What's new

I just bought a Schick Krona!

Just wanted to reaffirm something:
I shaved last night with my 62' Super speed.
I love how it feels when it shaves and the feedback that it gives. But the Krona does a better end job. I don't get how it can be so smooth and so efficient at the same time.
Something about the Schick head design that makes it the superior shaver. Bottom line is that I can't believe how good this thing works!
My Slim adjustable & Super adjustable arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to see if adjusting the blade gap on those can compete with the Krona.
I'm discovering that not all blades work geat in my SUper sspeeds or Slim, but they do work for a close & smooth shave in the Kronas. A great blade in the Super Speed will usually also give a fine shave in thre Krona, but a blade working nicely in a Krona could well be junk in the Super Speed
For Shark week, the Shark Platinums are harsh ¢rap in nearly al my razors, but are impressively smooth in the Krona.
So, select blades that shave the best in your Super Speed, and it shpuld work great in the krona, too. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

I'm discovering that not all blades work geat in my SUper sspeeds or Slim, but they do work for a close & smooth shave in the Kronas. A great blade in the Super Speed will usually also give a fine shave in thre Krona, but a blade working nicely in a Krona could well be junk in the Super Speed
For Shark week, the Shark Platinums are harsh ¢rap in nearly al my razors, but are impressively smooth in the Krona.
So, select blades that shave the best in your Super Speed, and it shpuld work great in the krona, too. Adjust your expectations accordingly.
That's good to know. Issue is that Gillette Platinum is my go to blade. They seem to work great in the Super Speeds. And of course in the Krona. But the Krona still shaves better. Meaning, I think a great blade in the SS works as you say in the Krona, but the Krona still shaves better. I'm aware though that I need to experiment more. Maybe I'm being premature in my assessment. We'll see my future results!

I am the fortunate recipient of a fine PIF where I received a gold Krona DE razor that apparently was made in 1976 to celebrate the bicentennial.

IMG_20220810_175614532.jpg

This razor is in amazing condition. I have heard such good things about the Krona and can't wait to try it!

I am the fortunate recipient of a fine PIF where I received a gold Krona DE razor that apparently was made in 1976 to celebrate the bicentennial.

View attachment 1502810

This razor is in amazing condition. I have heard such good things about the Krona and can't wait to try it!
That's beautiful!
I still can't figure out or explain how the Krona shaves so well.
You're gonna love it!

I used the Krona this morning. For me it performs better than the Super Speed razors of the same era (1960s-70s). It might be because the angle is more intuitive to me: I seem to prefer steep to shallow. My guess is that if you like the 1960s-70s Gillette flare tips, you will also like the Krona (and you might even like the Krona better).

I used the Krona this morning. For me it performs better than the Super Speed razors of the same era (1960s-70s). It might be because the angle is more intuitive to me: I seem to prefer steep to shallow. My guess is that if you like the 1960s-70s Gillette flare tips, you will also like the Krona (and you might even like the Krona better).
If you go back to my initial use of the Krona, you'll see that I had the same results. My first vintage was the 63' Flare tip and then came the Krona. The Flare tip is great but the Krona is undoubtedly better at doing the job. The Flare tip for me feels better in terms of blade feel & agressiveness but the Krona's end result is better. It's smoother and shaves closer.
So far the only other Gillette I own that can match the Krona is my 62' Slim adjustable.

I find the Krona to be a finicky razor. It is mild and has a very narrow angle of attack. Great care must be taken to find and maintain the shave angle. It has a place in my rotation but I don’t really like it snd it doesn’t shave nearly as well as a SuperSpeed or any other Gillette.

I find the Krona to be a finicky razor. It is mild and has a very narrow angle of attack. Great care must be taken to find and maintain the shave angle. It has a place in my rotation but I don’t really like it snd it doesn’t shave nearly as well as a SuperSpeed or any other Gillette.
It's a standard 30 degree shave angle razor. That's the angle I shave with on any razor. So it works fine for me without having to find any special angle. And as mild as it is (because it is very mild), I still get a more efficient shave than the Super Speeds. Another YMMV example!

I just had a shave with my Krona with a Feather blade. I wanted to try it out with a really sharp blade!
I had a weird experience with this combo:
The Feathers have always given me an extremely close shave but at the expense of some harshness.
With the Krona I got a very smooth shave with zero harshness but the shave wasn't as close. I didn't expect this at all from a Feather blade!
The only other blades I've used on the Krona are the Gillette Platinum's. Those have given me incredible smoothness
and total efficiency that has resulted in mega close shaves.
Anyways, that was my experience with that!
I think I'll skip the Feather's for this one.
I'll continue trying other blades in the Krona to see if any are as good as the GP's!

Shave report:
I've got all these beautiful and great performing vintage Gillette's: Fatboy, Slim, Flare tip etc..
I've been giving them all the shaves to make comparisons and tonight I went back to my Krona. I used it with a Nacet blade for the first time. I've been using Gillette Platinum's since the first time I used it.
Man, I'm torn!
I want to be nice and give them all first place but it's really hard after shaving again with the Krona.
I hate to say it but it's the one that performs best. The closeness that I got with this shave is unreal. And my face felt like I hadn't shaved. Absolutely zero feeling that anything was messing with my skin. Granted, I need to keep trying other blades in the others as well. But so far the Krona takes the cake!
The Krona does lack two things that I really like and that's blade feel & audible feedback. Both are minimal with the Krona, so the Gillette's take that prize. But the end result medal goes to the Krona which means that I can deal without having those two things. The way the shave result feels & looks is more important to me.
Anyways, that was my Schick shave today!
LRod

An unexpected auction won today!

I have a late 60's Schick Krona that I love. Since I bought it, I said that I would look for one that is "New old stock".
Well, I ended up woth two of them that are "New old stock", LOL!!
Incredible price at $26 for the pair:

full

It's a standard 30 degree shave angle razor. That's the angle I shave with on any razor. So it works fine for me without having to find any special angle. And as mild as it is (because it is very mild), I still get a more efficient shave than the Super Speeds. Another YMMV example!
I love my Schick double edge razors. Always a treat for me to use, especially when I travel. I have the Eversharp gray handle, and several Schick Kronas with plastic and metal tto knobs. They all give me great shaves and I agree, the Superspeed family of razors doesn't seem to do quite as well. Haven't found a blade yet that the Krona didn't like. I use a Gillette Knack once in a while and find that it too gives a nice, comfortable and close shave. Even though the Knack is technically a Superspeed, I believe the longer handle contributes to the better resultant shave. Both nice mild razor designs. Both can be had for fairly reasonable prices. Any one of them would probably last a lifetime, plastic handles or no.

$10 :D
So folks, in my new quest of looking and learning about vintage razors, I ran into a metal tip Krona. I had read about them here (on old threads) and kind of overlooked them. But today I was browsing through a "popular online buying & selling venue" and ran into this one. I accidentally saw it because the seller didn't even list the name of the razor and it was in the Men's grooming section. I saw the other stuff they have for sale and it's not shaving related at all so I guess it's something that they just came across and decided to sell it for cheap.
Listed for $13 and I had a credit of $3, so I paid $10. Looks like a good deal for this not very talked about vintage DE. And it seems to be in nice shape.
Your comments & experience with a Krona is welcome!

Here it is:

full
Great razor, I have been using one on and off for the past 9 years or so good luck

Just finished shaving with my krona and a feather blade lathered with yardley bar soap. Not much blade feedback, but I must say it was a fantastic shave. Imo neck and neck with my 1958 red tip for closeness but smoother. I believe the krona is from 1966? Can anyone tell me if the krona razors become more mild from start to end of production? Thank you in advance

Just finished shaving with my krona and a feather blade lathered with yardley bar soap. Not much blade feedback, but I must say it was a fantastic shave. Imo neck and neck with my 1958 red tip for closeness but smoother. I believe the krona is from 1966? Can anyone tell me if the krona razors become more mild from start to end of production? Thank you in advance
Wow! The Red tip is a more aggressive razor. I've found it to be nothing like the Krona. But goes to show how all these razors are different for everyone.
From my understanding the older Kronas are supposed to be a tad more aggressive than the newer ones. But honestly I can't tell the difference. I had an early silver tip and my current one is a '68 and they feel the same.

Top Bottom