What's new

I just destroyed an old brush / no tools restoration

Nice job. I've actually destroyed a brush before. It had a metal band set into the handle around the knot. I pulled the knot and started to grind the metal band trying to soften the plastic around it enough it'd come free. Went too hot and the brush exploded into smoke and flame (vintage plastics are highly flammable by the way). The sink I work by had the water shut off and before I could get it back on a hole the size of a quarter had been burned through the wall off the brush. Was a nice marbled butterscotch Klenzo too. :(

That looks like an EverReady or possibly Rubberset to me.

Last edited:
Nice job. I've actually destroyed a brush before. It had a metal band set into the handle around the knot. I pulled the knot and started to grind the metal band trying to soften the plastic around it enough it'd come free. Went too hot and the brush exploded into smoke and flame (vintage plastics are highly flammable by the way). The sink I work by had the water shut off and before I could get it back on a hole the size of a quarter had been burned through the wall off the brush. Was a nice marbled butterscotch Klenzo too. :(

That looks like an EverReady or possibly Rubberset to me.

Yea, same thing happened to me with an old Ever Ready that belonged to my wife's grandfather :crying::crying: Since then I have really backed off of restoring handles

I've had several with metal rings. Before they had polyester to make glue plugs to make knots some gathered the hair into metal rimgs which were then glued into the handle. I just bore the old knot out and leave the ring in for fear of damaging the ferrule.

Some of the old ferrules were made of celluloid, which will definitely burn rapidly if heated up enough.

Nice recovery though, looks great. What is silicone eopxy? Sounds loke a non sequiter to me.

I've had several with metal rings. Before they had polyester to make glue plugs to make knots some gathered the hair into metal rimgs which were then glued into the handle. I just bore the old knot out and leave the ring in for fear of damaging the ferrule.

Some of the old ferrules were made of celluloid, which will definitely burn rapidly if heated up enough.

Nice recovery though, looks great. What is silicone eopxy? Sounds loke a non sequiter to me.

I may have mispoke as I didn't have the packaging with me when I posted. It was a two part putty that can be used for repairs in areas that are exposed to water. There was an outer layer of blue and an inner layer of white in a tube shape. You cut off the desired amount and worked it in your fingers until the colors blended together. At that point, you could press it into the desired shape (in my case, rebuilding the shelf for the knot to sit) and then it would harden.

It absolutely was NOT silicone as it did not set to a rubbery consistency. It dried to a hard surface that could be drilled/sanded.

Sorry for the confusion :blushing: Although I couldn't speak to what the OP used...

Last edited:
Top Bottom