What's new

I just found a 1959 Gillette Fatboy found for $10! Not joking!

Hello,

So today I was at this antique store today and was in the basement and found the barn doors of a safety razor. I looked inside and found a Fatboy. I couldn't read the price so I asked the lady and she told me that it was $10. I immediately paid for it. I am still completely stunned. I looked at the date code and it was E-1.

Here are the pics before I clean the thing. I don't need to do much to it.

Attachments

• 20200520_131754.jpg
    20200520_131754.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 126
  • 20200520_125747.jpg
    20200520_125747.jpg
    858.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 20200520_125804.jpg
    20200520_125804.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 121

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Wow! I got an E3 last year on vacation and paid a whopping $15. It's nice too, but yours looks new! Excellent find. I'm not crazy about mine, kinda boring to be honest, but I love the engineering of it and don't plan to part with it.

Again, excellent find. Gives us all hope for searching in the wild!

Wow! I got an E3 last year on vacation and paid a whopping $15. It's nice too, but yours looks new! Excellent find. I'm not crazy about mine, kinda boring to be honest, but I love the engineering of it and don't plan to part with it.

Again, excellent find. Gives us all hope for searching in the wild!

It's not exactly new. It is a bit grungy but with soap and water it will clean up nicely. $15 is a good deal too!

FarmerTan

It's not exactly new. It is a bit grungy but with soap and water it will clean up nicely. $15 is a good deal too!
Yeah, I was shocked, but the price on the Bay made me think of never get one. And that was like 9 months ago! Now the Bay prices are crazy!

Yeah, I was shocked, but the price on the Bay made me think of never get one. And that was like 9 months ago! Now the Bay prices are crazy!

I was planning on getting one sometime in the future but the prices are nuts. I'm glad I found this one! I just cleaned the razor and it almost looks brand new. It's still slightly grungy but it definitely will work hopefully. It was a steal!!

FarmerTan

I admit, I have not even cleaned mine! Just ran it under hot water. I was on vacation when I found it and the only toothbrush I had I was using in my mouth for a week!

Lol, I guess I could have used my wife's....

I admit, I have not even cleaned mine! Just ran it under hot water. I was on vacation when I found it and the only toothbrush I had I was using in my mouth for a week!

Lol, I guess I could have used my wife's....

Ha ha! She probably wouldn't have noticed. Maybe taste some 60 year old soap scum but not too bad lol. Mine needed just a slight cleaning since the knob was a bit sticky but I just cleaned her up and she's ready to go.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello,

So today I was at this antique store today and was in the basement and found the barn doors of a safety razor. I looked inside and found a Fatboy. I couldn't read the price so I asked the lady and she told me that it was $10. I immediately paid for it. I am still completely stunned. I looked at the date code and it was E-1.

Here are the pics before I clean the thing. I don't need to do much to it.
Looks like a nice one, buying at the antique store can be a better deal because you don't pay shipping but then again you had to drive to the antique store unless its locally. I really like my Fatboy, settings from 5-7 seem to be my sweet spot & also on my Slim. I find the Fatboy feels good in the hand.
Have some great shaves!

Looks like a nice one, buying at the antique store can be a better deal because you don't pay shipping but then again you had to drive to the antique store unless its locally. I really like my Fatboy, settings from 5-7 seem to be my sweet spot & also on my Slim. I find the Fatboy feels good in the hand.
Have some great shaves!

Thanks! The store was local, like 10 minutes away from my fiancee's house. I was with my fiancee just checking out antique stores and found it! I wasn't planning on buying anything but once I saw the Fatboy, I couldn't pass it up. I have a Slim and the sweet spot for me is 5 so I'll try the Fatboy on the same setting and see how it does.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Every collection needs a Fatboy, especially at that value.

Where are there any antique stores open right now ? ... none around here in California, that's for sure.
Locked up tight.

Every collection needs a Fatboy, especially at that value.

Where are there any antique stores open right now ? ... none around here in California, that's for sure.

I'm in Indiana and all the antique stores around where I'm at are open. Quite a few of them have some darn good razors. I got a 1920s Old Type yesterday. I was lucky to find the Fatboy just in a cabinet in the basement, probably there for years.

Top Bottom