What's new

I just bought a Schick Krona!

$10 :D
So folks, in my new quest of looking and learning about vintage razors, I ran into a metal tip Krona. I had read about them here (on old threads) and kind of overlooked them. But today I was browsing through a "popular online buying & selling venue" and ran into this one. I accidentally saw it because the seller didn't even list the name of the razor and it was in the Men's grooming section. I saw the other stuff they have for sale and it's not shaving related at all so I guess it's something that they just came across and decided to sell it for cheap.
Listed for $13 and I had a credit of $3, so I paid $10. Looks like a good deal for this not very talked about vintage DE. And it seems to be in nice shape.
Your comments & experience with a Krona is welcome!

Here it is:

full

Last edited:
$10:D
So folks, in my new quest of looking and learning about vintage razors, I ran into a metal tip Krona. I had read about them here (on old threads) and kind of overlooked them. But today I was browsing through a "popular online buying & selling venue" and ran into this one.
I accidentally saw it because the seller didn't even list the name of the razor and it was in another section. I saw the other stuff they have for sale and it's not shaving related at all.
They essentially just titled the listing as:
"Vintage safety razor"
Listed for $13 and I had a credit of $3, so I paid $10. Looks like a good deal for this not very talked about vintage DE. And it seems to be in nice shape.

Here it is:

full
I got one delivered the other day, haven't used it yet, apparently somewhat mild like techlet us know how you get on with it 👍💯🔥

I like short handles as well. But I guess I got it because it's collectible and was cheap. Probably won't be used very often (or maybe yes, Lol!).
Depends how I like it.
I believe they are much sought after, being rarer than Gillettes. They were and are held in high regard.

If they are as good as the Schick Super Stainless vintage blades that are being tested out here then it will be an amazing shaver.

Build quality is said top notch too, even by the excellent standards of the day.

You got a great score there :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good deal and looks like prior owner looked after it.
If you find it to mild I would just try a Kai SS extra wide blade, those razors where designed for speed and out the door to work IMO. I have read many good reviews about the Schick Krona razor for being a smooth shave(irritation free mostly). I like the handle design, any handle with a taper & some grip surface indentations is a winner and much superior to other handles for less chance of slipping out of your hand.
You just do not see modern handles use this know taper handle design and our prior generations used more common sense ideas some times. I have 2 tapered handle razors and l really enjoy using them for the unique feel in my hand.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My very first razor ... Schick Krona! I clearly remember my older brother dragging me down to the local Rexall Drug store back around 1969 and forcing me to buy my own razor ..... instead of a Gillette Super Speed, I got a Krona. Both had the black handles but the Krona had already gone over to the black knob. It had some brand recognition for me since I'd been using my dad's injector up to that time. Unbelievably, I still have that razor! I think it was 79¢ with some blades.

Santana's first album was on the charts then.

1659139697510.png

Great!

One of most lovely razors, does not matter the price.

Just works.

I love all mine four Schicks, one always in the bathroom didn't come for the family picture.
View attachment 1496432
If I end up liking the Krona, I want to eventually get one of those "new old stock" ones. I see them come up for sale and at a decent price (for now). That's awesome that you have a couple. Nice collectibles!

I recently bought a couple lots of assorted razors. I got several to use for parts for refurbishing a couple of razors, a passel of GEM's and 2 metal tip Kronas. I have numerous plastic tip Kronas but always wanted the metal - now I have 2!
Try your krona with a GSB or other favorite blade, just to see wht it cn do. An then - try one of your least favorite blades. You'll find that there are very few blades that won't give you a great shave.

$10 :D
So folks, in my new quest of looking and learning about vintage razors, I ran into a metal tip Krona. I had read about them here (on old threads) and kind of overlooked them. But today I was browsing through a "popular online buying & selling venue" and ran into this one. I accidentally saw it because the seller didn't even list the name of the razor and it was in the Men's grooming section. I saw the other stuff they have for sale and it's not shaving related at all so I guess it's something that they just came across and decided to sell it for cheap.

Here it is:

full
I have a Schick Krona and love it. It genuinely is a good razor. I always get good, easy shaves from it. But what I like best is the audible feedback I get from it. The head is light so it makes a nice sound to me while it's cutting hair.

Congratulations. Nice score for $10.

I use Gillette Nacet blades in it. Try it out a few times then let us know what you think.

I recently bought a couple lots of assorted razors. I got several to use for parts for refurbishing a couple of razors, a passel of GEM's and 2 metal tip Kronas. I have numerous plastic tip Kronas but always wanted the metal - now I have 2!
Try your krona with a GSB or other favorite blade, just to see wht it cn do. An then - try one of your least favorite blades. You'll find that there are very few blades that won't give you a great shave.
My favorite blade (right now) is the Gillette Platinum, Seems to work on every razor for a super smooth shave. Voskhod would be the worst for me. I guess I'll try both and see!

Top Bottom