What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

I just finished reading "Great Expectations"

How the dickens are you abel to read Great Expectations.
You should try the Bar of Avon instead, the Scrumpy can be a mind blowing experience.

I reread this a few months ago and I am half-convinced I never finished it the first time (Middle school) as I just did not remember the last bit. On the reread - it does not help that Pip is just so unlikeable through about 80% of the novel. I do get the point in many ways that's what makes the end more perhaps remarkable, but it is a long slog through the dreary inexplicable disdain towards "common people" due to an accident of "random" wealth through way too much of the novel to make it a "fun read" :/

I did Great Expectations earlier this year as an audiobook -over 50 years after Cliff's Noting/faking my way through it as required junior HS reading. I hadn't retained any of it save the cobwebbed cake .. It wasn't bad in segments while on the daily walk.

BigFoot

We Don't Smoke Marijuana In Muskogee!
I just cannot get into books written in the 19th century or even early 20th century. I love horror and really wanted to like Dracula and Frankenstein. They were good but so hard to read.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ambassador
Reactions: Avi
Top Bottom