) Gillette Fatboy Razor
(2) Wizamet SR Blade
(3) CC Starry Night Bowl
(4) APShave G5C Brush
(5) BGS CJ Soap
(6) BGS Aftershave
(7) Stirling Alum Block

I decided that today was going to be the day that I take the risk, and test my Fatboy razor out, on my first WTG passes, on level 9. Yes, I skipped past aggressive and took it to holy shweets! Now of course, I was expecting this razor to bight the ever living snot out of me, as my Merkur Futur, or Rex Ambassador, would have on their level 6's! But to my surprise, the razor was shaving really smoothly on level 9, and took off all the bulk, leaving my face to feel like almost BBS!!! 😲

I am sure there is plenty of science to explain how all that happened so efficiently. But hands down the Fatboy wins the title for best razor in my collection, to achieve the closest shave, in single WTG passes! I then proceeded to do my XTG & DTG passes on level 7. Yes, equally brave, but equally smooth, and got it done! I finished off by doing my ATG passes on levels 3 and 5. By the time I was done, only slight buffing was required in my typical problem areas.

100% BBS shave acquired... Achievement unlocked = Godlike Shave!

Score: 10 out of 10

If you ever wondered if the Gillette Fatboy might be the razor for you, I think this post just answered your question. So what are you waiting for? Get yourself a Gillette Fatboy, and realize, Gillette already figured it out years ago, no need to re-invent the wheel. WOW my face feels good right now, smells good too WOOHOO! 😁

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
proxy.php

Its been awhile since I made a post here, as I was waiting to do something substantial enough, to warrant a new update post. lol - Today I had one of the best shaves I ever had, with my Gillette Fatboy razor. If you read my previous posts, then you know in what order that I did things, with this razor. Here are the changes, as well as some things, in which stayed the same.

(2) Wizamet SR Blade
(3) CC Starry Night Bowl
(4) APShave G5C Brush
(5) BGS CJ Soap
(6) BGS Aftershave
(7) Stirling Alum Block

I decided that today was going to be the day that I take the risk, and test my Fatboy razor out, on my first WTG passes, on level 9. Yes, I skipped past aggressive and took it to holy shweets! Now of course, I was expecting this razor to bight the ever living snot out of me, as my Merkur Futur, or Rex Ambassador, would have on their level 6's! But to my surprise, the razor was shaving really smoothly on level 9, and took off all the bulk, leaving my face to feel like almost BBS!!! 😲

I am sure there is plenty of science to explain how all that happened so efficiently. But hands down the Fatboy wins the title for best razor in my collection, to achieve the closest shave, in single WTG passes! I then proceeded to do my XTG & DTG passes on level 7. Yes, equally brave, but equally smooth, and got it done! I finished off by doing my ATG passes on levels 3 and 5. By the time I was done, only slight buffing was required in my typical problem areas.

If you ever wondered if the Gillette Fatboy might be the razor for you, I think this post just answered your question. So what are you waiting for? Get yourself a Gillette Fatboy, and realize, Gillette already figured it out years ago, no need to re-invent the wheel. WOW my face feels good right now, smells good too WOOHOO! 😁
Nice razor, I always get great shaves with my Gillette Fatboy E3.

proxy.php

(2) Wizamet SR Blade
(3) CC Starry Night Bowl
(4) APShave G5C Brush
(5) BGS CJ Soap
(6) BGS Aftershave
(7) Stirling Alum Block

Welcome back SWCT. I was getting a little worried.

Good to hear from you!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Welcome back SWCT. I was getting a little worried.

Good to hear from you!

Thank you Alum Ladd!

I really struggled after things went down a couple months ago. I didn't want to participate on B&B anymore, because I feared that I would be attacked at any moment. Its been difficult trying to nudge myself to return to regular posting. But I notice that I am beginning to post more, so I guess that would be considered returned lol.

I have some purchases in the works for September, and maybe its going to blow some people's minds, some quality drool generation I might say. I am also going to be upgrading my shave den a little bit, in order for it to handle my ever increasing supply of razors and software. So that will make for some fun posts I suppose.

Thanks for chiming in!

Thank you Alum Ladd!

I really struggled after things went down a couple months ago. I didn't want to participate on B&B anymore, because I feared that I would be attacked at any moment. Its been difficult trying to nudge myself to return to regular posting. But I notice that I am beginning to post more, so I guess that would be considered returned lol.

I have some purchases in the works for September, and maybe its going to blow some people's minds, some quality drool generation I might say. I am also going to be upgrading my shave den a little bit, in order for it to handle my ever increasing supply of razors and software. So that will make for some fun posts I suppose.

Thanks for chiming in!
Well I don't give a darn if you are just planning on buying a BIC metal and a stick of Arko! going forward, just glad you are well and in communication again.

Really glad you are enjoying your 195 and are getting turned on to vintages!

All the best!

Last edited:
Top Bottom